View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
But should Billy Sims' patented "hang glide" move from the early '80s merit a nullification penalty? It would, under this rule, because he would typically start it before he actually crossed the goal line.
I'm with you on this one: I don't think plays should be nullified because of taunting; I think they should earn stiff yardage penalties assessed following the play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
That had nothing to do with why the commercial failed to air in the U.S. Rather, the ad featured a Bruno-type character, at least highly effeminate, if not overtly gay (and it was gay-rights groups that persuaded Snickers not to air it here).
I'm not familiar with the ad, but it sounds like this was a marketing decision by Snickers rather than a government-imposed decision based on political correctness or what constitutes offensive speech. It's a basic tenet of business that companies will abandon advertising techniques that do more harm (offending a segment of the population) than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
And I see you haven't even commented on UFC 114 yet. I have - in a full-length article I have submitted for publication on this very site.
I'll post a few thoughts in the appropriate thread. I look forward to reading yours, as well.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote