View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Agreed. It makes sense when you have a coach who you know will only be around until his current deal is up, but, like you said Mack could easily be around for another 10 years or even 20. Look at guys like JoePa and Bobby Bowden...

Lou Holtz brought this up during last night's game on ESPN. He said he was given a similar offer from OSU and Woody Hayes to be his successor. Holtz said he was told by Hayes he was only planning on coaching another couple of years only to see him hang on for another 9 seasons. Lou said he was glad to have turned it down as he didn't want to be waiting in the wings for Hayes to retire all the while passing up other head coaching gigs. He also talked about the wisdom of taking a lesser job as your first head coaching job just so you can get your legs under you and establish a program that works for you instead of jumping right into the fire at a school like Texas that expects you to win right away.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote