Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Chad Johnson legally changes name...

...to Chad Ocho Cinco...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3560377

words. loss. at.

awesome...?

Quote:
CINCINNATI -- Maybe receiver Chad Johnson can go by the name that his head coach hates.

Chad Johnson

Johnson

The Cincinnati Bengals receiver has legally changed his name to Chad Javon Ocho Cinco in Broward County, Fla., a switch that became official this week. Johnson, who lives in Miami, didn't return a message left on his cell phone Friday night.

"It's something I don't think anyone has ever done before," he told the team's Web site. "Have I ever had a reason for why I do what I do? I'm having fun."
Reason? No, probably...definitely not.

Marvin Lewis will likely blame their forthcoming 7-9 season on this, rather than his coaching performance.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

He must have run out of ways to get attention & didn't want to miss out.

Once an attention getting goof, always an attention getting goof.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure his parents are proud.

Asshole.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Ok, so if anyone out there had any doubt that this guy was not a complete douche.... now you know!

I hope they trade him to some team that already has a #85 WR... now that would be a laugh
Old 08-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I laughed when I saw this on the ESPN ticker. What an attention whore.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:14 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

But since the "Ocho Cinco" was reckoned as two words, wouldn't the NFL be within its rights to compel him to have only the "Cinco" placed on the back of his jersey?

Roger Goodell, are you listening?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I don't get the annimosity towards Chad...

Seriously, the guy is just having some fun, and making a whole lot of money. They are going to sell a lot of "Ocho Cinco," jerseys.

He's not hurting anyone, he's within his rights, and it's funny.

Some of you need to just relax - "live and let live."

Where's the harm in this?

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

There is no harm in it per se, I think folks are just tired of him essentially begging for attention. It just smacks of him doing something crazy just so he gets on SportsCenter again because nobody is talking about him any more. He is starting to come off like the little 8 year old kid who yells at his parents to watch him dive into the pool off the diving board every time he does it.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

It's not attention, it's marketing. I happen to know for a fact that Chad is going through financial problems (believe it or not) and that was the main reason he made a fuss this offseason - he wanted a new contract (which he deserves).

THe guy is just being a savvy business man, and marketing himself. The jerseys will sell, and he'll probably get another endorsement out of the deal.

Why hate on a man for making a buck? If he's an "attention whore," then stop paying attention to him.

"If they hate then let them hate and watch the money pile up."

Think Fresh.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
themush
Banned

He's just doing to spite the NFL and Goodell. That's why I have a problem with it. THe more it becomes about him the less it is for the team. I wish someone on that team would ***** slap him.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
He's just doing to spite the NFL and Goodell. That's why I have a problem with it. THe more it becomes about him the less it is for the team. I wish someone on that team would ***** slap him.
Good. Screw Goodell and his hypocritical ways. Screw Goodell who holds different players adn teams to different stadards.

Chad Johnson is misunderstood. He is a team player. He practices more than anyone on the team. He works with rookies. He spends time with Palmer outside of practice watching video at Palmer's house.

Chad Johnson likes to entertain. If you don't like him, don't watch. But stop complaining about a guy who is fun to watch and not harming a soul.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
themush
Banned

Wonder how you'd feel about this if he wasn't YOUR franchise's WR???
Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Wonder how you'd feel about this if he wasn't YOUR franchise's WR???
I probably wouldn't know about all the stuff he does in the community, and I'd be ignorant about his work ethic and "team first" attitude - so I'd probably feel the same as you do - unless someone educated me on how he actually is a good man.

What damage has Chad Johnson ever caused?

Think Fresh.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

You're really riding the fence on this one, CK

At one time you couldn't defend this guy enough. Then you had had enough & wished he'd shut up & now you're back defending the guy.

From my end, it's not just about his bizarre behavior. Sure, some of it's been entertaining & comical while there's been quite a bit that was weird & off-the-wall.

While this has gone on, my other dissatisfaction is in the media who clamors like little girls at a Beatles sighting to get the replacement TO type drama that has nothing to do with anything but a selfish, look at me off the field approach that's done nothing but damage the Bengals as a team.

I'm just tired of both sides...

Quote:
Chad Johnson is misunderstood. He is a team player.
:lol:
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
You're really riding the fence on this one, CK

At one time you couldn't defend this guy enough. Then you had had enough & wished he'd shut up & now you're back defending the guy.

From my end, it's not just about his bizarre behavior. Sure, some of it's been entertaining & comical while there's been quite a bit that was weird & off-the-wall.

While this has gone on, my other dissatisfaction is in the media who clamors like little girls at a Beatles sighting to get the replacement TO type drama that has nothing to do with anything but a selfish, look at me off the field approach that's done nothing but damage the Bengals as a team.

I'm just tired of both sides...

:lol:
I didn't like it when Johnson was demanding a trade, I think that should be handled behind closed doors. But Rosenhaus is his agent, and Chad trusts Rosenhaus... Unfortunately, that's what you can expect from his clients.

I don't see any possible way that this could damage the Bengals as a team. It has no effect, negative or positive. It is nothing more than marketing himself, in order to make money.

I can see how he might be "annoying," but I just don't understand the resentment, almost hatred, towards Johnson.

I find Kellen Winslow to be very annoying. But I have nothing against the guy. If he's on TV, I turn it off. But I have no reason to rail against the guy and act like I have any idea about his work ethic.

Laugh all you want about the "team player" comment, but I'd venture to guess his teamates (some of whom I've met in person) know more about him than you do.

How many NFL players do you know that sleep at the stadium the night before home games?

I guess you're not a "team player" when you spend the off-season with some of your teamates, working on routes and plays.

Think Fresh.