Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #16
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Knicks reportedly upping the ante for D'Antoni's services:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3386183

What is interesting to me is there is more interest in a one-trick pony like D'Antoni than in a coach, Johnson, who has actually taken a team to the League Finals in his coaching career.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #17
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Knicks reportedly upping the ante for D'Antoni's services:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3386183

What is interesting to me is there is more interest in a one-trick pony like D'Antoni than in a coach, Johnson, who has actually taken a team to the League Finals in his coaching career.
Both guys blow.

Johnson took a ready-made team to The Finals and has proceeded to get outcoached by Riley, Nellie and Byron Scott.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #18
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

The Bull situation is not hard to decipher. You can take a young, moderately talented team, more a middle of the pack, throw in a coach who stresses & demands defense & who will only put the players following that creed on the floor (Skiles) & you'll have a good shot at the playoffs in today's NBA. Of course till you run into the top teams who actually have the talent.

IMO Paxon had an epiphany at the beginning of the year that these Bulls weren't going to go too far no matter how defensive oriented & that the players had gotten older, tasted moderate success, & would start bucking the Skiles philosophy which had started last year. Chasing Bryant was just a shot at the Brass Ring probably for attendance & the remote possibility some better players might be enticed to come to Chicago down the line.

Silly move since Bryant's displeasure was not getting closer to a Title in LA & the Bulls having to gut the roster to get him. In reality, Bryant just made waves to get Buss's attention & was never coming to Chicago. All it accomplished is that it showed the Bull players that they were all expendable which made the whole team tank & ruin whatever chemistry they had. Getting rid of Skiles was just major salt in the wounds.

Truth is D'Antoni's 'success streak' is based on him having Nash & Amare. Without them, we wouldn't even be discussing him as successful since he wouldn't be riding the crest of 60 win seasons. I'm not even impressed with his offensive schemes since it's more the Nash decision making than offensive sets. Bottom line is the only way the Bulls stay competitive is to stay defense oriented since they have no big man, no front line scorer, or go-to guy in the crunch. Neither D'Antoni or Johnson would make any difference coming in & probably would fare worse. None of these HCs fit what the Bulls need right now.

You could put a monkey in that HC chair & not see much change. Well, unless that monkey's a defensive guru...:thumbup:
Old 05-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #19
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

The see saw 'battle' over D'Antoni seems to have swung the Bulls way:

excerpt:

Sources: Bulls, D'Antoni hold 'advanced' discussions

The two-team chase for Mike D'Antoni intensified when the outgoing Phoenix Suns coach held his most substantive talks yet with the Chicago Bulls in a late-evening conference call with team officials...

The Chicago Tribune, meanwhile, reported on Saturday that Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who owns a home in the Phoenix area, planned to meet face-to-face over the weekend with D'Antoni.

That would be the clearest indication yet that D'Antoni, as described by NBA coaching sources all week, is Chicago's top choice to fill a void created by the dismissals of Scott Skiles and interim successor Jim Boylan, in spite of any philosophical concerns that Chicago general manager John Paxson might have about hiring such an offensive-minded coach.

D'Antoni's strong desire to land the Bulls' job emerged even before the Suns gave him permission to pursue a new job. Sources maintain that he's still determined to get to Chicago and that Paxson -- while conservative and defensively focused like his Phoenix counterpart and close friend Steve Kerr -- is excited about the offensive potential he sees in pairing D'Antoni, widely deemed the NBA's foremost run-and-gun coach, with his young, skilled roster...

It's also still unclear who Phoenix will pursue to replace D'Antoni. Kerr insists he's years away from considering a coaching job. TNT analyst Doug Collins said Wednesday night he has "no interest" in being a head coach again in the NBA. And league coaching sources told ESPN.com the Suns do not plan to consider recently fired Dallas coach Avery Johnson, who also appears to be a back-burner candidate at best in both New York and Chicago.

I really don't care at this point. I'm doomed to be a Bulls fan but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Besides, I'm still Royally pissed at how the Bulls were dismantled back in the MJ days & especially for them letting Phil Jackson & the triangle get away.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #20
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Nevermind...

Reports: D'Antoni accepts offer to coach Knicks

I had a hard time believing Reinsdorf would really want to spend the money anyway. The rumor of Tom Thibodeau makes more sense from a defensive stand point besides of course the price.

Chicago talk radio even had Bill Laimbeer's name being bandied about. Yea, like that would ever happen...

Last edited by Tarkus; 05-10-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #21
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Next coach for Dallas is obviously going to be an offensive minded coach. Nowitski a defensive player????.... You gotta be kidding me.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

You do know the Mavs already hired Rick Carlisle right? He is not considered to be on the cutting edge in terms of offensive schemes by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #23
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Speaking of Carlisle...

I hear he want the Mavs to put in a "lot of sweat".

They already do that when it comes time to face a playoff opponent.

His job there is done...
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #24
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Speaking of Carlisle...

I hear he want the Mavs to put in a "lot of sweat".

They already do that when it comes time to face a playoff opponent.

His job there is done...

:lol:

I like Carlisle considering the options out there. He'll do fine but in the end we aren't gonna see a banner hang from the rafters in Dallas.

ESPN reported that Phoenix wants to take a look at Kurt Rambis for top dawg.

Kinda sucks for me. The highlight of watching a Laker game is seeing Rambis on the bench with Kareem sitting behind him.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
:lol:

ESPN reported that Phoenix wants to take a look at Kurt Rambis for top dawg.
ESPN has reported several guys are on the list. Mark Jackson is supposedly interviewing for the job and they are interested in Brian Shaw and the Spurs Mike Budenholzer as well.

The scuttlebutt on talk radio seems to be that they are not going to go after a big name coach and most likely hire an assistant from somewhere which probably won't sit terribly well with Shaq.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #26
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Add Terry Porter to the long, yet undistinguished, list of candidates in Phoenix:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3398493