Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

BeDaBear is on a distinguished road
Default Overtime in the NFL

From what I have heard it is looking like the NFL might talk about changing the overtime rules as they are. IMO that would be great. Here is how I think it should be done.

Team A wins the coin toss goes down and scores a TD and extra pt. Team A now kicks off to team B. It is now sudden death. Plain and simple. Team B must match team A's score to stay alive, or beat it to win. After both teams get the ball in OT at least once the first to score wins.
BeDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Who exactly is discussing this?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

Jim Nance from CBS sports, and Peter King from SI are pushing for it. Peter King reported that some coaches on the rule committee (like Jeff Fisher) is willing to discuss the issue in the up coming meetings.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Anthony

No less than the President of the United States is pushing for a playoff in college football.

If this ends up being scheduled for a vote at the owners' meeting, then and only then should anyone be terribly concerned about this.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
No less than the President of the United States is pushing for a playoff in college football.

If this ends up being scheduled for a vote at the owners' meeting, then and only then should anyone be terribly concerned about this.
Believe it or not Anthony the media has a lot of pull in this Country. So much so that they get Presidents elected, and change policies. That being said I heard Roger Goodell on the Herd on ESPN 2 (I can't stand that guy Cowherd)
and Goodell said he is expecting the committee to duscuss the OT issue. Now if they are going to change anything I don't know, but something needs to be changed about OT in the NFL. I think it's going to bring it even more to the forefront if todays game goes into OT, which I feel has a real good chance of happening.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Interesting, SC ran a story calling for the NFL to adopt college football-esque overtime: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...l_overtime.php

I think the college format goes on for too long and you end up with like 8 OTs. But the NFL format is less fair because the team who wins the coin toss has a big advantage. So there needs to be some sort of hybrid...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
Anthony

The ideal solution here can be found in those Miller Lite commercials from the early-to-mid-'90s - you know, the ones that showed "sports" like the Sumo High-Dive and the Miss Perfect Face-Off (aimed specifically at my age demographic - the 21-to-35-year-olds of that era).

Do both! Adopt the college rules about where each possession begins (or perhaps move it back to mid-field), but have a 15-minute clock run, and if the score is still tied when the time expires, that's how the game ends (as for the playoffs - doesn't the existing college rules make it in effect "sudden death" after a certain number of possessions by both teams, albeit after both teams have had the same number of posessions, much like extra innings work in baseball? Thus a full, second 15-minute period would not be necessary).
Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Win the game.

Simple.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

No, I would not do it the college at all. It's very simple imo.
1. Say S.D kicks off to K.C in OT. KC turns over the ball on the kickoff and S.D scores a TD or FG, game over.
2. S.D kicks to K.C. K.C scores a FG. K.C kicks to S.D. S.D scores a TD, game over.
3. S.D kicks to K.C. K.C scores a TD, or a FG. K.C kicks to S.D and S.D matches the TD, or the FG. The next team that scores wins. 15 min clock in reg season, and no time limit in playoffs. And someone made a good point yesterday about this (at least I thought it was LOL). The away team always gets the the ball first in OT.