Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #61
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
Well it won't be WVU in the title game. And does anybody think that Rutgers or Louisville could compete well against a Michigan or Ohio State. Sooner or later the fact that Pat White is not a great passer was going to catch up with WVU.
There go the Mountaineers...

In answer to your question, I think Louisville has a shot against Michigan and a slim chance against Ohio State. L'ville would be a decided underdog in both contests, of course. Rutgers, on the other hand, has no chance.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Rutgers ran the table, though, and had a claim to the nat'l title game? People's heads would explode.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #62
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Well...I live in Ohio and think the Pac Ten is the best conference in football...by far. No on can touch their SOS and willingness to travel out of conference (remember...the Pac Ten is the only BCS Conference that doesn't overlap another BCS Conference... geographically speaking).

By BCS Rankings...

USC over Florida
Cal over Auburn
Tennessee = Oregon
Washington State = Arkansas
Oregon State over LSU
Arizona State over Georgia
UCLA = Alabama
Washington = South Carolina
Kentucky over Arizona
Vanderbilt over Stanford

The SEC only gets the last two IMO. They do have 2 more squads too.
I'd take issue with this, because this is a joke, but, you're basing it a lot on some SOS that has the Pac 10 ahead of everyone else. Taking that obviously flawed number into account, I can see where you come up with this, so, I'll leave it alone and just say that you need to question the source of your SOS a bit more. At the very least, ask question of the author, because saying that the Pac 10 SOS is the toughest just simply is not so.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #63
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99 View Post
There go the Mountaineers...

In answer to your question, I think Louisville has a shot against Michigan and a slim chance against Ohio State. L'ville would be a decided underdog in both contests, of course. Rutgers, on the other hand, has no chance.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Rutgers ran the table, though, and had a claim to the nat'l title game? People's heads would explode.
I doubt Rutgers would get in. People were questioning whether or not WVU had enough to get in over a one-loss SEC team. No way Rutgers could do it. They started too low and are still too low...as far as the polls and computers go.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #64
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Well...I live in Ohio and think the Pac Ten is the best conference in football...by far. No on can touch their SOS and willingness to travel out of conference (remember...the Pac Ten is the only BCS Conference that doesn't overlap another BCS Conference... geographically speaking).

By BCS Rankings...

USC over Florida
Cal over Auburn
Tennessee = Oregon
Washington State = Arkansas
Oregon State over LSU
Arizona State over Georgia
UCLA = Alabama
Washington = South Carolina
Kentucky over Arizona
Vanderbilt over Stanford

The SEC only gets the last two IMO. They do have 2 more squads too.

Is this the same Cal team that got waxed by Tennesse earlier in the year? bc if you use the excuse that Cal has improved since then, so has Arkansas, who I think is better than Auburn right now.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #65
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

How I see it.
#1 USC over #1 Auburn 21-18
#2 Florida over #2 California 28-14
#3 Arkansas over #3 Oregon 26-21
#4 LSU over #4 Washington State 18-3
#5 Tennesse over #5 Oregon State 34-13
#6 South Carolina over #6 Arizona State 30-28
#7 Washington over #7 Georgia 31-30
#8 UCLA over #8 Alabama 21-14

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #66
eric
Grizzled Veteran

eric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I doubt Rutgers would get in. People were questioning whether or not WVU had enough to get in over a one-loss SEC team. No way Rutgers could do it. They started too low and are still too low...as far as the polls and computers go.

Yeah I agree Boise State has a better chance than Rutgers, and then there is Notre Dame screwing up the works, because they have a deal if they win 10 games they automatically go to a BCS game, which really sucks with their schedule.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #67
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Wait a sec, there is no way Boise gets in over Rutgers if they both run the table. At that stage Rutgers would have two wins over top 15 teams and tons more respect for those wins from the voters than Boise will ever have this year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #68
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
Is this the same Cal team that got waxed by Tennesse earlier in the year? bc if you use the excuse that Cal has improved since then, so has Arkansas, who I think is better than Auburn right now.
If I matched Cal up with Tennesee I'd give the Vols the nod Mike. This format was done before Saturday's games...but I'm just clarifying here.

I went in order of BCS rankings. Cal lost on the road to a strong non-conf foe in Tennesse. Auburn lost at home to a conference foe in Arkansas. When going head-to-head, I gave the edge to Cal. I believe both schools lost by 18 points...no?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #69
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Wait a sec, there is no way Boise gets in over Rutgers if they both run the table. At that stage Rutgers would have two wins over top 15 teams and tons more respect for those wins from the voters than Boise will ever have this year.
Yea, just for the record I never said Boise would get in over Rutgers.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #70
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

This would suck for the Gators but how funny would it be if:

1) Ohio State wins out
2) USC wins out
3) Florida wins out
4) Rutgers wins out

- undefeated Ohio State plays a one loss USC
- one loss Florida plays undefeated Rutgers in the Sugar Bowl
- USC beats Ohio State and is the BCS Champion.
- Rutgers beats Florida and finishes the season undefeated.

USC would be the supposed National Champ, but they would finish with a loss, while the Scarlet Knights would not be champs, but likey finish #2, and would have beaten the #3, #3, and wherever West Virginia will be ranked when they play them!
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #71
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Remember mush...the AP crowns their own champion away from the BCS so it is still possible in your situation for Rutgers to be AP champ while USC would be BCS Champ.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #72
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

So co-national champions....
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #73
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Yeah...I guess. In that situation I would give it to Rutgers though. Just my opinion.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #74
eric
Grizzled Veteran

eric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yea, just for the record I never said Boise would get in over Rutgers.
I said that (albeit sarcastically) I don't think either one rates a shot at the BCS champioship, although watching them play each otheRutgers & BSU) on New Years Day might be interesting it would Guarantee at least one indefeated team.
I love the ESPN discussion every week on who is the best one loss team, and I have yet to hear anybody say the obvious, the best one loss team will be the loser of Michigan/Ohio State.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #75
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
I love the ESPN discussion every week on who is the best one loss team, and I have yet to hear anybody say the obvious, the best one loss team will be the loser of Michigan/Ohio State.
Emphasis mine. I think you answered your own question.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote