View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 05:17 PM   #28
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by RaviPachai18
I'd be more inclined to agree with Kevin and Lee. Look at his record when it comes to missing cuts (rather...not missing them). And Noon...your point is only somewhat valid, look at the history of golf and you will see that it is not uncommon for top players to have winning streaks, when you're hot you're hot...and you shouldn't be surprised when it happens in golf.

I don't agree with Marc's comments and I think Lee's are warranted because Marc's post has a very condescending tone towards it. I think Marc also lacks some understanding in golf and should read Lee's post carefully. According to Marc anyone but the 4 major winners or big tournament winners are in a slump...com'on, no sport works like that, why is golf any different?

Yeah, he hasn't won every tournament this season (which is still early so I don't think it's fair to pass such comments yet), and he still has some kinks to work out with his driving and his putting. But com'on, if you watch any tournament with Tiger, his name usually isn't too far from the first page or two of the leaderboard. If you ask me, someone who can pull that off consistently, even if they aren't winning every tournament is not in any slump.
fair enough. I'm not sure if I didn't make my point clear enough or I did, and you think I'm wrong, which is okay too.

I happen to believe a slump is based on a subjective opinion. Barry Bonds goes six games without hitting a home run and people start using the word slump. It's not really fair and it wouldn't apply to anyone else in MLB, but it's what we've come to expect. The talk with Tiger has been more prevelant because he doesn't play in that many tournaments and there tends to be a long time in between.

You see consistancy in top finishes, I see a lack of dominant winning. I'm well aware of the history of golf and I know golfers get hot sometimes and that it is impossible to win all the time. I also know that if I go out and shoot a 66, then it was an unbelievable round that I should be darn proud of. But if my buddy shoots a 65, he still wins. What the heck can I do about that? I still shot a 66 and it was still a great day for me.

But Tiger was so hot for so long that the general public came to accept that he would stay that way. He hasn't. So either he will once again rise back up to being untouchable or the public's expectations will come back down to earth and people can look at what he's doing and appreciate it, not expect a Grand Slam every year.

I disagree with you more often than not on a lot of issues Ravi (even though I keep my opinions to myself most of the time), but I do appreciate the fact that you can respond with tact, even to someone as thickskulled as me. :banana: (the thrusting banana is for you Lee).

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote