Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 08-05-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road
Default Gary Sheffield is angry

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/05/sp...rtner=homepage

Sheff shout his mouth off last night after a ninth-inning comeback win, more or less incriminating Jeter and A-Rod as been lesser players than himself. Anyone see this affecting the Yanks' hopes of the Playoffs? Does anyone actually agree with Sheff, considering A-Rod has better all-around stats?

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

ARod has never been a real "leader". By that, I mean that he has never taken the active role in the clubhouse. He was with Jr. in Seattle, he was the "prince" in Texas (he got married and invited one teammate to the wedding). He has a lot of baggage and the reputation of playing poorly in the playoffs.
Jeter is a quiet guy who would never stir anything up. King George tries to get him angry every spring to get him going.
Its about time someone other than King George says something, but I'm not sure Sheff is the spokesman I'd have chosen. He has a reputation of being a whiner.
Sheff is definitely not the leader of the Yankees.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I agree that Sheffield is the key to that line up what I don't agree with is that they are the only two that are shown in a positve light Matsui is treated like a king and it takes alot for anyone to get on Bernie in Newyork
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, I think Sheff's contention is that A-Rod and Jeter are treated as though they are baseball Gods in New York and don't necessarily deserve to be. I mean just watch a Yankees game on FOX or ESPN. McCarver turns the broadcast into a Jeter lovefest pratically annointing him as the greatest player of his generation. The folks on ESPN claim that Jeter is the face of baseball yet he can't even garner enough fan support to get in the All Star Game.

As for A-Rod everyone calls him the best in the game. While his numbers may support that but he as a bit of a rep of not being able to come through in the clutch a-la Sammy Sosa. Is it co-incidence that the Mariners and Rangers both had significantly better seasons the year after he left?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Sounds like Reggie taking shots at Munson. The Yankees aren't a fragile bunch, you have to have thick skin to play in New York. I doubt this has any affect at all on the team.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Besides, I am sure his teammates have learned to ignore 95% of what comes out of his mouth by now anyway. :lol:
Old 08-05-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

You this probably didn't even make A rod or Jeter turn their heads.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:25 AM   #8
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

Sheff running his mouth also has no effect on wheter the Yanks make the playoffs. If they don't make it, it's every single one of their faults. They have the highest payroll and the "best" players. They should probably have well over 100 wins by season end but they won't, obviously.

Someone running there mouth has no effect on the playoff picture.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Sheffield is not running his mouth. in fact he is 100% correct.

-he is the most dangerous hitter in the Yankee lineup and will beat you in many ways. he is the team's leader. last year he drove them into the post season on his bum shouder and bum knee. the guy has a lot of guts.

-the NY media only has love for Jeter and A-Rod which is true.

-the Yankees should allow players to travel on the plane w/ their wives. why not?

-he addressed the teams lack of chemistry is is due in part to them never being able to just talk to each other about life because to all the reporters filling up their locker room.

if you actually listen to what he said you'll see that he said it to try and address issues he feels will help the team and make everyone happier and help create the chemistry the team is lacking. everyone wants to hate on Sheff but he is one of the brighter guys in baseball, you just have to understand he won't sugar coat his feelings.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

How does this sort of public pronouncement help chemistry? Things of this nature do more to create dischord and disunity than anything else.
Sheff has the reputation of being a whiner off the field. He is a great player, but not a great teammate. Its little wonder he's played for as many teams as he has. He is a welcome addition to any lineup, but wears his team's patience quickly.
I will not dispute anything he said, but to air this in public was not the best way to handle it. Things of this nature should be handled behind closed doors in the clubhouse.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #11
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

being the type of guy he is im sure Sheff has brought this up in the clubhouse. but when he is asked a question he gives an honest answer. i respect that. he was taking questions from reports and told it like it is. he didnt just grab a guy and tell him what to print in the paper. if Steinbrenner can release letters of concern while he is lifting weights Sheff can certainly air out his concerns too.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #12
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by catman
He is a great player, but not a great teammate.
Maybe to some. But i'd love to play with Sheff and i'd love to play with Bonds. It's not like you need these guys to pass you the ball-- it's baseball for goodness sake.

If his teammates are thick-skinned and winning-oriented (and i think most of them are) then this won't disrupt the chemistry too much. Otherwise it will. Depends on the personalities present.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #13
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

I personally am not hating on Sheff, simply pointing out he's angry. I disagree with some of his points, however. First off, A-Rod has far better statistics in every category. Whether or not he's a vocal leader, there's that old adage of "leadership by example."

Second, I don't see where A-Rod is beloved by the New York media. Just a few months ago, the NY media's big angle was "Is Alex a true Yankee?" Doesn't seem like love to me. It's a tough sports town, that's just how it goes.

Sheff hasn't been the periah Jason Giambi and Hideki Matsui both were at one point. When the Yanks were struggling in May, New York media absolutely trashed both these guys. Now in Giambi's case, a lot of it had to do with the steroid thing, so I understand. But Matsui started the year on a tear yet was a bum less than a month later. Yet neither said anything, they just went out and started producing again.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, from what I heard on the radio this morning Gary has gone in full spin control mode claiming that the reporter misquoted him and printed some of his statements out of context. Typical Sheffield response when the fit hits the shan.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

A-Rod has better numbers this year, but in the moments when the Yankees need a hit Sheff delivers. one of A-Rod's biggests knocks is that he doesn't pull through in the clutch.

the A-Rod being a "true Yankee" thing was started by Trot Nixon during spring training.

i think a lot Sheff's beef was comes from the lack of credit he gets. he is a future hall of famer closing in on 500 homeruns and there is no love for the guy anywhere.