Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 03-20-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road
Default Unfortunate..

Wow, I musta lost my way!

I remember asking Lee if anybody gets hurt when the puck flies into the crowd. This is a bit sad thou:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._puck_death_11
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 10:08 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Heard about this and it's real unfortunate. If I recall, they have warnings on the tickets, but this is the same as in baseball with fly balls and lose bats, or in golf, when people get in the way of the golf ball.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 12:18 PM   #3
RaviPachai18

marc, do you know of any deaths in a golf tournament due to being hit by a golf ball? I'm just wondering because I can't remember ever hearing about one, but I'm sure it's happened!? People seem to get hit every round with the increased number of spectators, but they never say what happens to them.

Ravi
Old 03-20-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I read an article on MyWinnipeg.com recently... this is the first death at an NHL, NBA, or NFL event due to objects flying out of the playing area.

And that's right, Ravi (sorry that it said "Rick" the first time...) -- you did ask me but this is the first death ever in an NHL hockey game.. by a fan at least (Bill Masterton died in the 50s or 60s a few days after being seriously injured on the ice, but no player has died ON the ice)....I think they said that some people have been seriously injured from baseball but I forget about deaths.

I don't know if there's warnings on tickets, but there are in the program books and on the PA system, just like in baseball

Last edited by lmanchur.; 03-21-2002 at 09:35 AM.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 10:33 PM   #5
RaviPachai18

LEE, that's the second time, my name is not RICK it's RAVI...jeez, just take a look at my username.

According to the article, this is the third death of a fan since 1979 due to pucks flying out into the crowd...

Ravi
Old 03-21-2002, 03:08 AM   #6
icas
And then the robot killed

icas is on a distinguished road

The weird thing is the girl walked out of the arena... yes head traumas can take a few days before any signs are shown, but if this was hospital neglegence, would they really come out and say? I guess i don't buy it till the autopsy... what i'm about to say is not really a contradiction either... it is sad however that she died, and also you gotta think that the guy who shot the puck is feeling mighty miserable... it's also cool that the blue jackets have taken the responsibility to pay for the hospital and funeral costs...
Old 03-21-2002, 09:34 AM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

To answer your confusion icas . . .What happened is that the pick hit 2 people before hitting her apparently in the temple. It snapped her head back and caused a blockage of an artery down in the spinal area . . . so she was able to walk OK for a while but .. I mean, a clogged artery -- it builds up over time, they couldn't catch it soon enough, and she died 48 hours later.

At least, that's the story I've got out of a few web articles I've read and listening on the TV yesterday.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:03 PM   #8
RaviPachai18

Quote:
Larry Young, 61, was sitting one row in front of and two seats to the left of the girl and said he was hit in the back of the head by the puck. He believes the puck hit Brittanie and then glanced off the back of his head before hitting a small child who was sitting one seat behind him to his left.
Kinda weird, that article says she was hit first and the other two people after her. How fast would that puck be travelling when it hit her in her head?

Ravi
Old 03-21-2002, 06:39 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Hmmm... I dunno. That depends. They usually aren't that fast if they go over the side boards but I think that this was over the end-boards (above the goalie). Espen Knutsen doesn't really have the hardest shot in the NHL, and it hit a d-man's stick before it went over the gl**** so it could be going anywhere from 30 MPH to 90 MPH.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:00 PM   #10
proudcanadian
Rookie Player

proudcanadian is on a distinguished road

They say she died from a busted aretery or something like that.it happened when her head snapped back from the hit.....either way it is terrible.....so young
proudcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:02 PM   #11
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

I think it's sad someone had to die that way... but the Wings and Jackets showed a heart with the initials B.N.C on the back of their helmets, that was thoughtful.