Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-19-2002, 11:55 PM   #1
MSUfan04
Rookie Player

MSUfan04 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation My Early 2003 NFL mock draft

the following is a mock draft. what i think will happen. the draft order is also the order that the season is shaping. any feedback welcome!

1. Bengals-B.Keftwich-QB-Marshall
--QB problems are always in Cinci, despite Byron's negative comments towards Cinci, they will have to get along.
2. Texans-W.Joseph-DT-Miami (FL)
--A defensive crown jewel for this young, developing team.
3. Seahawks-E.Henderson-MLB-Maryland
--This dominating LB will help the seahawks at one of their week spots imediatly. Big, 6'2 250
4. Lions-D.Weathersby-CB-Oregon St.
--Passed on Jammer last year to get Joey Harrington, this year they will help out a very poor defensive backfield.
5. Panthers-D.Ragone-QB-Louisville
--big pocket passer will be a BIIIG step up from demoted weinkie or aging Pette.
6. Cowboys-J. Kennedy-DT-Penn St.
--mamoth 2gap DT will help bring Boys to next level.
7. Ravens- K.King-DE-Alabama
--highly touted prosect helps raven rebuild a once gret D.
8. Bears-C.Simms-QB-Texas
--Qb with great liniage will prove doubters wrong when he takes the job from either OLD veterans.
9. Vikings-M.Doss-SS-Ohio st.
--one of the best players ive ever seen will be a nice contributer to poor vikings D as soon as he gets into a uniform.
10. Cardinals-J.McDougle-DE-Miami (FL)
--with last years pick, bryant, in two years this line will be SCARRYYY!!
11. Redskins-C.Ragers-WR-Michigan St.
--best reciever in college will become spuriors best friend(and Ramsey's)
12. Browns-B.Johnson-OT-Wisconsin
--this pick helps a bad line and a even worse run game.
13. Jaguars-B.Williams-OT-Miami (FL)
--bosselli who? (plus pearson= 2 nice tackles)
14. pATS(bills)- R. Williams-WR-Texas
--Moss like WR will be a nice target
15. Chiefs- A. Johnson-WR-Miami (FL)
--playmaker will make vermiel a happy coach
16. jETS-M.Trufant-CB-Washington St.
--helps rebuild jet's CB position after both old ones go to texans in expansion draft.
17. Patriots-L.Suggs-RB-Virginia Tech
--nice tail back will allow Pats to have more options.
18. Giants-M.Holland-Florida St.
--definatly a nedd based pick
19. Titans-K.Washington-WR-Tennessee
--another nice wr from the volenteer st. will really help our mcnair and george
20. Steelers-E.Wilson-CB-Illinois
--just adds to an already great defense
21.Raiders-E.Strong-OLB-Mississippi
--helps in a few years after oldies retire
22. Rams- A.Walker-TE- Florida
--recieving TE has size and hands to contribute to explosive O
23. Falcons-B.Lloyd-WR-Illinois
--give vick some options.
24. Dolphins-T.Tucker-G/T-So. Mississippi
--versatile OL will help out sub-par line
25. COlts- M. Haggan-MLB- Mississippi St.
--Dungy makes more defensive picks
26. Saints-T.Holt-FS- No. Carolina st.
--anopther need based pick, should contribute early
27. Eagles- L. Toefield-RB-LSU
--finnaly, a ligit Rb in the system, look for WRs in late rounds
28. Buccaneers-T.Pashos-OT- Illinois
--helps out week line
29. Chargers-M.Parenteau-OG-Boston COllege
--makes up for taking a DB insteat of OL early last draft
30. 49ers-S.Davis-CB-Texas A&M
--One of my favorite draftees, him and plummer will help stop rams WRs
31. Broncos-K.Moorehead- DT/DE-Alabama
--need based pick
32. Packers-T.Polamalu-SS-So. California
--Archiletta clone will make the loss of Leroy butler easier
MSUfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 04:01 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

If the Eagles draft toefield, then they will have 4 injury prone backs on their team....toefield is an injury waiting to happen.

I hope your wrong about Kelly Washington going to my Titans....he gets on my nerves, and his play on the field is not as big as his mouth.

Bears going with Chris Simms at #8 is out of the question....if the Bears do that, then they are setting themselves up for another bad year at QB...and then some.

Joey
Old 11-20-2002, 04:34 PM   #3
CHOsen1
Grizzled Veteran

CHOsen1 is on a distinguished road

i hope your wrong with ragone going to my panthers, i think, brad banks should be picked up instead of ragone, even though he has only one year of playing experience, but come on he has the highest passing percentage in all of ncaa. just my two cents.

but it is a little early to be having a early mock draft when the season has just past the half way point in the nfl. but you have an interesting mock draft MSUfan04, where is larry johnson? i think he'll get picked up early, but i think he's going to be like william green or maybe like a fellow psu alum ki-jana carter. toefield is a suspect choice since he isnt the top rusher at lsu, and he's only a jr. but overall pretty interesting...

Last edited by CHOsen1; 11-20-2002 at 04:38 PM.
CHOsen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:51 PM   #4
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Joey your right about Toefield, plus there is no way Toefield will be the second RB taken in the draft anyway. He listed Suggs ahead of Toefield, which will happen, but Johnson will also go ahead of Toefield.

According to ESPN, Washington's entire football future may be in question now, have you heard more on this? He also listed several WR's who are underclassmen, really hard to go on anything there.

Joey agains your right, no way Simms goes that high or before Palmer, for that matter Ragone wont go before Palmer either.

The Lions will go after Rodgers if he is there at #4, harrington is the future down there but he needs some help. D is solid in Detroit, they need help at WR.

Cowboys will take Palmer if he is there at #6. But Seattle may grab him at #4.

Archiletta and Polamalu arent clones by any stretch of the imagination, other then they play the same position. Archiletta llikes to play the ball, while Polamalu likes to play the man, he is the typical USC safety, just like Dennis Thurman, Ronnie Lott, Dennis Smith, Tim Macdonald, Mark Carrier and Sammy Knight. Hit first players.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 08:45 PM   #5
MSUfan04
Rookie Player

Default palmer

thanks for the input, mabey teofield was a strech and same for simms. Really think palmer, a guy who is having first good year, will go as high as 4th!? that surprised me. the lions d stills scares me.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:59 PM   #6
Sports Virtuoso

Dont put too much stock into the fact that Palmer is FINALLY having a great year. He has been at SC for 5 years and this year is the first time he has had the same Offensive coordinator in back to back years. 4 different ones his first 4 years. He has actually always put up good numbers except he also was prone to throw interceptions at an equally high rate, until this year. He is the all time passing yardage leader in the Pac 10 and they have had one or two decent QB's thru the years in that conference.

If Rogers is there for the Lions to pick, there is no way I think they will let him get out of the state. The Lions need help at several spots, but they have too much of there future invested in Harrington, not to get him some top of the line help. The receivers he has now are 2nd an 3rd option guys at best, he needs a MAN, a go to guy, a #1 big time wide out to help him be what they hope for him.

I see your an MSU fan in Ohio, that must not sit well with alot of people..............lol.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:20 PM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

I do know that Kelly Washington has been sitting games out this season at Tennesse...and it is not all due to him being injuried. I heard that he and the coaching staff had a falling out, but if that was the case I don't understand why he is still on the team and on the sidelines. Washington should have went pro last season, because even his raw talent is deminished by his attitude and the way he has handled situations over the past year.

And I think Charles Rodgers will go high as well....and #47 makes great points about Rodgers being in the same state...and Harrington definitely could use a consistent target every week.

Joey
Old 11-21-2002, 06:37 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My Early 2003 NFL mock draft

Quote:
Originally posted by MSUfan04
32. Packers-T.Polamalu-SS-So. California
--Archiletta clone will make the loss of Leroy butler easier
Won't happen. The Packers have a rookie stud safety from UCLA named Marques Anderson who has been Rookie of the Week several times and he has beaten out Antuan Edwards for the starting spot. GB will more likely draft a LB or QB...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:43 PM   #9
MSUfan04
Rookie Player

Default okay

thanks for all of the response. I see many errors in my ways because of your input. Working on a new and improved one...coming soon. Make your own, i love looking at this stuff!
Old 11-21-2002, 06:55 PM   #10
CHOsen1
Grizzled Veteran

CHOsen1 is on a distinguished road

i agree it is interesting stuff, but its tuff to come up with this kinda of stuff especially if you dont know whose coming out
Old 11-21-2002, 08:16 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Where are all those 2nd string Defensive Linemen from Miami who are supposedly such outstanding players? I thought they were all 1st round picks.

(See some post in the college football board on how I feel about the 'Canes' vaunted front 7)

I think Ragone has played himself into a 3rd or 4th round draft pick-- shockingly, the QB position isn't likely to be in as strong demand as is often the case. Palmer's played himself into a 1st rounder, but I don't know where he'd go. Maybe Cincy will take him. I really don't want Leftwich to go to Cincy....

I think the more interesting question at this point in the season is this:
What does each team need? It's difficult to start mock drafting this soon, but we should be well aware of team needs at this juncture.

Dave
Old 11-21-2002, 08:31 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by #47
Dont put too much stock into the fact that Palmer is FINALLY having a great year. He has been at SC for 5 years and this year is the first time he has had the same Offensive coordinator in back to back years. 4 different ones his first 4 years. He has actually always put up good numbers except he also was prone to throw interceptions at an equally high rate, until this year. He is the all time passing yardage leader in the Pac 10 and they have had one or two decent QB's thru the years in that conference.
Agreed. Palmer is a probable 1st rounder. I suppose it's possible he's a 1st pick, but it might depend on what the Bengals front office looks like. Seems likely that Jauron will be out in Chicago--though not all his fault. If Jauron were to move to Cincy, they may try to trade for a veteran, which might be the better way to go for the Bengals. They just need to avoid stiffs like Frerotte, and definitely avoid Jake Plummer, who the Cards won't extend.

Quote:
Originally posted by #47
If Rogers is there for the Lions to pick, there is no way I think they will let him get out of the state. The Lions need help at several spots, but they have too much of there future invested in Harrington, not to get him some top of the line help. The receivers he has now are 2nd an 3rd option guys at best, he needs a MAN, a go to guy, a #1 big time wide out to help him be what they hope for him.
Honestly, #47, I'd be pretty surprised if they went offensive talent with their 1st round pick again. Their defense is pretty scary, not Vikings scary, but...

I would NOT be surprised if Millen went offensive line. Also wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down to get O line and a defensive player in the late 1st/2nd rounds. Do they need to upgrade at WR? Absolutely. They might be better off trying to get David Boston if AZ doesn't extend his contract. And the way the Cards are going, they may get to pick Rogers before the Lions anyway...

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:17 PM   #13
Sports Virtuoso

Dave I think Cincy will take Leftwich with the first pick. I see one of 3 teams taking Palmer: Seattle, Carolina or the Cowboys.

Well if Detroit can sign a big WR like that(boston), then I totally agree they will not draft him. There is no way they can have no weapons on the outside for there future of the franchise(Harrington).
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:29 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Stop saying Leftwich to Cincy. I want better for him. He wants better for him. Hell, I'd rather he went to Dallas, I think. (I despise the Cowboys, but at least they're likely to win in my lifetime.)

He'll be gone before they could get him without trading up, but do you think Tampa would be interested in Palmer.

Football's funny. This was supposed to be the best QB draft in 20 years, or whatever the hype was at the start of the season. Are there any more than three QBs likely to even go in the 1st round anymore? And they've changed a bit, I think.

Leftwich obviously, Palmer's won folks over. But, who else? Simms will probably go in the 1st, but be labeled a bust before being given an opportunity to grow into a job. I can't think of another QB I'd draft in the 1st round. Maybe Dorsey, I guess. Though I don't know who'd take him.

I agree Detroit needs a franchise receiver, but they have SO many holes.

Dave
Old 11-21-2002, 09:32 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Will the 'Boys really give up on Hutchinson so soon? It's clear that the Quincy Carter Experiment is over, but are they ready to quit on the singin' cowboy? (Or was he the one who played quitar?)

I actually see the 'Boys going after Larry Allen's replacement in the 1st round. Will Palmer be around that late? Larry Allen's replacement won't be, that's for sure.

Dave