Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #196
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

No way tark...

The election is over, but our differences remain
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #197
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
No way tark...

The election is over, but our differences remain
No...

These aren't differences since most convos are nothing more than defense of the parties. I've never bought into the hype & manipulation before & won't start now.

It was the Perfect Storm for the Democratic party in many ways & a case of them having the smarter campaign team to a great degree. Sure, the Republicans shot themselves in the foot a few times but there was so much more in play than 'he said, she said' rhetoric between the parties. You'll find that out as you learn about what politics is really about in the years to come.

I had to endure a little of the crap yesterday as my wife wanted to see results come in & I was stuck trying to explain the electoral College. Of course, her being from another country couldn't quite grasp why they were saying Obama had won when the election wasn't even over. After I explained that the Electoral votes are there cuz politicians feel that the American people aren't as 'wise', my sweet bride said "What??? That's b-ull****!"

Ahhhh, from the mouth of babes...

Now your job is harder. Now you need to act as tho you have absolutely no allegiance to Obama & refuse to accept excuses. You can't continue to argue Dem causes when there'll be nothing for them to point fingers about. They'll be in power with nowhere to hide.

Good luck...
__________________
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #198
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
It was the Perfect Storm for the Democratic party in many ways & a case of them having the smarter campaign team to a great degree. Sure, the Republicans shot themselves in the foot a few times but there was so much more in play than 'he said, she said' rhetoric between the parties. You'll find that out as you learn about what politics is really about in the years to come.
Yeah, there was something called "inspiration" in play.

Historic turnout for a reason.

Quote:
I had to endure a little of the crap yesterday as my wife wanted to see results come in & I was stuck trying to explain the electoral College. Of course, her being from another country couldn't quite grasp why they were saying Obama had won when the election wasn't even over. After I explained that the Electoral votes are there cuz politicians feel that the American people aren't as 'wise', my sweet bride said "What??? That's b-ull****!"
Well... that's not really what the electoral college is for...

Quote:
Now your job is harder. Now you need to act as tho you have absolutely no allegiance to Obama & refuse to accept excuses. You can't continue to argue Dem causes when there'll be nothing for them to point fingers about. They'll be in power with nowhere to hide.
Sure, no problem.

What will you say if eight years from now the economy is thriving, poverty is down significantly, we aren't at war, and every American has health care?
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #199
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Hey CK, what is the electoral college for? Just curious.

Afterall, I technically have a degree in secondary education. You have one in history.

It's all yours teach.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #200
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

BTW...

I got an email bill from Obama today.

I got taxed on my McCain avatar joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



:lol:

Humor is no longer free my friends.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #201
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Hey CK, what is the electoral college for? Just curious.

Afterall, I technically have a degree in secondary education. You have one in history.

It's all yours teach.

The electoral college is in place for more than one reason.

One of the reasons tark hit upon, but that's not the main reason.

The electoral college is in place to ensure that states with smaller population still "matter" in the election.

Without the electoral college, presidents would only campaign (and in turn represent) large states with large populations.

The electoral college ensures that every state is "important."
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #202
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 95
The Irish is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
I normally wouldn't even respond to such a ridiculous post, but I can't let blatant racism and falacies such as this go unchallenged...

Well over 60 percent of welfare recipients are White.

As for the "black people no longer have an excuse..." :lol:

Riiight, because electing a black president solves ALL the problems in the black community over-night.
So the only problem you found in regards to my post was that I didn't acknowledge that white people recieve welfare? Yeah it's that 40 percent that's cheating the welfare system and buying new Cadillacs instead of actually looking for a job. I'm sure whites abuse the system too, but I haven't seen a white man drive a new 2008 caddy back to his house in the projects.

So you don't see a problem with our fighting men and women in Afghanistan and Iraq recieving a pay cut? I mean the soldiers, sailors, marines, and all the other wounded military personnel are getting ****ed over by the government what's a pay cut on top of that?
__________________
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark
The Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #203
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irish View Post
So the only problem you found in regards to my post was that I didn't acknowledge that white people recieve welfare? Yeah it's that 40 percent that's cheating the welfare system and buying new Cadillacs instead of actually looking for a job. I'm sure whites abuse the system too, but I haven't seen a white man drive a new 2008 caddy back to his house in the projects.
The "welfare queen" is a myth, and a racist myth.

People of every race abuse the system. I've been in trailer park homes owned by white people on welfare who have a huge plasma screen TV.

Drop the racism out of your argument and you will be much more effective in your arguments for welfare reform.

Quote:
So you don't see a problem with our fighting men and women in Afghanistan and Iraq recieving a pay cut? I mean the soldiers, sailors, marines, and all the other wounded military personnel are getting ****ed over by the government what's a pay cut on top of that?
No one is going to cut their pay. We can cut military spending though. For instance, the Navy recently purchased a hammer for $600. Not a mechanical hammer, nothing special, just a very nice hammer.

Those type of things can be cut, along with millions of other wasteful spending programs in the military.

How about the veterans? Is okay if we stop spending $600 on hammers? Maybe we can provide better hospitals for our vets, and get our vets off the streets.

You did know that Obama wants to spend more on veterans right?
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #204
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default

Never mind...
__________________

Last edited by Tarkus; 11-05-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #205
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
The electoral college is in place for more than one reason.

One of the reasons tark hit upon, but that's not the main reason.

The electoral college is in place to ensure that states with smaller population still "matter" in the election.

Without the electoral college, presidents would only campaign (and in turn represent) large states with large populations.

The electoral college ensures that every state is "important."
Actually, the electoral college was set up to disenfranchise women as well as appease the South so that slavery could continue for another century.

The fear was that if they didn't come up with a proportional system some states with large numbers of women and blacks ("free" or enslaved but basically "free") would be tempted to give b*tches and ni**ers the right to vote.



Hell, that would be an outrage.

But I'm sure your book answer would be marked correct on any answer sheet across America.

:thumbup:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 AM   #206
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008
 
Richard the Lionheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,869
Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post


ISSUE 1: to provide for earlier filing deadlines for statewide ballot issues

NO...Favored those bastards in Columbus and made proposing issues an even more expensive/elitist effort. Power to the elites, not people here.

ISSUE 2: to authorize the state to issue bonds to continue the clean Ohio program for environmental revitalization and conservation

YES...Apathetic here. The only real argument against it is we can't afford it but hell, we can't afford anything so...

Issue 3: to amend the constitution to protect private property rights in ground water, lakes and other water courses

NO...Don't like the wording. Feeding ground for lawyers to swoop in and find the loopholes to feed the fat cats.

Issue 5: referendum on legislation making changes to check cashing lending, sometimes known as “payday lending,” fees, interest rates and practices

YES...Blood-sucking whores in cahoots with the government use these joints to suppress the poor. Only reason I would even think of voting NO would be that government data base stipulation which I ultimately don't know would even come about.

Issue 6: to amend the constitution by initiative petition for a casino near wilmington in southwest ohio and distribute to all ohio counties a tax on the casino

NO...and the only real reason why is because it creates a monopoly on the gaming. If it didn't, I would vote YES on it.

How'd you go on this stuff?
Issue 1:To be honest, I didn't have much idea what was going on with this one. Sounded okay to me, so I exercised my right as an uninformed citizen and voted for it.

Issue 2: I like your reasoning here, very true. But you have to draw the line somewhere, right? I haven't been outside much lately anyway.

Issue 3: Again, the wording doesn't make it very clear what's going on here. I heard private property rights and my ears shot up and voted yes.

Issue 5: Couldn't agree more with you on this one. The only reason places like this even exist is because Ohio got rid of its usury laws in '95. These people sit on their asses, let their capital work for them and prey on the weakest members of society...and then they have the nerve to say this issue is about keeping alive financial options for poor families, like they're doing them a service. This is the only issue I cared about at all, really.

Issue 6: No, one of my reasons was the same as yours. The only role the government should have in gambling is allowing it or banning it. I didn't like that 600 million taxdollars would go into the start-up costs for some millionaire's privately owned casino. I'm for the legalization of gambling, but the state has no part in giving someone a sweetheart monopoly. Pass.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #207
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Actually, the electoral college was set up to disenfranchise women as well as appease the South so that slavery could continue for another century.

The fear was that if they didn't come up with a proportional system some states with large numbers of women and blacks ("free" or enslaved but basically "free") would be tempted to give b*tches and ni**ers the right to vote.



Hell, that would be an outrage.

But I'm sure your book answer would be marked correct on any answer sheet across America.

:thumbup:
Whatever you say Howard Zinn :thumbup:
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #208
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Whatever you say Howard Zinn :thumbup:
And here I thought I was throwing you a bone by pointing out legit racism since you love the race card so much.

CK...I can't win with ya.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #209
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
Issue 1:To be honest, I didn't have much idea what was going on with this one. Sounded okay to me, so I exercised my right as an uninformed citizen and voted for it.

Issue 2: I like your reasoning here, very true. But you have to draw the line somewhere, right? I haven't been outside much lately anyway.

Issue 3: Again, the wording doesn't make it very clear what's going on here. I heard private property rights and my ears shot up and voted yes.

Issue 5: Couldn't agree more with you on this one. The only reason places like this even exist is because Ohio got rid of its usury laws in '95. These people sit on their asses, let their capital work for them and prey on the weakest members of society...and then they have the nerve to say this issue is about keeping alive financial options for poor families, like they're doing them a service. This is the only issue I cared about at all, really.

Issue 6: No, one of my reasons was the same as yours. The only role the government should have in gambling is allowing it or banning it. I didn't like that 600 million taxdollars would go into the start-up costs for some millionaire's privately owned casino. I'm for the legalization of gambling, but the state has no part in giving someone a sweetheart monopoly. Pass.
Most of these issues are lose-lose. We're so damned if we do, damned if don't with them it's unreal.

I don't mind higher taxes or paying more like on something of Issue 2's ilk but they end up stealing the $ someway so what the hell is the difference?

Oh well, I'll keep longin' for that day when it's a government of the people, by the people and for the people.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #210
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post

Oh well, I'll keep longin' for that day when it's a government of the people, by the people and for the people.
"You're not living in reality"
__________________
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MLB Thought of the day -- May catman Major League Baseball 214 06-01-2008 03:59 PM
MLB thought of the Day - March & April boston_aloha Major League Baseball 267 05-01-2008 01:31 PM
MLB Thought of the Day -- September catman Major League Baseball 95 10-01-2007 10:30 AM
We Never Thought This Day Would Come... Ellis The Lounge 2 02-11-2004 09:43 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.