Thread: Marcus Dixon
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2004, 12:31 AM   #7
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

I must say that I most definitely do not agree with the court ruling. Dixon is going to prison for ten years because he had consensual sex with a girl 2, 3 years his junior. When you say it that way, it sounds pretty normal. If the girl was injured, doesn't she have to prove that? I'm assuming she did; but I don't know if the proof is really acceptable, since there would be no way to prove that Dixon caused the injury. Therefore, the jury is left with little, if anything, to base their judgment on, and that is always a difficult situation.

Although I fully oppose the ruling, I cannot agree with how the site gives the story. Should it change anything that Marcus is an honor student or an all-state football player? No, absolutely not. We do not need to know the story of his life to decide if we agree with what is happening. Although justice does not always work like we want it to, if we want to maximize its and our power, then we must not judge on the basis of who the person is. Justice is an all-inclusive principle, and the very fact that whoever it is that is fighting for Marcus give that much personal information constitutes an injustice in my opinion. Well, maybe not an injustice per se, but definitely not something just. We cannot begin to modify justice to our needs in such a way; this has been the cause of many wrongful punishments.