Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Free Agency Thread

Well Free Agency starts March 1 and Scouts, Inc. has published a list of potential cuts that may come down this week. Some of the most notable names:

Peter Boulware
Chris McAlister
Eric Moulds
Trevor Pryce
Jimmy Smith
Priest Holmes
Chad Pennington
Kerry Collins
Warren Sapp
Jeff Hartings
Duce Staley
Travis Henry
Steve McNair
Larry Allen
La'Roi Glover
Joey Harrington
Charles Rogers
Na'ill Diggs
Brett Favre
Daunte Culpepper
Aaron Brooks
Amani Toomer
Terrell Owens
Marshall Faulk
Derrick Brooks
Brian Griese
Simeon Rice
Lavar Arrington
Patrick Ramsey

Now, I know not all of these guys will get cut loose but it is still fun to speculate who will be available come this Wednesday.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Well Free Agency starts March 1 and Scouts, Inc. has published a list of potential cuts that may come down this week. Some of the most notable names:

Peter Boulware
Chris McAlister
Eric Moulds
Trevor Pryce
Jimmy Smith
Priest Holmes
Chad Pennington
Kerry Collins
Warren Sapp
Jeff Hartings
Duce Staley
Travis Henry
Steve McNair
Larry Allen
La'Roi Glover
Joey Harrington
Charles Rogers
Na'ill Diggs
Brett Favre
Daunte Culpepper
Aaron Brooks
Amani Toomer
Terrell Owens
Marshall Faulk
Derrick Brooks
Brian Griese
Simeon Rice
Lavar Arrington
Patrick Ramsey

Now, I know not all of these guys will get cut loose but it is still fun to speculate who will be available come this Wednesday.

Only one name from the above (I've marked him in red) has been cut, but some other notables as of 1.30ET Thursday are the Broncos Mike Anderson and Dolphins Sam Madison.

We've got some time yet to go, but I imagine we're looking at doomsday. Everyone is cuttable this year.
To say nothing of next year, when teams will cut people just to save the bottom line.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, the league pushed Free Agency back a few days so I expect some more of these names to join the ranks of the temporarily unemployed.

I believe the Titans just made some moves to keep McNair in the fold for another year so his name probably comes off the list.

Moulds has a reasonable chance of being cut loose as he is refusing to redo his deal.

It is being widely rumored that Priest is going to retire and if that is the case the Chiefs will probably release him if it means they save some money against the cap.

The Panthers cut Stephen Davis loose but it is widely assumed that he is just going to retire.

Brenston Buckner got released as well, but the rumor mill in Charlotte had him leaning towards retirement as well.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I hope this sin't the case, but Warrick Dunn may be gone from Atl. He is a 8 mill cap hit this season.

Something I never thought I would say. Michael Vick impressed me today, working his contract around to take some of the hit away from his cap #s. Still wish he would take a pay cut. No way is he worth half of what he is being payed right now.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Probably because he realizes he is in for a long season next year if they have to cut Dunn loose.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:52 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Believe it or not I like the Falcons in '06. The Buccaneers are toast because of the strength-of-schedule theory, and remember that like the Falcons, the Panthers have never had back-to-back winning seasons either - and Carolina almost certainly won't if a new CBA doesn't get signed and the salary cap doesn't get raised for this season.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I like to think the Bucs are toast next year for the same reason they failed to achieve more this past year: the bad offensive line theory.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
I like to think the Bucs are toast next year for the same reason they failed to achieve more this past year: the bad offensive line theory.
I don't know Dave - the O-Line wasn't great last year and look at how they exceeded expectations. With that said, Allen & Gruden definitely need to address this annual problem with their draft picks coming up...
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Hey Anthony did you hear that the Eagles are courting Garcia. You think he will be a good fit there if Mcnabb goes down again.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

So today LaVar Arrington bought out his own contract, kinda funny.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

On hold. On hold. Every durn thing is on hold.

I hope that there are no more extensions to this contract hubaloo. I'm ready to address free agency for real.

If the Eagles pick up Garcia to be McNabb's backup, the Eagles will be the first team to have their top two QBs exposed as being mediocre(McNabb) to bad(Garcia isn't bad, actually, he's awful!) QBs by the same wide receiver.

It usually takes a defensive player to prove these types of things. Alas...

More on the Eagles: Anthony, why does Lurie get mentioned in the same breath as Jerry Jones, Danny Snyder and the Houston owner as high revenue owners who don't want to give up their slice of the pie to the lower revenue clubs when it takes a certain amount of arm twisting and flagellating to get Lurie to spend above the salary floor? I don't get it. He had help from teh state in building the Linc, right? So, what's his problem?

Suedon: I suppose the Bucs overachieved, but by how much, really? Their offense was in the lower half of the NFC. They won with defense (and one mildly gutsy call late in a game). Teams who do it that way tend to overachieve at least a little bit.

We all saw the Redskins team that went out to Seattle. Beating them in the wild card game shouldn't be overachieving for many teams at all... (definitely for some, but should it have been for Tampa? I don't think so.)

And, if you want to suggest they overacheived by making the playoffs or winning eleven games, just look around the NFC. It's not hard to overachieve when you're measuring yourself against football's worst conference in at least a decade, maybe longer. Which isn't to say that their strength of schedule got them 11 wins (Anthony!), but teams who can't win 11 games against such putrid competition are bad themselves, poorly coached, and poorly run.
We're talking about a team whose incontrovertibly best team got to the Super Bowl and was nothing better than an eleven-point loser to a team who played like absolute horsecrap for three out of four quarters of the game.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave

Suedon: I suppose the Bucs overachieved, but by how much, really? Their offense was in the lower half of the NFC. They won with defense (and one mildly gutsy call late in a game). Teams who do it that way tend to overachieve at least a little bit.

We all saw the Redskins team that went out to Seattle. Beating them in the wild card game shouldn't be overachieving for many teams at all... (definitely for some, but should it have been for Tampa? I don't think so.)

And, if you want to suggest they overacheived by making the playoffs or winning eleven games, just look around the NFC. It's not hard to overachieve when you're measuring yourself against football's worst conference in at least a decade, maybe longer. Which isn't to say that their strength of schedule got them 11 wins (Anthony!), but teams who can't win 11 games against such putrid competition are bad themselves, poorly coached, and poorly run.
We're talking about a team whose incontrovertibly best team got to the Super Bowl and was nothing better than an eleven-point loser to a team who played like absolute horsecrap for three out of four quarters of the game.
Whew! Take a breath Dave!

All preseason prognosticators picked the Bucs to be in last or next to last place in their division. Yes, they got good picks in the draft but there was no way of knowing how well Caddy was going to do in his first season. The two previous years since their fabulous and DOMINATING SB win have been, frankly, crappy, crappy, crappy, although no one was calling for Gruden's head at that point (which is amazing, but the SB win does afford you some lattitude, I guess).

Also, who really honestly knew before the season began that the NFC as a whole was going to be so absolutely horrific this year? (my guess is nobody). On top of that, you have a sucky O-line, Brian Greise at QB who gets hurt after a strong start to the season and replaced by a guy with, like, no regular season experience and happy feet (made me nervous watching him in preseason!), etc. and you see where I am coming from when I say the Bucs actually IMO overachieved by winning the division and making the playoffs. They really should have beat the Skins tho (Simms' and others' lack of playoff experience showed).
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

The NFC has been pretty bad the last few seasons now.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #14
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The AFC only beat the NFC 34-30 in the interconference season series in 2005.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
The AFC only beat the NFC 34-30 in the interconference season series in 2005.
Regardless, let me repeat what NYJay said: The NFC has been pretty bad the last few seasons now.