Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 11-05-2003, 12:43 AM   #1
Guerwitczgal
Sports Enthusiast

Guerwitczgal is on a distinguished road
Wink Why is Playmakers getting such a bad rap? For a woman, I think it's a great drama!

I want to know why so many people think Playmakers is such a bad show. It's not any worse than any other show on television. My husband and I can now sit in the same room and watch a show together. I like the drama and he likes it because it is related to football in some way. I think that is great. I also think Thad Guerwitcz is great, not to mention very hot. I think he is just a little confused about his sexual preference. My husband thinks I am nuts. I have really gotten into the show and I hope they keep it on for another season
Guerwitczgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 01:03 AM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

LOL! And I bet you're just the woman to set him straight.

I'm kind of reluctant to admit this (the show mostly got panned here), but I give the show a HUGE thumbs up and I make a point not to miss it.

This is in spite of the fact that all the flaws that critics weigh in about it are true (it's really heavy-handed, they are trying to cover too much ground in too short of time [ESPN's Bill Simmons hilariously suggested that, due to the run on topics that they haven't already covered, we will see DH getting high with aliens on a spaceship by next season]. The writing and acting, while decent, don't deserve any awards, etc...

The reason I like it is because it's a guilty pleasure. It is a soap opera for guys, and I would suggest its the first real soap opera for guys (and that's exactly what it is, a soap opera), so, in that dubious sense, it's groundbreaking.

Now, I understand why so many housewives are glued to the tube all day, although if I were forced to watch a conventional, mid-day soap opera, I would be as bored to tears as most of the people reading this message.

Oh, and it's refreshing to hear them say ***** and p*ssy without having to pay for a premium channel to hear it. Is there anything more groan-inducing to hear a tough gang member on network TV say, "G, I'm not takin' this CRAP anymore, dig? I am going to kick your FREAKIN' BUTT!"

And I suspect that, with the show's facination with the seamy underbelly of professional football, the NFL's hysterical reaction/disdain is, I suspect, a reflection that it hits too close to home, not that it's grossly and unfairly distorting.

I can't exactly defend the show on artistic terms, but I love it. There, I said it.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 01:22 AM   #3
Guerwitczgal
Sports Enthusiast

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONESTY! PLEASE UNDERSTAND, THAT I AM NOT A SOAP OPERA ADDICTED HOUSEWIFE. I LEAD A VERY BUSY LIFE AND DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR MUCH TELEVISION, BUT NOW I HAVE SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO AT LEAST ONE NIGHT A WEEK!!! I MAKE SURE THAT EVERYTHING I NEED TO DO IS DONE SO I CAN WATCH THIS SHOW. ESPN HAS BRANCHED OUT TO MEET MY NEEDS WITH SOMETHING OTHER THAN 4 QUARTERS OF FOOTBALL THAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO UNDERSTAND THE GAME AND MAYBE NOW I WILL HAVE AN INCENTIVE TO LEARN. MY HUSBAND IS THRILLED THAT I EVEN LIKE THE SHOW. AT FIRST, I WAS QUITE RELUCTANT TO EVEN WATCH IT. I TOLD HIM THAT I WAS NOT GOING TO SIT THROUGH AN EPISODE OF THIS GARBAGE AND NOW I CANNOT TEAR MYSELF AWAY. I WILL BE VERY SAD IF IT DOES NOT LAST ANOTHER SEASON.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I've watched the entire series. I havent watched it religiously, but I always seem to catch up with the many re runs ESPN shows throughout the week. Its been fairly entertaining, if a little far fetched. I'd more than likely watch a second series.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #5
Guerwitczgal
Sports Enthusiast

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONESTY! I REALLY HAVE ENJOYED THE SHOW, BUT WOMEN DO TEND TO LIKE DRAMA.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:02 AM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

If drama's what you want, you should have been tuned into the Monday Night Football game this week....

I haven't watched it. Don't plan to. I'm not home in the evenings, so I've been removed from fantasy tv for a while, now. When I am home on Mondays, I watch every Seinfeld rerun on the four or so channels they run on, maybe a Simpsons rerun, and then MNF. I used to appreciate drama shows, but, really... once X Files started slumping badly, I gave up on the whole darn thing. Seinfeld, Simpsons, and ESPN Classic (when live sports aren't on.)

Dave
Old 11-05-2003, 02:13 AM   #7
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

I used to watch it, but the show tends to focus on too much off field negativity and it inflates it to such a high degree. I want more in-game sidelines stuff...maye some GOOD off-field drama.

Every episode is 60 mintues off wife-beating, drug abusing, teammates beating the sh!t out of each other, etc. It's too negative and casts a steroetype over the NFL and it's players. It's no wonder the league and it's players dislike the show.

I understand that stuff goes on, as it does in every sport and EVERY WALK OF LIFE, but to make it the focus of the show every week and to make it SO over the top and inflated....it really has turned me off from the show.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:16 AM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Well, Purple, at least it's only 60 minutes of negativity, and not 200 minutes like that shoddy piece of work Oliver Stone did a few years back...

Dave
Old 11-05-2003, 02:28 AM   #9
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Ugh.....Any Given Piece of Crap?
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:47 AM   #10
Guerwitczgal
Sports Enthusiast

Thank you Dave and Purple!!! I know and realize that it is a little over-inflated, but I use to think paying people 4.something million dollars to run around a football field to get sacked and bruised for life is a little over-rated, but I am learning to enjoy the sport alot more. Cut me some slack and just watch the show so it will be on for another season.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:50 PM   #11
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

It's an awesome show. I have seen every single episode. And Snoop on it? GENIUES!!!!
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:10 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Welcome, Guerwitczgal! :wavey:

And a fellow Kentucky native, too!

Let me just say that I used to watch Playmakers when it started, but kind of gave it up along the way. I think it is held to a different standard because it is on an all-sports network (ESPN), not FOX or something. Additionally, it gets a bad rap because it depicts all football players and athletes as cheaters, druggies, lyers, etc. -- when many of them are good family men (okay, maybe a stretch).

Maybe I'll buy the whole series on DVD or something. It's hard to get back into something like this after you've missed episodes.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:55 PM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Additionally, it gets a bad rap because it depicts all football players and athletes as cheaters, druggies, lyers, etc. -- when many of them are good family men (okay, maybe a stretch).

That's what everyone keeps saying, but the thing is, it's not true...it shows ONE player with a drug problem, ONE player who cheated, ONE steroid user, etc., and of course, the show focuses on those players and those problems because it's a soap opera.

Given that the writers go through great pains, it seems, to paint most of the lead characters as basically decent but flawed people, the NFL can't really complain, because I have to think that there is more than one cheater, etc., on a real NFL team, unlike on this show.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:24 AM   #14
Guerwitczgal
Sports Enthusiast

Thanks to all of ya'll!!! Life is a soap opera. I am just glad that there is one out there for me. Does anyone know if ESPN is going to renew it for next year? Please let me know.

Marc, I am glad to know you are from Kentucky. How much closer to heaven could you get?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:41 AM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I have to say that it looked interesting at first, but I found the previews a bit too "predictible".
I work 2nd shift and have limited time to watch prime-time TV. I thought about taping the shows, but my priority is taping baseball games so I can watch them at my leisure, and the show started in the middle of the pennant race. If they were to replay the season, I'd consider taping the individual episodes and give it a look.
I also didn't like the way it was hyped "the critically acclaimed new series". This title was bestowed on it before the first episode aired.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote