Thread: Flop Teams
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003, 04:57 PM   #19
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Rick-- that's probably about it with the idiot and moron stuff. Disagreement, even vehement, is fine. I don't actually mind the occasional insult. However, there's nothing gained by it, so once and drop it. Got it?

Meanwhile, on topic and off parenting, I think you selectively remember the Steelers last season. Lee Flowers was only part of the problem. Logan is not a guy you want starting at FS, and Hope being ready is a HUGE question mark, especially if you intend to start a rookie at SS. Washington had an ABYSSMAL year as the #2 corner. How is not replacing him a good thing? Scott was equally guilty at #1 corner? How can not replacing him be a good thing? The Steelers have a cruddy secondary; as cruddy a secondary as their receiving corps is good. If all of your defensive hopes are pinned on Kendrell Bell remaining healthy, your defense is SCREWED. He's two years in the league and appears to be a health risk. Great hitter? Yes. Great potential? Absolutely. The savior of an age-weakened defense? I doubt it.

As for Maddox: if he goes down, or doesn't perform, how the heck is Charlie Batch going to be the answer? Sure, the Steelers have nice receivers, but the ball has to get going in the right direction first. There's been very little from Batch to suggest that he's the right guy to get the ball there. And if Batch is your QB, or the Steelers decide to run the ball every down, you have to be concerned about the offensive line. That right tackle position could be the bugaboo for the '03 Steelers that it was for the '02 Rams and '02 Patriots. And you saw what those teams did down the stretch, right?

Rose-shaded glasses are fine, when they're warranted. If the Steelers were overwhelmingly young, and had stayed the course, there would be reason for hope. The Steelers are aging and really not very good at a couple of positions, some of them critical. If they finish better than 9-7, I'll be pleased.

BTW, I'm a Steelers fan from birth. Ten years ago, I might have thought as you did. I understand the game better now than I did then, and I read more than the Steelers Official Preview Magazine in preparing for the season. The Steelers will finish second in the division IF they can avoid having to go to St Pierre at QB.

Dave