Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 07-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road
Default Biggest bust of this season?

after Magglio Ordonez took Randy Johnson deep for his first hit as a Tiger... it got me thinking of who the biggest bust so far season is...

Mags is up there missing all of this season until now. His injury plagued past reared its head again and has made the Tigers looks foolish for dropping so much cash on him.

but the biggest free agent from the off season- Carlos Beltran gets my vote. only 9 homeruns and 4 stolen bases? in only 12 post season games last year he hit 8 homeruns and stole 8 bags.

if i cared about Barry Bonds i'd talk about him too as a bust this season, but i dont so i'll let someone else bring him up.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Mclaren208
Grizzled Veteran

Mclaren208 is on a distinguished road

I'd say Randy Johnson. Last year he was the best pitcher in the league and this year.... well... you get the picture.

Cubs fan. I know baseball baby!
Mclaren208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Todd Helton. My fantasy team was depending on him for homers!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

Randy Johnson is a great example too. ERA over 4, has been ruffed up bad by the Tigers and the D-Rays. yikes. BY Kim would have been a better option... at least they could have saved some money on bad pitching.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Mclaren208
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong
at least they could have saved some money on bad pitching.
LOL!!

Old 07-02-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Adrian Beltre has to be mentioned i think as well...
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Randy Johnson and Carl Pavano were to be the staples of the Yankees pitching staff. They have both been major disappointments.
New York is a tough place to play and these 2 guys aren't the only ones who have failed to deliver for the Yankees. Jeff Weaver signed a big FA contract and was a bust. He's doing much better this season with the Dodgers.
Success elsewhere is not a guarantee of success in New York.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
SPORTS FAN 72
Sports Enthusiast

SPORTS FAN 72 is on a distinguished road

Randy Johnson will do well when he gets comfortable pitching in New York. I wouldn't count him out just yet. Pavano is pitching some good games and some bad games. He'll get it going as well.
SPORTS FAN 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The Yankees traded for Jeff Weaver initially.

Pitching in NY has nothing to do with it for Randy Johnson. He is finally showing his age and has never learned to actually pitch the way Schilling and Clemens have done to extend their careers. Johnson has always been a guy who relied solely on his ability to put the ball up there at 98+ MPH knowing nobody was going to hit it and having the stamina to be able to do it for 7+ innings every time out. Now he is only able to get the ball up there around 92/93 on average and everyone in MLB can hit a 93 MPH fastball as has been shown on more than one occasion in Johnson's games. The only other pitch Johnson has ever showcased on a regular basis is a slider. He never learned to throw different breaking pitches or how to change speeds. He has always just gone out there and said here it is hit if you can. Until Johnson finds his dominating fastball on a consistent basis again he is going to continue to flounder.

As for Carl Pavano I have never been sold on the idea that he is ever going to be much more than a three or four guy at best. It is beginning to appear that he is a guy who cashed in on a career year last season. He has never, ever, shown that he can be the guy he was last year prior to last year so he was a bit of a calculated risk from the start.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #10
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

i agree. johnson needs to dominate people. now with his speed gone everyone has him figured out. Pavano was a risk. his value is more in what he can do, rather then his resume.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
Mclaren208
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong
i agree. johnson needs to dominate people. now with his speed gone everyone has him figured out.
He still has his slider. And he is dominating hitters. He just needs to cut down on his HR totals.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #12
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

Carlos Beltran is a starter in the All-Star game! what a joke! meanwhile Miguel Cabrera, Andruw Jones, and Carlos Lee are all backups. Beltran should not even be in the game. good thing he plays in NY, otherwise he could never be able to get enough dopes to vote him in. when you look at this numbers vs all the other OF's Beltran sticks out like a sore thumb. worst batting avg and fewest hrs out of everyone in.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Mclaren208
He still has his slider. And he is dominating hitters. He just needs to cut down on his HR totals.
Really? He is? I'd hardly call 7.93 K's per 9, and a .263 average against dominant. It is not like he still going out there throwing the ball by everyone and people are just getting a couple of lucky shots off him. Yeah, he still has his slider but the problem is he uses that as his offspeed pitch in the upper 80s. When his fastball is only four or five mph faster than his slider he is no longer fooling folks with that pitch.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:21 PM   #14
Mclaren208
Grizzled Veteran

He has a 1.13 WHIP or something like that. It's mainly the HR totals that are killing him.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Actually, it is 1.22 which ranks 28th in baseball not exactly amongst the elite.

But, there you go making a generalization that having a decent WHIP means you are a dominant pitcher. Let us look at some of the facts with his season thus far.

First, his WHIP is 1.22 which is up from last season's mark of 0.90. Generally speaking a sub 1.00 WHIP is considered dominant. 1.22, or even 1.13 for that matter, is considered good but not great.

Secondly, his K/9 are only 7.93 which is down significantly from 10.62 last year and even further below his career mark of 11.12.

His opposing average is .263 up from .197 and above his career mark of .215.

You are not honestly suggesting that the only difference between this year and last is that he is giving up more homers are you? The numbers as a whole really do not support that Johnson is the same dominant pitcher he has been over the life of his career.