View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road
Default Best All-Time Team of the Milwaukee Brewers (Seattle Pilots)

Note: There will be no Seattle Pilots on this list for two reasons. #1: I couldn't name any Pilots players. #2: They were supposedly horrible anyway. If anyone wishes to amend my list, comment away!

Team Manager - Harvey Kuehn
Hard to argue with the only manager to consistently win in the team's history. Made it to game 7 in 1982 only to see his former catcher, Darrell Porter (midseason trade), beat the Brewers in St. Louis. Harvey was from the "let em play" school of managing, ala Earl Weaver, where everyone knew their role and small-ball was sparingly employed.

Brewers Utility Player - Bill Hall
It's funny that he's been their best middle IF over the last 2 years despite not having a regular starting job until someone gets hurt. Eddie Romero was a fan favorite, but not as productive.

Brewers Pitching Staff
RHP Pete Vuckovich: Won the Cy Young in 1982 and was a contender in 1981 (lost out to his teammate). 93-69 record with 882 strikeouts and a 3.66 ERA in 1455.1 innings pitched. Ben Sheets has the potential to take this spot, but he hasn't done it yet.

LHP Teddy Higuera:Sad to admit this one, but he had little competition. Bob McClure was great in 1982, but he was a reliever otherwise. Doug Davis did pretty well for a couple seasons i guess. Higuera, though the recipient of a too-large and too-long contract, did have several very good seasons before he got that contract-- four straight with 15+ wins and ERA under 4.00 between 1985-88.

Set-up reliever Dan Plesac: He was really a closer for the most part with the Brewers, but too good to leave off this list. Went to the All-Star game three straight years in the late 80s.

Closer Rollie Fingers: 341 career saves. Won the MVP and Cy Young in the strike-shortened 1981 season. Also did darn well for the A's before that. Great moustache.

Brewers Infield
Catcher Ted Simmons: Funny, but we almost had the first repeat winner only two teams in to this all-time thing-- Sundberg was probably #2 on this list after being #1 on Tobynosker's Royals list. Simmons was a power hitter on the 1982 AL Champ team and somehow hit .300 the following year. Though his best years were in St. Louis, he was a key cog on the best Brewers teams ever.

First baseman Cecil Cooper: Apologies to George Scott and Richie Sexson, but Cooper was easily the best the Brewers ever had. Coop hit .352 in 1980 and was over .300 for his first 7 seasons with the Brewers. He won 2 gold gloves and hit for some power as well-- 5 seasons with 20+ HRs and 4 seasons with 100+ RBIs. Great all-around player.

Second baseman Jim Gantner: From Wisconsin and looked like he'd rather be hunting deer. But he could play, especially with the glove. Hit .270-.290 most years. Rickie Weeks has the talent to knock him off, but it hasn't happened yet.

Third baseman Don Money: Like Gantner, Money was known for his glove and competent with the bat. He hit .270-.290 before his body fell apart. Had great range at 3B and once held the record for most errorless games by a 3B.

Shortstop Robin Yount: Won 2 MVPs (one at SS, one in CF) and a gold glove. Played his entire career in Milwaukee, starting at the young age of 18. Had more hits in the 1980s than any other major leaguer. Franchise leader in singles, doubles, triples, HRs, RBIs, and walks.

Brewers Outfield
Left-fielder Ben Oglivie: Judging by the old-timers games, he should still be playing. Great defensive player who could also hit, including a .304 average with 41 HRs in 1980. He was off in 1982 (.244 avg), but still one of the all-time great Brewers when you look at the long run.

Center-fielder Gorman Thomas: Stand clear when this guy was up-- he swung for the fences every time. Epitomized the "Harvey's Wallbangers" not-so-smallball style. Good defensively as well. 39 HRs in 1982, hit 30+ 5 times in all.

Right-fielder Geoff Jenkins: Yeah, I know, he plays in LF now. But my other contenders were Charlie Moore and Dante Bichette. Good choice? Hit 20+ HRs 6 times. Same swinging approach as Gorman Thomas.

Designated hitter Paul Molitor: HOFer who hit .306 in his career. Had trouble staying healthy for a while, but had some great seasons, including a .353 campaign in 1987. The proto-typical leadoff hitter-- hit for average, hit for doubles, stole bases (30+ on 8 occasions). Quickest swing i've ever seen.

All-Time Brewers Line-Up
1.) DH Paul Molitor
2.) SS Robin Yount
3.) 1B Cecil Cooper
4.) CF Gorman Thomas
5.) LF Ben Oglivie
6.) C Ted Simmons
7.) RF Geoff Jenkins
8.) 3B Don Money
9.) 2B Jim Gantner

(Note: If you replaced Jenkins with Charlie Moore, this would be EXACTLY the typical starting lineup for the 1982 Milwaukee Brewers... unless Roy Howell was in for Moneyman. That is not a coincidence. Bring back the glory years!)

Brewers' All-Time Franchise Player: Robin Yount
Career Stats: .288 BA, 3,142 H, 1,406 RBIs, 251 HR and .972 FP
Awards or Honors: Major League Baseball Hall of Fame member, three-time All-Star selection, the 1982 and 1989 American League MVP, and a 1982 Gold Glove winner.

Why the Franchise Player?:
Well, I guess because he played his whole career for the Brewers and holds all their records. Pretty easy pick. Molitor could have made it tougher if he'd stuck around. Does someone want to make the case for Teddy Higuera?
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote