View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004, 05:20 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Cool NFL Pointspread Contest: Week 1

I've been yearning to do this for three years now - so, without further adieu, I hereby announce the start of a new Pick 'Em Contest - one that invites posters to pick the NFL games against the spread rather than straight up, if you dare.

Here's how it works: Whenever possible, all of the games scheduled for that week will be included in the contest. The opening line for each game posted at the Scores And Odds web site will form the basis for the picks. On occasion this service will keep a game off the board initially - generally due to injuries etc. When this arises, a line from an alternate source may be used instead; this will be noted in the thread that starts that week's contest. Rarely, even the latter will not be available until very late in the week, in which event the game in question will be omitted from the contest due to time constraints.

In addition, each poster is required to designate three picks as Best Bets, which will be used to break ties between those who have the same spread records in a given week. Pushes against the spread count as ties (half a win, half a loss) in determining both the overall and Best Bet records.

To encourage as many posters as possible to participate every week, 100 points will be awarded each week from Week 1 through Week 9, to be divided as follows:

..................................Number of Pickers.....................
Finish........8 or More.....7.......6.......5.......4.......3.......2

1st.................57..........58.....59......60......61.....65......75
2nd................18..........18......19......20......21.....23.....25
3rd..................9...........9........9......10......11.....12
4th..................6...........6........6.......6.......7
5th..................4...........4........4.......4
6th..................3...........3........3
7th..................2...........2
8th..................1

The above point values double for Weeks 10 through 13 and triple for Weeks 14 through 17, to help keep everyone in contention longer into the season.

Here are the opening lines for Week 1:

Thursday, September 9:
NEW ENGLAND 3 over Indianapolis (9:05 PM EDT)

Saturday, September 11:
Tennessee 2 over MIAMI

Sunday, September 12:
PITTSBURGH 3 1/2 over Oakland
WASHINGTON 2 1/2 over Tampa Bay
Baltimore 2 1/2 over CLEVELAND
BUFFALO 3 over Jacksonville
N.Y. JETS 3 1/2 over Cincinnati
CHICAGO 3 over Detroit
ST. LOUIS 9 1/2 over Arizona
Seattle 1 over NEW ORLEANS
HOUSTON 4 over San Diego
PHILADELPHIA 9 over N.Y. Giants
MINNESOTA 3 1/2 over Dallas
Atlanta 4 over SAN FRANCISCO
DENVER 3 over Kansas City

Monday, September 13:
CAROLINA 2 over Green Bay

Home teams in CAPS.

NOTE: Picks must be made by kickoff time of the earliest game listed; any picks posted after that time are void and the poster cannot earn any points for that week. Picks submitted without designated Best Bets will be honored, but in case of ties such poster will be deemed to have finished in the lowest of the places tied for. Any game left unpicked (except for those that have no line) counts as an automatic loss, but does not disqualify the poster from earning points for that week.

This contest and the traditional SCMB Pick'em contest are totally separate entities, so posters are free to post picks which do not agree with one another in the two contests; it's perfectly "legal," even though it isn't "ethical" - but since when have degenerate gamblers ever cared about the latter?:lol:

Each week, I will post not only my picks for the games, but I'll also predict a specific final score for each game, accompanied by a brief synopsis explaining the reasons for the pick (as I have been doing here since 2001). No one else is required to do this, however.

Good luck!

Last edited by Anthony; 09-15-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote