Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Who is the best offensive player in the NBA?
Shaquille O'Neal 3 42.86%
Tim Duncan 0 0%
Allen Iverson 3 42.86%
Kevin Garnett 0 0%
Kobe Bryant 0 0%
Chris Webber 0 0%
Tracy McGrady 0 0%
Vince Carter 1 14.29%
Karl Malone 0 0%
Michael Jordan 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2001, 04:07 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Question Best Offensive Player in the NBA?

Here's the article via Sportsline. Read it and let me know what you think. Basically, it's down to:

1. Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers: O'Neal is the heart and soul of the Lakers, and the nightmare for every team playing the Lakers.

2. Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs: Were it not for O'Neal, the Spurs would be NBA champs and Duncan the annual MVP with all the refine skills every 7-footer has ever had.

3. Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 76ers: Iverson is the best "little man" since Isiah Thomas and has a heart bigger than players a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier.

4. Kevin Garnett, Minnesota Timberwolves: The most agile and multitalented 7-footer in the game, but the team around him often dwarfs how special he is.

5. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers: Playing with Shaq sometimes makes it hard to tell how brilliant both are, but Bryant has show the best all-around game.

6. Chris Webber, Sacramento Kings: He plays the total game from the power forward spot, scoring, rebound, passing and blocks.

7. Tracy McGrady, Orlando Magic: He was right there with Bryant last season, but is here only because he's only done it one season ... could be higher very soon.

8. Vince Carter, Toronto Raptors: McGrady's cousin doesn't quite have the total game, but is an incredible scorer and dominates the game because of it.

9. Karl Malone, Utah Jazz: Not only the best power forward of all time, but greatest overachiever, who at 38 is still a dominant presence in every game.

10. Michael Jordan, Washington Wizards: So he hasn't played in three years and will be 39 after the All-Star break ... leave him out of the top 10? Are you nuts?

Overall, Shaq is definitely the best offensive player because of how impossible it is to guard him and his enormous size. However, if I were to say who is the best based on skills and talent, I would have to say Iverson, Carter, or Bryant. What do you think?

Last edited by Marc; 10-15-2001 at 04:10 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 05:45 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Offensive Player in the NBA?

Sure, Shaq scored like 40 points per game in the playoffs last year, but he is by no means the best offensive player in the NBA. When I think "Best Offensive Player," I think of skilled guys like Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant, and Kevin Garnet -- not 300-pound monsters that stand in the key and dunk over everyone's heads while not getting called for obvious fouls.

I saw Allen Iverson play every game from the Semi-Finals to the Finals last year, and as much as I HATE HIS GUTS, he's undoubtedly the best offensive player in the NBA IMO. I mean, he does things with the ball that most people can never dream of. He and Vince Carter played about the same in the Eastern Semis last year -- Iverson a little better -- but after that, he was the heart and soul of either team on the court.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 04:32 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yes, for Iverson's size, he can hang with the best of them - big or small. He is an incredible talent. Anyone else care to add something?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 08:32 PM   #4
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road

I agree. I think Iverson is the best offensive player in the league. Shaq is a dominant inside player, but that's it. He doesn't shoot 3's and he rarely knocks down the jumper with any consistency. He's not a good "overall" offensive player. But he is, by far, the leagues best inside player.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 12:20 AM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Allen Iverson without a doubt, with Kobe Bryant a close second. Michael Jordan should have a good year. You really don't know what to expect from Jordan-except playing it with his all.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:41 PM   #6
srboisvert
Grizzled Veteran

srboisvert is on a distinguished road

Whether you like to think of the 'best' offensive player as well rounded or not is really irrelevent. It is like asking who has the prettiest Jumpshot.

Best offensive player is the guy who puts it in the basket most often and most effectively. Shaq wins that hands down. It may be ugly but it is also can't be stopped.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:39 PM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I selected Shaq as the best offensive player because of this. When the Lakers need a bucket to win a game who do they go to? And aren't they the best team in basketball right now?
I, for one, like the Timberwolves, but I admit that the Lakers are a great team that wins and Shaq is a big reason for that.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 08:42 AM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by catman
I selected Shaq as the best offensive player because of this. When the Lakers need a bucket to win a game who do they go to? And aren't they the best team in basketball right now?
I, for one, like the Timberwolves, but I admit that the Lakers are a great team that wins and Shaq is a big reason for that.
Yay!!... Besides the Raptors, the Timberwolves are my fav team, too!!.... Actually, besides ANY Canadian team in ANY sport, the Minnesota-based team in that sport is my favorite except the NHL's Minnesota Wild
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote