Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default Each team's biggest concern...

Each team has some concerns. Here's a list of each team, ad what their biggest worry is going into the season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...nnsi&type=lgns

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Ben Zobrist the Rays biggest concern this year???

How about improving the worst bullpen in baseball?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Ben Zobrist the Rays biggest concern this year???

How about improving the worst bullpen in baseball?
Worst bullpen in baseball...maybe...but the Reds are giving them a run for their money. They continue to sign 40+ pitchers in an attempt to take that dubius title from the Rays

Think Fresh.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I just saw that at Yahoo. Thanks for posting it, Fresh.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

No prob catman, I hope I'm not steppin' on your toes or anything. Just thought it was an interesting read.

Think Fresh.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I never mind seeing something posted here. It is, as you said, an interesting read. Everyone has there own take on their team.

Catman
Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Brad Ausmus is the Astros biggest concern? I guess it doesnt make a difference that there will be no proven guys to throw to him in the 4th and 5th spots of the rotation...
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
Brad Ausmus is the Astros biggest concern? I guess it doesnt make a difference that there will be no proven guys to throw to him in the 4th and 5th spots of the rotation...
Seems to be a common theme. Back-end of the rotation is pretty weak in this league. Is it me or is good pitching becoming increasingly rare in baseball?

coachJ,
You think the Rocket should come back to Houston, or would you prefer to see the money spent elsewhere?

Think Fresh.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The thing of it is, the quality of pitching is in the state that it is due in large part to the owners wanting it to be that way. They turned a blind eye to performance enhancers over the years. They keep building smaller and smaller ballparks in an effort to drive up home runs. There is a, at best, token effort by MLB to make umpires enforce the regulation strike zone.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #10
coachJ
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Seems to be a common theme. Back-end of the rotation is pretty weak in this league. Is it me or is good pitching becoming increasingly rare in baseball?

coachJ,
You think the Rocket should come back to Houston, or would you prefer to see the money spent elsewhere?
I believe signing the Rocket would only solidify the rotation because he is still one of the top pitchers in the game. If you have the ability to try to bring in a top pitcher why wouldnt you? If the offense is able to give him run support i dont see why he couldnt win, and i expect the offense to be better this year, so i guess we'll just have to wait and see what he wants to do, but i think he is going to go back to the Yankees.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The thing of it is, the quality of pitching is in the state that it is due in large part to the owners wanting it to be that way. They turned a blind eye to performance enhancers over the years. They keep building smaller and smaller ballparks in an effort to drive up home runs. There is a, at best, token effort by MLB to make umpires enforce the regulation strike zone.
I agree here, doublee. The problem has existed for years and I don't see any solution that won't cost a lot of umpires their jobs. I want to see the strike zone the same in the 3rd inning as it is in the 5th, 7th, 1st and 9th. I do not like to see a "moving" strike zone, and neither do major league hitters and pitchers. Consistancy is the key.
I agree with the assessment of the Twins' starters, but fail to see why Rondell White is as important as they seem to think he is to the Twins' chances.

Catman
Old 01-26-2007, 02:46 AM   #12
coachJ
All-Star Player

I agree with you catman. I dont see how in one article you can label Brad Ausmus as the concern for the Astros, and then in another article rank him the second best catcher in the NL, just doesnt make any sense at all. Either he is a liability or he is the second best catcher in the NL, i dont see how it could be both. If you are going to rank Ausmus as a liability behind the plate, than i dont see how you couldnt have Everett as a liability at shortstop because Ausmus is just as good defensively behind the plate as Everett is in the field, and they both dont put out great offensive numbers so i just dont see how you could label one as the biggest concern and not the other.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

For Kansas City, it will be interesting to see how Ryan Shealy develops. He was certainly impressive in his rookie year in the league, compiling a .330 batting average with two home runs, 16 runs batted and no errors in 36 games played.

I know Odalis Perez is presently listed as being second in the rotation on the depth chart for Kansas City, but the Royals still have high-expectations for Zach Greinke returning to his 2004 season form.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I agree here, doublee. The problem has existed for years and I don't see any solution that won't cost a lot of umpires their jobs. I want to see the strike zone the same in the 3rd inning as it is in the 5th, 7th, 1st and 9th. I do not like to see a "moving" strike zone, and neither do major league hitters and pitchers. Consistancy is the key.
I agree with the assessment of the Twins' starters, but fail to see why Rondell White is as important as they seem to think he is to the Twins' chances.
I don't like the fact that the strike zone is different for different pitchers. For instance, Greg maddox gets a lot of calls that someone like Bronson Arroyo doesn't get. Give the best pitchers even more of an advantage? I don't think that makes much sense. But yes, consistancy in the strike zone is the most important thing.

Think Fresh.