Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-11-2002, 07:37 AM   #1
Heatley15
Grizzled Veteran

Heatley15 is on a distinguished road
Default Steal Of This Year's Draft

Wow! DeShaun Foster is going to break a lot of team's hearts. I knew this guy slipped down too far in the draft. I wanted my Falcons to take him, but no they were said to be taking a WR. Then ended up taking T.J. Duckett. Duckett had a nice game, in his first NFL Preseason Game. Foster had a great game! If Carolina finds blockers for this guy, he is going to be unstopable. I think the Redskins have a good defense, but Foster didn't think much of it.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:36 AM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, Foster ran a 61 yard touchdown on his first ever carry for the Carolina Panthers, and did have a good game. But keep this in perspective when you say that Foster ran all over the Redskins defense....the first string defense who was so highly touted was not out there defending against Foster. And the only really notable player out there was Darrell Green in which Foster ran over on about the 15 yard line. Foster did look good I agree, and he may make some great plays this year in Carolina.

Joey
Old 08-11-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
ampesand
Grizzled Veteran

ampesand is on a distinguished road

Foster and Randle El
ampesand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 03:25 PM   #4
Greg
Sports Enthusiast

Greg is on a distinguished road

From what I have seen Foster was a steal. He is the only one I would say at the moment though.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 04:28 PM   #5
ampesand
Grizzled Veteran

ampesand is on a distinguished road

i just picked up foster for my fantasy football and now i have Holmes and Martin starting and Foster and Taylor on the bench. i'll probably get rid of either foster or taylor during the season, depending on who does better
ampesand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 06:29 PM   #6
Greg
Sports Enthusiast

Damn you ampesand, I was just going to get him. (I'm redsoxgp, or The Gregs).
Old 08-11-2002, 10:16 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

He could indeed be a steal this year. I like him and Shockey in New York. Shockey, out of Miami, has a tough attitude and is real tough. You have to like that in a rookie.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 11:40 PM   #8
Shock1011
All-Star Player

Shock1011 is on a distinguished road

Shockey, Randle El and Foster were great steels...J. Wells from OSU I think is one too.,
Shock1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 01:03 AM   #9
Heatley15
Grizzled Veteran

Oh I think they are a lot of guys from this year's draft that is going to leave their mark once the season is over. I'm just mad because Foster at the start of college football last year was projected as a top 5, type of guy. Then his value dropped, with all the sports utility vehicle's talk. My Falcons picked in the late teens of the draft, and could have got the best running back. It's only preseson I know. But when you have a feeling that a guy is going to be good, and then watch his stock drop. Then when he gets his first chance to prove he belongs. Look what happend!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 02:16 PM   #10
Greg
Sports Enthusiast

I dont think Shockey was much of a steal, he went pretty early, and it is rare that tight ends go really early.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:57 AM   #11
Shock1011
All-Star Player

Shock1011 is on a distinguished road

I'll tell you what, he kicked some major ass in the Houston game.
Shock1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 02:42 AM   #12
Heatley15
Grizzled Veteran

Right Shock he did do that. I think what Greg was meaning that Shockey went early in the draft, and is supposed to be good. It's kinda like Texas's QB (I can't quite think of his name right now), was the first overall selection and is a QB. If the Lions Joey Harrington turns out to be better than him, you could say the Lions got a steal, even though the guy was picked real high in the draft. Shockey was the first TE taking if my memory serves me correct, so he doesn't need to let any TE's below him do better. That's just my opinion. Randle El, yes he was a steal, but the funny thing with him is that everybody has predicted he would be a steal. Yet come draft day they let him slipped more than he should. Note to NFL GM's, take the best talent available. Guys like Randle El who does not have a true position is still an exciting guy with the football, let the head coach decide where he plays just get talent for the coach to work with.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:40 AM   #13
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Tight End Daniel Graham was drafted lower than Shockey in the first round by the Patriots, and Graham will more than likely equal the numbers or get close to the numbers that Shockey puts up. Graham is from the University of Colorado and watch out for him he is going to make just as much of an impact with the Patriots as Shockey will with the Giants!

And Heatley the Qb you mentioned, in which you didn't know his name, is David Carr!

Joey
Old 08-13-2002, 02:31 PM   #14
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Speaking of steals, Javon Walker has picked up the playbook faster than anyone expected in Green Bay. He has tremendous talent, but he was knocked for his game knowledge -- he has impressed people so far!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 04:35 PM   #15
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

NFL steals really should be those picked after the first round! That being said the Baltimore Ravens got one in Ron Johnson out of the University of Minnesota at Wide Receiver in the 4th round. Johnson will more than likely start this season for the Ravens!

Dallas Cowboys got 3 of them in my estimation....2nd round picks Andre Gurode Guard from Colorado will be a dominant offensive guard in a few years, and Antonio Bryant went much too late for his abilities at wide receiver. Finally Derek Ross Cornerback out of Ohio State is a very solid corner!

Finally Reche Caldwell out of the University of Florida went in the second round and he will start for the San Diego Chargers this season at wide receiver!

Joey