View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 04:09 AM   #11
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Art Shell

Art Shell's last year coaching the Raiders was 1994, so it would have been 10 years out of coaching if the Dolphins had offered him the position.

Of course, Dick Vermeil was out for 14 seasons, and the time off doesn't seem to have bothered him. Paul Brown was out of pro football for five seasons before returning to coach the expansion Bengals to the playoffs in their third season. Bill Parcells takes a couple years off every few seasons. So did George Halas. Ted Marchibroda was successful as coach of the Colts after a 12-year layoff.

I think Shell would be a good hire, and the Rooney Rule will have owners considering him. It's shameful that no one hired him eight or nine years ago. Shell was 56-41 in LA, with three playoff appearances, including an AFC Championship Game. In the three years before Shell coached there, the team was 20-27 (no playoffs). In the three years after Shell was fired, the Raiders went 19-29 (no playoffs). By almost any measure, he was a very successful coach.

That said, no one made the Dolphins interview Shell. If the Dolphins wanted to 'play' the process, they easily could have requested interviews with any number of highly-regarded minorities, including but not limited to Romeo Crennel and Ted Cotrell.

It would be ridiculous to invite a high-profile coach -- with a successful résumé and a bust in Canton -- to participate in a process you view as a sham. If you're just going along to play by the rules, you interview someone like Cotrell.

I'd also like to note on a general level that I'm appalled by Anthony's attitude regarding the hiring of minorities to positions of power in the NFL.

===

As an addendum for those who care, here's my response to Anthony's troubling suggestion that struggling teams only hire head coaches with previous experience: it's a brief (and thus incomplete) list of successful "complete unknowns" who took over losing teams:
* Joe Gibbs took over 6-10 Washington, which hadn't been to the playoffs for four years.
* Bill Walsh took over 2-14 San Francisco, which hadn't been to the playoffs for six years.
* George Allen took over the 4-10 Rams, who hadn't been to the playoffs in ten years.
* Dick Vermeil took over 4-10 Philadelphia, which hadn't been to the playoffs for 15 years.
* Chuck Noll took over 2-11-1 Pittsburgh, which hadn't been to the playoffs for 21 years.

That was the first NFL head coaching job for each of the five men I named, all of whom except Vermeil -- not eligible yet -- are in the Hall of Fame.

It's also worth pointing out that Saban is "a complete unknown". Hmm... no problems with Saban, but interviewing Shell is a "ridiculous charade"? And for a last-place team to hire a minority without previous experience "isn't fair to the fans"?

Last edited by Brad O.; 12-23-2004 at 04:11 AM.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote