Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Bogut takes shots at Kobe

Anyone see this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060201999.html

Bogut was asked for specifics of the American attitude toward the game, what he does not like. Guess who's name came up?

"There's no one I really hate, but Kobe [Bryant] had a demeanor of being very cocky," he said. "What happened with Shaq. . . . If I had a chance to play with Shaq or Tim, if they told me to buy them groceries, I don't care, I buy them groceries. It's a gift to play with somebody like that. Kobe is probably one of the guys that, everybody knows it, he's got that cocky arrogance to him, everything has to surround around him the whole time. Otherwise, he doesn't function. That's the biggest example.

"If you're playing with Shaquille [O'Neal], a Hall of Famer, you keep your mouth shut and play if you want more rings," Bogut continued.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

yep I saw it. He seems to be just regurgitating the popular opinion in an effort to make a little news for himself and boost his recognition... AKA cheap shot.
Well, that's how it struck me anyway..

Watch for Bogut to get 'posterized' next season.... (if there IS a next season!)
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
Kashchei
Grizzled Veteran

Kashchei is on a distinguished road

And as I post there is a Laker's jersey ad at the top of the page. Coincidence?
Old 06-04-2005, 04:20 AM   #4
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Kashchei
Coincidence?
yep.

But I see three ads up there for a Bryant jersey... which doesn't make sense to me for a number of reasons. How does Google determine which ads to place there?
You would think a D-Wade, Shaq, Ginobili, Stoudemire jersey ad should be up there at the moment..
Old 06-04-2005, 04:25 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, Shawn, but I don't see him regurgitating but being asked his take on those topics. I didn't get any bandwagon type of feel.

As far as boosting his recognition....I think his play will be the determining factor & he knows it. It sounds like he has his head on straight when it comes to playing team ball & if he doesn't when his time comes, I'm sure this article will be force fed to him by the media...
Old 06-04-2005, 04:31 AM   #6
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

That's ok, Tarkus, you're more than welcome to your opinion.
To me it sounded and still sounds like someone who reads all the daily NBA news and commentary and just spitting it right back out. He could have taken the high road and not said anything negative about anyone, but then nothing would have gotten printed or read. I'll give Bogut credit for knowing what he could get away with saying and getting his name in the press as a result.... but I also look forward to having his poster on my wall, with him on the receiving end of a Bryant facial
Old 06-04-2005, 04:52 AM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
yep.

But I see three ads up there for a Bryant jersey... which doesn't make sense to me for a number of reasons. How does Google determine which ads to place there?
You would think a D-Wade, Shaq, Ginobili, Stoudemire jersey ad should be up there at the moment..
The Google ad bot looks for key words on a page and places ads accordingly. That's why there's ads for Kobe here and not the playoff contenders (unless Shawndo triggered them by mentioning them).

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:54 AM   #8
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

yep I just got that when I hit the back button and realized kobe was the only player name mentioned on the page...
Old 06-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #9
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

i think Andrew Bogut he is a bit out of line here- he is not even in the NBA and taking cheap shots a legit superstar already- for all we know he could be the second coming of Sam Bowie. nothing he said is news to anyway- i'd keep it zipped and wait for the draft.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong
i think Andrew Bogut he is a bit out of line here- he is not even in the NBA and taking cheap shots a legit superstar already- for all we know he could be the second coming of Sam Bowie. nothing he said is news to anyway- i'd keep it zipped and wait for the draft.
I agree completely. It's hard to respect a player who hasn't even been drafted yet and is taking cheap shots at one of the game's better players. I dislike Kobe any awful lot be this just seems like a cheap shot.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:18 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I am sure the teams looking to draft him were happy to read this. They are probably thinking oh great now we get to look forward to Kobe dropping 40 on us every time we play the Lakers next season.

This sort of reminds me of the time when Jerry Stackhouse made a comment during his rookie season that he was surprised at how easy it was at the NBA level. Jordan heard about this and the next time the Bulls played the Sixers Jordan made a point of dropping 50+ on Stackhouse just to show him how easy it was at the NBA level. I can see Kobe doing something similar just to show up Bogut.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

First, I'm glad to see someone actually have a personality and not be afraid to speak their mind. Where would we be without the Charles Barkleys of sports? 99% of those involved sound like robots using their tired cliches. Secondly, no one should criticize Bogut because he's actually right on his point! The dude's got balls, and I like that.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:08 AM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

so he's not even in the NBA yet and he's already trashing established players.... I wonder what the great Charles Barkley would say about that? There is something to be said for earning a stripe or two before you open your mouth like that. I'm glad he's got balls too... in fact maybe I'll even draw some on his poster when he's eating the big one.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:17 AM   #14
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

:lol: Shawn...

That's the theme of the NBA today. He's gonna fit right in...:lol:
Old 06-06-2005, 01:22 AM   #15
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

fit right into a few posters...