View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #109
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
I was puzzled that Rashad never shot on Machida, but I don't think he was ever going to win that fight. Machida has great takedown defense, and he's faster than Rashad. It wasn't just wrestling that Rashad used to beat Rampage; he was basically untouchable in the stand-up exchanges, because he was so much quciker than Jackson. The situation was reversed last year: Evans couldn't touch Machida, but kept getting tagged himself.

Maybe, maybe not; but at least he could have run Machida to a decision. After all, David Heath - another undersized wrestler type who has much less overall ability than Rashad - did.

Quote:
I don't get it.

Jason Brilz is lucky that impersonating a LHW MMA fighter is not a crime. That's what I meant.

Quote:
Florian's struggles in title bouts are well-documented, but obviously irrelevant here. I think he'd have to be a substantial favorite over Sanchez at this point. In fact, if he gets past Maynard and Frankie Edgar wins his rematch with B.J. Penn, Florian might be a slight favorite to capture the title.

More than a few people see Kenny Florian as the Fran Tarkenton or the Jim Kelly of the UFC.

Quote:
Yeah. No one but GSP is likely to hold that belt any time soon. I consider people like Jon Fitch and such to be "factors" in the division, but I agree with you: GSP looks basically untouchable at the moment.

But would GSP move up to 185 if Anderson Silva moves up to 205?

Quote:
MMA is an entertainment industry, and Zuffa is an entertainment company ... he needs to perform in such a way that people will pay for the privilege of watching him fight. Otherwise the company is losing money on him.

You could insert a lot of different names here.

Quote:
Yes, they co-promote. Dream is getting smashed by Strikeforce, incidentally.

But how can you "smash" an ally? It's how the three of them - Strikeforce, M-1 and Dream - are doing against the UFC that counts.

Quote:
I read the piece. That's quite the conspiracy theory. I disagree that Saturday's fight was lay and pray.

That depends on how "lay and pray" is defined; according to the prevailing view within the fan base - or at least that segment of same that screams the loudest - anything other than just standing there and striking equals "lay and pray."

But what about Jamie Yager the other night?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote