View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tobynosker
The Phoenix Suns were well aware of Amare Stoudemire's knee problems during contract negotiations (Stoudemire's five-year, $73 million contract extension doesn't begin until after this season).

From the report that I read, the extent of the knee damage wasn't determined until Tuesday during diagnostic arthroscopic surgery by team doctor Thomas Carter, where he looked to determine the amount of cartilage damage to the knee. When more damage than expected was found, Carter then proceeded with the microfracture surgery to repair the joint surface defect in his left knee.

When the defect was found during an MRI scan, the Suns treated Amare Stoudemire symptomatically. But, as those symptoms elevated, the Suns decided to operate and treat it more aggressively, rather than have a lingering problem potentially later in the season.

I don't think you can be pissed off at Stoudemire, because he went into yesterday's procedure for what he thought was a minor surgery, but became more serious than anyone had expected. It was the team's decision to treat Stoudemire symptomatically, and then decide on the surgery.

I think it is easy to say that Stoudemire was money-hungry (and I won't deny that he isn't a money hungry person; I heard Mike Wilbon during ESPN's Pardon The Interruption say that the average salary of an NBA player is $4 million a year: They all sound money-hungry to me) in waiting to do something about the injury until after he signed his new extension, but I don't think that was at all the case in this situation. I think it was all a matter of unfortunate circumstances.
The rumblings I hear from some of my friends at the NBC affiliate in Phoenix is that Stoudemire had complained about this pain long enough to the point where the severity shouldn't only be coming out now. That is to say, the organization knew something was wrong. This guy is your franchise. You're sinking your entire future into him. I have to say, if my prize investment even complains of a headache, I'm running as many extensive tests on him as I can because, damn it, you have to protect your investment.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote