View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #41
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

This, I think, is going to explain it all-- and I hope doesn't come off as too harsh:

I go to Sheetz. I see the guy behind the counter. He works 40 hours a week, goes home, watches TV, fishes, and that's about his entire being.

If you are him, what's the point of even getting up in the morning? Yeah, I know that he keeps the economy and world moving, he's necessary, etc. But what does he have to offer the world? Nothing. He's just a thoughtless guy who might as well never existed; he lives like 99.99% of the rest of the world.

But take Beethoven... here is a guy who saw the world in a way that no one else did. And he contributed to making the world see things in a different way.

Quote:
What if I told you I'm having trouble appreciating what Beethoven (or anyone else of this ilk you speak of) did? Can I still have meaning in my life? What could you do to convince someone of its importance? How would you approach that situation?
I'd say that they can have little meaning, if any. I would approach the situation by just moving on... I wouldn't try and convince them the other way... they're not going to see it, plus they could get offended. (I made an exception for you, though )
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote