View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 04:25 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Angry Time To Ban The Prevent Defense!

After watching the Packers roll over and let the Eagles beat them in the last two minutes Monday night, I say enough is enough. Our draconian drug laws are designed to protect people from themselves - so I say NFL teams need to be protected from themselves as well.

The prevent defense should be banned in the last two minutes of a half, game or overtime period. Here's how it would work. At the two-minute warning, the following rules go into effect:

1. Defense must line up with four men on the line of scrimmage, unless the team uses the 3-4 alignment as its regular formation, in which case three men on the line are permitted (the offense has to have seven men on the line of scrimmage on every down, in the last two minutes or not, so what's unfair or inconsistent about this?).

2. All eligible receivers who do not line up in the backfield (i.e., wide receivers and tight ends) must be covered man-to-man. Multiple coverage of an individual receiver is allowed, and the defense is permitted to have one man (presumably a safety) play deep without covering any particular receiver. Running backs (or the quarterback, in the event of a trick play being called) are not required to be covered man-to-man.

3. The penalty for violating either of the above is five yards (no automatic first down) plus the game clock is reset to the time remaining at the end of the previous play, and not restarted until the next snap, even if the previous play was in-bounds (to take any "profit" out of using the illegal defense).

It's time to eradicate the cancer that is the prevent defense from the NFL landscape forever - and this would appear to be the simplest way to do it.

Last edited by Anthony; 11-14-2003 at 09:55 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote