View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #108
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Being away 14 months and having to cut a whopping 46 pounds in order to make weight for the fight were also issues
Undoubtedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
we'll never know what would have happened had Rashad not tried to foolishly stand and strike with an opponent who was four inches bigger than him last Memorial Day weekend - in a pathetic effort to prevent a bunch of beer-guzzlers who make $10 an hour from booing him.
I was puzzled that Rashad never shot on Machida, but I don't think he was ever going to win that fight. Machida has great takedown defense, and he's faster than Rashad. It wasn't just wrestling that Rashad used to beat Rampage; he was basically untouchable in the stand-up exchanges, because he was so much quciker than Jackson. The situation was reversed last year: Evans couldn't touch Machida, but kept getting tagged himself.

Quote:
Maybe if [Brilz] fought where he belonged - probably 170 - he wouldn't be in a position to get robbed.
I don't get it.

Quote:
It might become real interesting if they put some sort of "title" on the line - as Florian is 0-3 lifetime in title fights, if one counts his loss to Diego in the TUF1 finale as such, and 14-1 otherwise (including his TUF1 semifinal win over Chris Leben).
Florian's struggles in title bouts are well-documented, but obviously irrelevant here. I think he'd have to be a substantial favorite over Sanchez at this point. In fact, if he gets past Maynard and Frankie Edgar wins his rematch with B.J. Penn, Florian might be a slight favorite to capture the title.

Quote:
A factor for second place to Georges St.-Pierre, maybe.
Yeah. No one but GSP is likely to hold that belt any time soon. I consider people like Jon Fitch and such to be "factors" in the division, but I agree with you: GSP looks basically untouchable at the moment.

Quote:
But you should never have to justify a win - and Escudero did win.
I actually disagree. Escudero didn't appear to take the fight seriously and didn't make an effort to finish. If he had been fighting a UFC-caliber opponent, that could have created some real problems for him. And Anderson Silva may be able to get away with spending a round or two showboating instead of fighting, but the Escuderos of the world need to get in there and throw some strikes, or shoot for takedowns, or something.

MMA is an entertainment industry, and Zuffa is an entertainment company. If Escudero expects to be paid for his performances, he needs to perform in such a way that people will pay for the privilege of watching him fight. Otherwise the company is losing money on him.

This is partly the fault of Dan Lauzon and the UFC. Lauzon was totally overmatched here, which facilitated Efrain's treating the fight like a joke.

Quote:
Isn't Dream now "allied" with StrikeForce and M-1, who are co-promoting a show on June 26th in San Jose?
Yes, they co-promote. Dream is getting smashed by Strikeforce, incidentally.

Quote:
Meanwhile, here's a link to my article. Hope you enjoy.
I read the piece. That's quite the conspiracy theory. I disagree that Saturday's fight was lay and pray.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote