Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Which Is Your Favorite NFL Preview Magazine?
Athlon 1 20.00%
Lindy's 0 0%
Pro Football Weekly 1 20.00%
The Sporting News 3 60.00%
Street & Smith's 0 0%
Other (specify) 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2005, 04:08 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Question Which Is Your Favorite NFL Preview Magazine?

All of the familiar preseason annual "preview" magazines are now on the newsstands and in bookstores.

Which one do you rely on for the most up-to-date information and analysis of the upcoming season?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

TSN probably isn't the best but I purchased it for several years. After skipping out on it last year, I received the 2005 edition free after a mix up with TSN. I had ordered the Penn State/Ohio State cover for the college football preview (I also have Phil Steele's magazine) but I received the pro football preview by mistake.

Dan Pompei, TSN football writer, is one of the reasons I decided to skip last year's magazine. I opened it up this year and saw that he picked the Packers to finish last in the NFC North. Now I know that the Pack probably won't be favored going into the season but to put them behind the Lions and Bears is ridiculous.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

I think they are all about the same really, and all pretty good overall.

I think Street & Smith's is the one I get most of the time?

Hey Alex, if they stay healthy, the Lions should do pretty good this season. Best wide receivers in the world, good running back, and if Harrington fails, Jeff Garcia is right there to pick up where he did his best with that Marriucci offense.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I wasn't so surprised to see him put Detroit ahead of Green Bay for the reason you mention, but Chicago? Other than signing Mushim Muhammad I didn't think the Bears really did much to improve so far during the offseason. Being a Packer fan I would still put Green Bay ahead of Detroit and Chicago with Minnesota first. Of course that's mostly homerism, as I already stated I can see why someone would be so high on Detroit. However, Charles Rogers needs to stay healthy, something he has yet to do in his brief pro career.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

You are right there,....Rogers really needs to stay healthy big time. I wonder if defenses are going to hit him up high a lot?? Anyhow, can't blame you for picking G.B. above Detroit, ...because thats your team, and you said so, right!?

NOW THATS A FAN!

Go Lions!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:23 AM   #6
Anthony

Of course you can get the definitive preview of each division right here in about a month and a half - for free!

Personally I've leaned toward Lindy's in recent years - but I can't understand how they can say that no unit on any team rates less than a 5.0 out of a maximum of 10 (what did they give the Eagles' offensive line in the 1987 issue, after they gave up 104 sacks in 1986 and didn't spend a single '87 draft pick on an offensive lineman?). This year they're even worse: Apart from the 5.0 given to the St. Louis special teams, no unit on any team received less than a 6.0!

My first introduction to these magazines was the famed Stat-Key Annual back in the early '70s, which included a chart where you could predict the point spreads for dummies! They stopped publishing an NFL edition a year or two into the '90s, although they contiinued to put out a college edition for a few years after that.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #7
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Pompei's picks really were surprising. I saw that Packer pick and just scratched my head. Two other surprising picks were the Chargers going 9-7 and missing the Playoffs to...the Houston Texans. The other was a Bills final record of 4-12. Jeez. I realize Losman isn't battle tested, but they're not a bad team.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:21 AM   #8
Anthony

The Green Bay pick is a bit of a stretch, but the other two are not implausible at all: The Chargers have to take the biggest jump in strength of schedule in the entire NFL in 2005 from what they had played in 2004 (tied with the Falcons actually). And how much does that mean? Well the two teams that made the biggest rise in schedule difficulty in 2004, from what they had played in 2003, were the Rams and the Chiefs - and they went from a combined 25-7 in 2003 to a combined 15-17 in 2004.

As for Buffalo, while 4-12 may be pushing the envelope a little, a losing season is virtually inevitable: They had no first-round pick in April's draft and don't be surprised if Kelly Holcomb ends up taking a significant percentage of the snaps at QB - either because Losman isn't ready yet or because he will get injured operating behind the truly horrible offensive line the Bills have (and the immobile Holcomb could easily get hurt as well).

Last edited by Anthony; 07-02-2005 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think I've purchased most of the ones listed over the last few years. To be honest, I don't have one I stick with everytime. I flip through the ones on the stand each year and see which one is most appealing. No real pattern.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:51 AM   #10
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I like Pro Football Weekly and TSN, though I generally ignore Pompei's crazy predictions and focus more on the work of the other contributors. Nice bits of info.

Street and Smiths and Athlon have been outdated by the time i read them in the past-- are they printed in May?

Anyway, regarding the side-conversation, I don't think the Pack finishing last is implausible, and I'm a fan. They have the division's worst returning defense, which is saying something given the Lions' and Vikes' D backfields last year. A lot will ride on whether Bates can create a quick turnaround with a fast but dumb defense.

The Vikings have the best team, but the other three are pretty even. I think some people underestimate just how much the Bears' various '04 QBs and Joey Harrington suck, those teams get an automatic huge boost if Grossman stays healthy and develops and if Garcia replaces Joey H. early (it's inevitable at some point anyway). Harrington and Krenzel/Hutch/JQuinn put up some performances reminiscent of Randy Wright last year (see Packers-- Dark Ages).
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #11
190 Octane
All-Star Player

I realize Grossman is much better than Quinn, Krenzel, or Hutchinson, but I'm still not sold on him. He's been unable to have a healthy season. Factor in that his receiving corps is less than stellar, and I'd be surprised if he has a breakout season.

Blog
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Grossman could probably stay healthy if he had a line that could actually protect him.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
190 Octane
All-Star Player

So true. The Bears line could very well be the worst in the NFL.

Scratch that. The Bears line is the worst in the NFL.

Blog
Old 07-07-2005, 02:48 AM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by 190 Octane
So true. The Bears line could very well be the worst in the NFL.

Scratch that. The Bears line is the worst in the NFL.

You'll get a good "argument" from the folks in Buffalo about that.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

...and another argument from fans in Miami
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote