View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #111
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
Did you watch the Evans-Machida fight? Rashad never had a chance.
Well the way Rashad approached the fight, of course he didn't.

Quote:
Anthony, I think you drastically overestimate the benefits of dropping a weight class. Brilz looked great against Little Nog, and that fight is the best thing that's ever happened to his career. Fdor Emelianenko is smaller than almost everyone he fights. Rashad is the #3 LHW in the world. Frankie Edgar is the UFC LW champion. Jose Aldo and Urijah Faber could both make 135.

I'm starting to think the benefits of not having to cut weight are a greater advantage than being larger than your opponent. Very few fighters are as effective when they switch to a new weight class.

The late Evan Tanner - who was a close personal friend of some of my closest friends in the industry (even though I never actually met him personally) strongly disagreed with this: A while back his fight vs. David Terrell (the UFC fighter, not the uber-bust NFL receiver!) was on UFC Unleashed; apparently he had recently moved down to 185 from 205, and asked why he did so, Tanner said, and I quote (maybe not word-for-word): "Because I wanted to be more dominant ... more aggressive."

Also, it doesn't play out the same way in the lighter weight classes, where no one has really feared KO power. Thus a fighter who's 5'4" and fighting at 135 is at much less of a disadvantage than a fighter who's 5'9" and fighting at 205.

Quote:
I really doubt it. GSP isn't ducking Anderson Silva, he's fighting at his natural weight class, where he is utterly dominating.

I never claimed he was ducking Anderson Silva per se; however, MW fights typically command higher purses than WW fights, and if he moved up to MW concomitant with Silva's moving up to LHW, where do you think GSP would rank among the middleweights, before even his first fight at that weight class?

Quote:
I didn't mean financially. I meant head-to-head: Melendez over Aoki, Diaz over Sakurai, etc. You know, the actual fights.
That's why two heads are better than one - and three heads are better still.

Quote:
I guess that's what happens when you're used to fights lasting under a minute. He never looked the same after eating that first punch. I think we call that "dish it out but can't take it".

That's the downside of being a front-running "bully" in one's fights: If such a fighter doesn't get the early stoppage, he runs the risk of falling apart like a $20 suit in a nor'easter.

Same goes for Brock Lesnar: If he doesn't win the first round when he fights Shane Carwin, it is very unlikely that he'll win the fight (although I'm certainly not expecting him to neglect to answer the bell for the next round the way Jamie Yager did).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote