View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #40
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
That is the meaning.
So dedication to something gives it meaning? And if so, can someone dedicate themselves to a value they feel strongly about based on an experience and have the same meaning as one who consumes a discipline?

Quote:
No, especially not formally-- mastering too formally makes it lose its meaning. Again, I would say the posterboy, if you don't mind me generalizing things 10 times more than we already have, would be someone like Beethoven.
Why would formal mastering cause the meaning to evaporate? Is it because formal implies physical world structure?

Quote:
Because dedicating themself is the end-in-itself; because they see something in a way that no one else does.
Ok, but why is that so worthy of respect? Or is it more of an admiration for that person because they've done something or seen something first and mathematically speaking...it's quite impressive to be the first or 1 out of (enter world's population at time of event)?

Quote:
Yes-- it makes other people see something in a new way.
What if I told you I'm having trouble appreciating what Beethoven (or anyone else of this ilk you speak of) did? Can I still have meaning in my life? What could you do to convince someone of its importance? How would you approach that situation?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote