Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 11-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Knicks to sign Lebron...

Ok, maybe not. But, they dealt Jamal Crawford to the Warriors and Zach Randolph to the Clippers. PTI leading off with this story and essentially, they're dumping cap space for the free agency in a couple of summers that includes LeBron and has some other stars. Plus, they'll be awful for a couple of years and should get some good lottery picks.

Are the Knicks all of a sudden actually making good moves?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3717209
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Good moves? Only if it actually pays off in 2 years and they can sign James or one of the other high-profile FAs that offseason. But Donnie Walsh is no slouch as a GM. I think he's liking the challenge of trying to turn around the Knicks. He did some good things in Indy (think an aging Dale Davis for an up-and-coming Jermaine O'Neal...forget about JO now...lol). There was some collision between Walsh and Larry Bird in trying to run the Pacers and it hurt the team. We'll see how Larry does by himself...

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

This, is of course, assuming LeBron really wants to play for the Knicks. As it stands right now the Knicks have nobody signed to long term deals after the 2009-10 season. Walsh needs to acquire some legitimate veteran talent if he thinks he is going to have any shot at signing LeBron otherwise where is the incentive to leave Cleveland if he is coming to a team that is full of a bunch of lottery picks and young players?

There a lot of other teams that are positioning themselve to have plenty of cap space to be able to acquire a big name player to compliment that talent they already have.

Depending how they manage things the Blazers could have cap space in addition to Greg Oden and Brandon Roy.

Detroit will have Hamilton, Prince and Stuckey.

The Bulls will have a core that includes Derrick Rose, Kirk Hinrich, Luol Deng, and Andres Nocioni.

The Kings should have cap space and a roster that includes Kevin Martin, John Salmons, Spencer Hawes, and Jason Thompson.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

LeBron has long been reported to be seeking a move to the NYC area, either with the Nets or the Knicks. I just hope that in these next two years, the Cavs brass can bring home an NBA championship, make some great trades/free agent moves, talk Lebron into resigning, or some combination thereof.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Unfortunately the Cavs are in a spot where they don't have a whole lot to work with in terms of players to deal that anyone has an immediate interest in and they won't have any real cap space to work with next summer unless they can unload guys like Ben Wallace and Ilgauskus in exchange for expiring contracts.

On top of all that they have done a piss poor job in drafting any kind of decent talent to surround LeBron. Since drafting him Daniel Gibson is the only guy they have added via the draft that has actually played more than 100 games for the Cavs.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Doug, you beat me to the punch on this. I think it's clear LeBron wants to be a Knick. He's wearing special NYC edition Nikes tonight vs. the Knicks, and wore a Yankee-tribute pinstripe version last time in the Garden. LeBron wants to be more than a sports star, but a media superstar, and he's obviously in love with the biggest stage, NYC. Kinda sucks for Cleveland, but they're used to it, hate to say...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone find it disrepsectfull (for lack of a better word) that LeBron is pretty open about wanting to go to NY?

I understand the guy can do what he wants, and he chooses where he wants to play. But.... I don't know... if I was a Cleveland fan I'd be like "WTF???" Usually when someone goes public about wanting to play for another city they are run out of that town? I know its hard to turn your back on the best player in the NBA and its not like he's a bad guy or being a punk about it in any way. And I guess he really hasn't gone "public" - but come on, we all know whats up.

You'd think Cleveland fans would be a little annoyed about his loyalty? Again - not saying he owes them anything - but this just seems a little out of character for LeBron.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, does anyone believe LeBron when he says it is as much about winning championships as it is about how much money you and where you play?

Honestly, I don't see him being terribly interested in NY if the overall talent level does not significantly improve over the next year and a half when there is going to be other high profile teams that are going to have a good base core of talent where LeBron could be the final piece to putting them over the top.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Does anyone find it disrepsectfull (for lack of a better word) that LeBron is pretty open about wanting to go to NY?

I understand the guy can do what he wants, and he chooses where he wants to play. But.... I don't know... if I was a Cleveland fan I'd be like "WTF???" Usually when someone goes public about wanting to play for another city they are run out of that town? I know its hard to turn your back on the best player in the NBA and its not like he's a bad guy or being a punk about it in any way. And I guess he really hasn't gone "public" - but come on, we all know whats up.

You'd think Cleveland fans would be a little annoyed about his loyalty? Again - not saying he owes them anything - but this just seems a little out of character for LeBron.

Your thoughts?
I'm probably just being ridiculously in denial here, but I don't think he has said anything TOO out of line. He has said that more than just the Knicks and the Nets are in the running in 2010, and he has never said anything amounting to, "No way am I re-signing with Cleveland." He has done nothing to make me think he is dissing Cleveland (well, the Cavs at least; he dissed the Indians by wearing a Yankees cap to an Indians/NYY playoffs series).

Don't forget too that he grew up in the Cleveland market. It's his lifelong home, born and raised. If the Cavs can win a championship, free up some cap space and make some canny moves (which I think they have already done a bit with Wallace and Mo Williams), and the right friends and family members tug him the right way...I'm not optimistic, but I haven't completely given up hope.

And I'll still have a silver lining if he does leave: He is and will always be a big supporter of the University of Akron (I'm from Akron, as is Lebron, if you don't know), where several of his high school teammates went (and had a great run with), and that has made an impact on recruiting. In fact, next year, the Zips have a top 50 recruit coming in, the highest-ranked signee ever for a MAC school.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think what is rubbing some folks the wrong way is that he really has not gone out of his way to publically mention Cleveland as a possibility. There are some who want to say that the professional thing to do would be to downplay his impending free agency and just mention that NY would be a nice place to play but I am a Cavalier and want to win a title in Cleveland.

Basically he is not playing the PR game and his bluntness about his future is rubbing some folks the wrong way.

He needs to be careful though or he could potentially open himself up to tampering accusations.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

He's a bum.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm probably just being ridiculously in denial here, but I don't think he has said anything TOO out of line. He has said that more than just the Knicks and the Nets are in the running in 2010, and he has never said anything amounting to, "No way am I re-signing with Cleveland." He has done nothing to make me think he is dissing Cleveland (well, the Cavs at least; he dissed the Indians by wearing a Yankees cap to an Indians/NYY playoffs series).
He seems to have gone further with his comments than Bosh, Amare or Wade have, who are the other free agents in that class. Not saying James is wrong, just that he is kind of stretching things a bit more than most.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The problem is 2010 is still a year and a half away before he can leave Cleveland, and he's leaving the door open to all this to only get worse and create a bigger distraction...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:44 AM   #14
Steve
Registered Loser

Steve is on a distinguished road

Lebron, to the complete dismay of Knick fans everywhere, might sign a flippin extension with the Cavs before this season is even over. If that does happen, all the Knicks have to look forward to is Dywane Wade with his busted knees and the corpse of Chris Bosh. So that's gonna be fun.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Considering the Cavs are currently tied with the Lakers for the best record in the league he'd be crazy not to strongly consider staying in Cleveland if it truly is all about winning championships as he says. The Cavs are arguably the best team in the league right now and can still pay him the highest salary.