Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

View Poll Results: Who will win the hockey tournament at the 2002 Olympic Winter Games?
Canada 6 60.00%
USA 1 10.00%
Russia 0 0%
Czech Republic 2 20.00%
Sweden 1 10.00%
Finland 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2001, 10:12 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Team Canada 2002

Undoubtedly, Team Canada will be the best team on paper come the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City, Utah. However, as we all know, games are not played on paper, so.....

Anyway, this thread will be to discuss Team Canada, as I know we do have a few Canucks following this NHL board.

First off, I am very disappointed with Wayne Gretzky right now. Gretzky, the General Manager of Team Canada's 2002 Men's Olympic Hockey team for the Salt Lake City games has released the list of 34 players, including the original 8 selected back in Februrary, that will play in a mini-camp in Calgary during the first week of September.

What I don't understand is why this list was limited to 34 players. 40 would've been a much better, rounder number... I can see him leaving off names like Brendan Shanahan whose time has come to give up his spot on the team, but why would he select someone like Simon Gagne ahead of Brad Stuart, Vincent Lecavalier, or Jason Allison, who was FOURTH in NHL scoring in the previous season!!!

...nevertheless, these players will still get a chance to play for Canada if they do well to start the NHL season, but still....

Also, who will win the "goaltending crisis" for Canada, 2002... maybe the question is, "If you have a 'goaltending crisis,' is it REALLY a 'crisis'!????"

Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph were all invited to the camp, as well as the final two goalies in the NHL last season, Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy. Plus, they could chose Sean Burke if he follows up last year's career season well, as well as young ones like Roberto Loungo!... who does the USA have!?... Richter -- past his prime... DiPietro -- too young.... and Boucher -- who seems to have been a "one year wonder." .... Czechs have only Hasek, so if he's injured, they're screwed (not a high chance, but a possibilty).... Swedes have Salo... Fins have almost no one.... Russia has Khabby....

Clearly, Canada is the best on paper, but a majority of the European teams are made up of just 50% NHL'ers, so the other 50% play together regularly and play a better team game than team USA and team Canada.

Anyway.. "what's the point of this thread," you ask??.. I'm not sure... I just want to hear your thoughts on the players left off of the list on the invitees to the Canadian training camp, as well as your thoughts on the goaltending controversy... also, reply to the poll above!
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 12:14 AM   #2
Jersey Devil
All-Star Player

Jersey Devil is on a distinguished road
Default I believe Lindros was invited to camp .....

But the word from Gretzky was ...... no team ...... no Olympics. Will this mean a trade will be coming soon? Or will Bobby Clarke stick to his guns and screw Eric over?
Old 07-26-2001, 01:59 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

....who voted for Team USA and who was the other person who voted for Team Canada besides me??... speak up and say who you are!... personally, I don't think USA stands the slightest chance... and I'm not just saying that -- I BELIEVE that!!!

Jersey -- I think Lindros will be sitting next year again, which also means that he will not be playing for Team Canada, as per what Gretzky said.
Old 07-27-2001, 11:58 PM   #4
Phillerup
Sports Enthusiast

Phillerup is on a distinguished road
Angry Belfour invited?

I don't understand how Ed Belfour got invited to camp after disappearing from Dallas in the middle of the season. Yes, he is a pretty good goaltender, but with a streak like his, I would have chosen goalies like Felix Potvin, Sean Burke or Roberto Luongo. What do you guys think?
Phillerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 02:13 AM   #5
rezag
Grizzled Veteran

rezag is on a distinguished road

I have never been a Lindros fan from his days in Oshawa to Nordiques...
Sometimes I am even tempted to take Clarke's 'side' but he should trade Lindros and be rid of it. If any of the rumors of the past months are true I think that the Leafs have/had offered the least compared to Detroit, St.Louis

Anyhow with or without Lindros Canada are the favorites maybe even more so without him.

GO HABS GO
GO CANADA GO
rezag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 04:04 PM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: Belfour invited?

Quote:
Originally posted by Phillerup
I don't understand how Ed Belfour got invited to camp after disappearing from Dallas in the middle of the season. Yes, he is a pretty good goaltender, but with a streak like his, I would have chosen goalies like Felix Potvin, Sean Burke or Roberto Luongo. What do you guys think?
Belfour had issues with the club.... both sides got over it... end of story. They had to invite Belfour to the camp... I mean, he's been standing on his head the past three years! -- three straight years, the Stars have made it to the conference finals, and almost were the first team to make the Cup finals for three straight years since the Oilers did it.... you don't get that far with a weak goaltender... plus, I'm VERY surprised you said that, being a fellow Manitoban!!!

Anyway, you can't argue with the four goalies going to the camp.... plus, I don't think they'll take three of those four... they'll take two, no doubt about it, but I think the third spot will go to the other hotest goaltender come December out of the guys you mentioned -- Potvin, Burke, Luongo, etc.

NOW..... WHO VOTED FOR THE OTHER COUNTRIES!?... I want to hear your opinions!!!!
Old 07-29-2001, 07:30 PM   #7
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I voted for the Canadian team...I'm a truthful American.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 04:02 PM   #8
dynamite kid
Rookie Player

dynamite kid is on a distinguished road
Default What About Patrick Lalime?!?!

Patrick Lalime totally deserves to be the 3rd goalie. He had such an awesome season! I bet he'll have another awesome season in 2001-2002. Patrick Lalime played so well in the playoffs and during the season **Career Season**. You can't forget about him, he's really good.
dynamite kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 05:54 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: What About Patrick Lalime?!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by dynamite kid
Patrick Lalime totally deserves to be the 3rd goalie. He had such an awesome season! I bet he'll have another awesome season in 2001-2002. Patrick Lalime played so well in the playoffs and during the season **Career Season**. You can't forget about him, he's really good.
True.... Lalime was excellent and a Vezina contender last year, his first year as a full-time starting goalie, IMO.... but his true side will be shown on this year if he continues his awesome play or flukes....

...he probably IS Canada's "goalie of the future" .... not Loungo or.. well.. I can't think of anyone else right now, but Lalime has shown the best signs of becoming a great spark for the future.

However, if all three of the "big 3" -- Brodeur, Joseph, and Roy -- are asked and all three accept, there should be no doubt that Lalime or Loungo should NOT go just simply "for the experience."
Old 10-15-2001, 12:14 AM   #10
twistedagain
Sports Enthusiast

twistedagain is on a distinguished road

Well I chose the Czech Republic to win the Gold medal again.

When it comes down to the Canadians and being picked as the favorite again in the Olympics, they are guaranteed to choke.

With gretzky in management roll, you can expect him to try and change our Canadian boys to his wimpish ways of playing (whining and diving were his specialties). There probably some very happy Canadians not chosen to play for Team Canada because of gretzky's roll or part.

Actually I think the US has a better chance of winning a medal than the Canadians.
twistedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 08:42 AM   #11
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by twistedagain
Actually I think the US has a better chance of winning a medal than the Canadians.
WHOA!!!!!!! How do you figure that!??... I mean sure, they have home-ice advantage, but U.S. better than Canada!?

Okay -- Dunham vs. Brodeur/Joseph/Roy/Belfour/Burke/Lalime

Uhhhh.... I just don't see it.