Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-06-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default Roethlisberger should throw more: Y/N?

Ok, I was reading Jason Whitlock's 10 truths today and #7 was:
Quote:
Bill Cowher needs to turn Ben Roethlisberger loose in the playoffs.

Big Ben is beginning to look like a fraud playing in Cowher's ultra-conservative offense. In a must-win regular-season finale against the Detroit Lions, Ben completed 7 of 16 passes for 135 yards with two interceptions.

The Steelers are not going to make it to the Super Bowl with those numbers and totally relying on their running game and defense. Pittsburgh's defense just isn't that good. The Steelers can be gashed through the air and on the ground.

If the weather is halfway decent in Cincy this weekend, Roethlisberger should throw the ball at least 25 times.
This I don't get... Roethlisberger is nothing more than a game manager & Cowher is the puppetmaster pulling the strings. Why would you want Roethlisberger throwing at least 25 attempts? Lets take the number 26. Roethlisberger is 9-3 in the 12 games he has played all season. I'd say thats pretty darn good huh? In case you didn't pick my sarcasm, 9-3 is very good! Cowher knows what he's doing with Roethlisberger. In his 9 wins, only ONE of those games did he have over 26 attempts (30 att. against Balt). That means (for those of us who can't add) he had EIGHT wins with 26 or fewer attempts. Why in the world would you want this kid throwing the ball unless he absolutely had to? Lets break down his 3 losses. In EVERY loss he had 26 attempts or more. This seems like a no-brainer to me. People say, let Ben come out of his diapers, well ya know what? Cowher has done that a few times and Big Ben sharted all over himself. I say let Cowher work his winning formula that consists of pounding the ball on the ground, and playing physical defense. He knows exactly what Roethlisberger can do, or can't do in this case.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I don't like to agree with Whitlock. He's got an odious public personality and his column on espn.com p2 is representative of that.
HOWEVER, this is something I agree with.

I don't know if the wild card game while Ben's thumb is bum is the right time to loosen the strings, but Roethlisberger is, in my estimation, one of those guys that gets the label "gamer." He'll do what it takes to win, his teammates, if not love him, respect him, and he respect his teammates. If they have to 50 times to win, they should. If they don't have to, they don't have to.
Cincy has a very vulnerable secondary, though maybe not against the Steelers moderately unspeedy receiving corps. (Randle El excluded, the Steelers wideouts are probably faster than only the Eagles and Cowboys receivers.) If Ben is feeling well and on his game, throwing 25+ times should get you at least two TDs, if not 3.
I don't think they'll take the wraps off of him against Cincy, though. They'll go in, run the ball down the Bengals' throats and win going away.

(I hope I'm not cursing them by spouting this theory all over the place. )
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Well, just a month ago Roethlisberger threw 41 balls against Cincy and had three touchdowns and 386 yards...plus three interceptions and a 38-31 loss. Compare that to their October meeting, when Ben went 9-of-14 for 93 yards, two touchdowns, and a 27-13 Pittsburgh win.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

As is always the case, octane, take away any number of those INTs, and I believe the Steelers win that game a few weeks ago.
I'm willing to go with the idea that the thumb is better now than it was in that game, and that, this being a playoff game, he'll be less prone to making totally crappy decisions, as I recall at least one (and maybe two) of those INTs being.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
less prone to making totally crappy decisions
This is why I agree with aloha. I think Ben is a damn fine QB, but he does make crappy decisions (as do most 2nd year QBs). It's a good plan to eliminate that, but I don't think the postseason is the time to test it out, especially when he's been excellent as a 15-ball passer.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

why would you want Ben to throw a ball MORE against the D who led the NFL in INT's, but is horriable against the run when you have one of the best rushing teams in the NFL? there's the logic in that Whitlock? just look at the numbers...
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

If you can get away with throwing on those DBs (who are good, but not as good as the numbers indicate) you should throw on them, if for no other reason than to cause the Colts the following week to have to bone up for it.

As I said, I'd let him throw the ball out of the park if it was clear that was a strategy to win the game. If the running game is getting five yards per carry, though, there's obviously no reason to throw. Still, I want a three-score lead heading into the final ten minutes before I go Bus, Parker, Bus, Bus, Parker, punt on them. Which means I'm throwing the ball into the fourth quarter, IF Ben is healthy and mistake-free and not up by 17 or more.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Bur doesn't Big Ben have more than a little something to prove in the postseason after throwing one net touchdown (3 TD passes minus the two INTs that were returned for scores) and five interceptions in two playoff games last year, both at home?

If Marvin Lewis is smart, he sees this too - and will throw a lot of eight-man fronts at the Steelers on Sunday.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:33 AM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I dont think he has anything to prove. He's shown what he can and cannot do. I think Cowher knows his limitations and he knows exactly how to use Ben in that offense. If Ben has less than 20 attemps and they can pound the ball on the ground - Steelers should come out w/ a win.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:01 AM   #10
Anthony

I never went so far as to refer to him as "Ben Chokelisberger," but some people did, after the New England game.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

Ben didnt look any worse as a rookie is that New England game then Peyton did as a vet in multiable games against them. Nothing wrong in admitting you got outplayed.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Big Ben's line: 14-19 208 3

Strangely enough, they didn't run very well, either.
Kind of a strange game. Too bad that what happened to Carson happened, but I think it helped the Steelers down the stretch.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

34 rushes for 144 yards and 4.2 yards a carry is pretty solid. no one running back had a huge day, but combined it was solid Steelers rushing.

losing Carson really made a huge impact. instead of passes going to studs like Johnson and Houshmandzadeh Kitna was targeting backup Kevin Walter.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:57 PM   #14
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

No, Ben shouldn't throw more, and the kind of game he had today is reason why. Those are some stellar numbers. I am really impressed, even though those are pretty normal for him.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
Anthony

Maybe Roethlisberger is a new man with the full beard - perhaps it's doing for him what it obviously didn't do for Joey Harrington!