Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Ravens' WR Woes Continue

First Derrick Mason retires - now Drew Bennett does likewise within 48 hours of signing with Baltimore:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Where the Chargers-Chiefs exacta in the AFC West looks cold, the Steelers-Ravens exacta in the AFC North does not - particularly with both the Bengals and Browns being in much healthier shape at the quarterback position than they were a year ago.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know how much I would expect from the Browns now that Braylon was placed on the non-football injury list after showing up to camp a day late and failing his physical.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I don't know why everyone is still so high on the Ravens. I believe they played the easiest schedule in the NFL last season.

And why is everyone so high on Joe Flacco? Because he "won?" Did he really "win," or did he just "not lose."

His passer rating was just over 80 last season, not exactly "stellar." (good for 22nd in the NFL)

He threw for 12 INTs to just 14 TDs.

Yes, the Ravens won with Flacco at QB, but that had a lot more to do with the defense than anything.

That same defense took a big hit this offseason. They lost Bart Scott, Chris McAlister, and Jim Leonhard. Ray Lewis isn't getting any younger.

So, sorry, I'm not prepared to jump on the Joe Flacco-Ravens band wagon.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know that the Ravens D took that big of a hit this off season. McAlister did not even play the last 10 games of the year and it did not seem to affect them too much. Losing Leonhard is not that huge of a loss given he was filling in for Dawan Landry who got hurt and should be healthy and ready to go this summer. The main hit they took was losing Scott.

The Ravens may have had a soft schedule but they played well against some of the better teams they faced. They took Pittsburgh to OT at home, lost to the Titans by 3, won at Miami, beat Philly, lost to Pittsburgh by 4, won at Dallas, won again at Miami in the playoffs, and won at Tennessee in the playoffs. They showed last season they could hang with some of the best teams in the league.

One reason people may be jumping on the Ravens is the schedule looks relatively easy out of the division they get to face off against the mediocre NFC North and the wretched AFC West.

You are right with Flacco he did not so much win games as he did not lose them by making a lot of stupid rookie mistakes. I am curious to see how he fares without Mason this year though. It would not shock me to see some two TE sets since Todd Heap and L. J. Smith look to be their two best pass catching threats.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

BeDaBear is on a distinguished road

I don't see Baltimore making the playoffs this year. I agree that Cincinnati will be better, and will be the team to taking over for Baltimore in the playoffs this season. Cleveland on the other hand still has some work to do imo.
BeDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
Anthony

Cleveland is taking the steepest year-to-year drop in strength of schedule of not only any NFL team this season, but of any NFL team in recent, if not living memory; and are they going to go through five different quarterbacks again this year?

Now it's time for them to end the needless and totally phony suspense and hand the starting job to Brady Quinn, then trade Derek Anderson to either Buffalo, or (better yet, since they're not in the same conference) Minnesota or Seattle (people in Inner Mongolia already know that Quinn is going to get the nod no matter what).

The Browns don't even need Braylon Edwards to win at least seven games this year; indeed, an eight- or nine-win season is more likely (and remember that this comes from the same source that gave out ten wins for the Falcons at this time a year ago - and they ended up winning eleven).

Last edited by Anthony; 07-30-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
nine-win season is more likely
Taske that bet to Vegas because you will likely get 100-1 odds on that.

The Browns will be lucky to win 5 this year.

Think Fresh.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

As near as I can tell from looking at a couple of different betting sites it looks like the over/under on the Browns is 7 wins this year.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Taske that bet to Vegas because you will likely get 100-1 odds on that.

The Browns will be lucky to win 5 this year.

But the Bengals also figure to win 8 or 9 themselves.

And why do you say the Browns will be lucky to win 5 this year? To use a horse-racing analogy, the Browns ran in a Grade 1 stakes race last season; this year they're taking on $25,000 claimers (the Bengals are essentially in the same situation).

Both teams could actually get worse talent-wise and still win 2 or 3 games more than they did in 2008.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
And why do you say the Browns will be lucky to win 5 this year? To use a horse-racing analogy, the Browns ran in a Grade 1 stakes race last season; this year they're taking on $25,000 claimers (.
Yes, but the Browns lost 7 games last season by 10 points or more.

It's not like they were "close" to being good against a tough schedule.

The Bengals season last year is irrelevant because they didn't have Palmer.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

If Derek Anderson is given the job from the start, I think the Browns will be around 8 wins...I'm saying that without looking at a schedule, though.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
If Derek Anderson is given the job from the start, I think the Browns will be around 8 wins...I'm saying that without looking at a schedule, though.

How many games do you think they'll win if Brady Quinn is given the job from the start, as seems far more likely?

Meanwhile, returning to the original topic, it would appear as if Derrick Mason in in the midst of a Brett Favre mid-life crisis:

Derrick Mason on returning: 'It wasn't a ploy or anything contractual' - The Huddle - USATODAY.com

Last edited by Anthony; 08-04-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Less than 8, if Quinn starts. I think "lucky to win 5" sounds about right if Quinn is the QB.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
Less than 8, if Quinn starts. I think "lucky to win 5" sounds about right if Quinn is the QB.
I'm surprised that people have faith in Anderson. Quinn may be a question mark, but his potential ceiling has to be higher than Anderson's.

Anderson has a career passer rating of 75.1, with a completion % of 54.6. He is terrible on the road, terrible in the second half, even worse in the 4th quater, and terrible when his team is trailing.

You might not know what Quinn is going to give you, and he might suck, but Anderson has proven he is little more than a backup in this league.

Think Fresh.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

That's some pretty weak reasoning for dropping Anderson's ceiling lower than Quinn's. To start, 31 games is not a lot,

His first two seasons in Green Bay, Favre played 31 games. One year had an 85.3 rating and the other a 72.2 rating.

Anderson in his only full season had a rating of 82.5.

I'm obviously not saying that Anderson's ceiling is Brett Favre, but, right now, he's had one good season and one tumultuous one.

Terrible in the second half...I assume you mean of games, not of seasons because there's only one season to compare that on. But, still, I don't think the amount he has played is enough to discount his potential ceiling.

I don't think I ever would have put Quinn's potential ceiling over Anderson, including college. Quinn I thought was successful in college because of situation.