Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default Sanctions for FSU???

FSU expands probe, plans for sanctions

By BRIAN LANDMAN, Times Staff Writer

Florida State's investigation into a case of academic misconduct has become more difficult and potentially more problematic with the Music City Bowl fast approaching.

The school initially found 23 student-athletes in nine sports, including football, were given answers by a tutor for an online test in an online class, but at the urging of the NCAA, the internal investigation has expanded.

"We're following their guideline to stay in lockstep," FSU president T.K. Wetherell said Thursday. "We were dealing with one semester and one class when we started, now we're dealing with three semesters back to the summer of 2006 even though none of the data suggests there's a problem there."

That's meant hundreds more students to interview, some of whom are or were student-athletes. That means there's the possibility of more admissions; and some could be football players whose next game is Dec. 31 against Kentucky in Nashville. Or not.

"That's a true statement," Wetherell said. "It's not a probable statement."

Receiver Joslin Shaw, a senior from Plant City, was one of the 23 and he was held out for the first month before he was cleared to play beginning Oct. 6 against North Carolina State. Sophomore defensive end Kevin McNeil has been held out the entire season and his status remains unclear.

"There's an NCAA rule that if you knowingly play someone who's ineligible, you could forfeit the game," Wetherell said. "We don't know of anybody we've played (who was ineligible), but we're going back and looking and double checking and re-asking and re-asking and trying to get answers. ... We don't know the answers right now."

Student confidentiality prevents Wetherell, or any school official, from naming names or commenting on specific players. The school's final report to the NCAA, which officials had hoped to finish last month, is still not done, but Wetherell said it will include self-imposed sanctions that could mean a loss in scholarships.

Wetherell also said he plans to hire a new athletic director in January, which means he's zeroing in on a candidate(s). The advisory search committee that includes faculty, staff, students and alumni met for the first time Thursday afternoon.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Damn Cheaters. I hate the semionles.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
themush
Banned

By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

As Many As 20 FSU Players Suspended

As many as 20 Florida State football players will be suspended from playing against Kentucky in the Dec. 31 Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl, as well as the first three games of the 2008 season, for their roles in an alleged cheating scandal involving an Internet-based course, a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday morning.

Florida State officials are expected to announce the results of the investigation this week. The source said university officials determined Monday night the exact number of football players who will be suspended. The university isn't expected to immediately reveal the identities of the student-athletes involved in the alleged cheating.

"If the players fight the suspensions, they'll risk losing all of their eligibility," a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday morning.......

20 players? What happens if they forfeit the game?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

They may have to forfeit Mush.20 guys is a whole lot. If they don't forfeit I don't think they have a shot to win.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
themush
Banned

That's what I mean. Half of the team not going to play? How can they even field a team?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

They're robbing Kentucky of a legitimate game now ... if UK wins, it won't mean squat cuz it was against a depleted team. Talk about poisoning the bowl reward for a team. :thumbdown:
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
themush
Banned

I hadn't thought about it from that angle. This does suck for UK, this year they had a good team and like you said the Bowl doesn't mean squat.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Islanders19
Grizzled Veteran

Islanders19 is on a distinguished road

The last I read was that it would be a total of 33 players not going. Some were because of injurys, But most were for the cheating. I am a Fsu fan. This though really sickens me. They are getting a free ride to play football. How can they thay think they would not get caught? I live in Tn, I was thinking of going to the game, but now I might not even watch the game on tv.
Islanders19 is offline   Reply With Quote