Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

View Poll Results: Well?
SEC 4 26.67%
Big 12 2 13.33%
Other 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2003, 10:25 PM   #16
MelYeah
Rookie Player

MelYeah is on a distinguished road

It's a toss up between the SEC and Big XII, but I'll lean toward the SEC, mainly because of Florida, Kentucky and Georgia. And despite all of Alabama's troubles, they'll probably make the tournament still.

And I'm not gonna claim they're the hottest, but somebody had better start giving the Big East more credit. It's a solid conference. No, it's not like it was in the '80s when St. John's, Georgetown, Villanova and Syracuse (GO ORANGE) were going to the Final Four, but it's a lot better than people give it credit for.
MelYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:57 AM   #17
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

It's the Big 10 people. Look at what lower seed team from the Big en has made it to at least the final four for the past few years. I'm too lazy too look, but i think it goes back to 1997 the last time the Big Ten didn't have a team in the final four.

There is just such a parody in this conference, that's why so many teams are at or below 50% with no clear winner of the division.

And when it comes down to it in the big games, the big 10 are always involved. Duke vs Indiana last year to name one.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:08 PM   #18
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Diceman
It's the Big 10 people. Look at what lower seed team from the Big en has made it to at least the final four for the past few years. I'm too lazy too look, but i think it goes back to 1997 the last time the Big Ten didn't have a team in the final four.

There is just such a parody in this conference, that's why so many teams are at or below 50% with no clear winner of the division.

And when it comes down to it in the big games, the big 10 are always involved. Duke vs Indiana last year to name one.
LOL ... you can't be serious. The Big 10 is making a run at being one of the worst major conferences this year. They have no team head and shoulders above the rest ... just a bunch of mediocre teams, plain and simple. Indiana has struggled, MSU has struggled, the list goes on. I like the SEC, Big 12, Big East, ACC, and maybe the Pac-10 over the Big 10.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 02:26 AM   #19
ThaReaper
Sports Enthusiast

ThaReaper is on a distinguished road

To go address the MAIN QUESTION my pick is going with the SEC. From top to bottom they have more solid teams than the BIG 12 and I think we'll see that in the Tourny.

BIG 10? What a joke!

ACC? No way this year. Maybe if NC wouldn't have lost Sean May they would have made the ACC look better. Maybe if NC State would have played to its potential they would have looked better. Maybe if Virginia would play with more consistency it would have made the ACC look better. Maybe if Duke and Maryland wouldn't lose all their players to the NBA it would have made the ACC look better. ALL THESE MAYBE'S DIDN'T HAPPEN! So they are the 4th major in my book.

PAC-10? Not likely. How many coaches wiull be fired after the season in the PAC-10?
ThaReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:35 PM   #20
RoyalBlue
Rookie Player

RoyalBlue is on a distinguished road

If you're talking right NOW, before the tournament starts, which conference is best, that's a tough call. It's easy to say your conference is best and twist stats all you want to make it back up your statements, but until the tournament is done, there is no way of knowing for sure. Everyone posting here says their conference is better than anyone else's, so what? You can quote your RPIs and Sagarins and head to head numbers, but the NCAA tourney is put up or shut up time, as far as I am concerned. And just because a team wins the national title doesn't mean the whole conference it is in is the best one. That's the silliest argument of all. If I say Conference X is better than Conference Y overall, what does it matter if ALL their teams haven't played each other head to head? If not..I'm just blowing smoke.
RoyalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 01:03 AM   #21
ThaReaper
Sports Enthusiast

Just for the record my team, Duke, plays in the ACC which I said was 4th. You can determine what conference is better by watching the games thru the season in all the conferences if you know what basketball is about. What happens if the Big 12 goes inti the tourny this year and their top teams Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, OSU all get bumped out early by cinderellas? An unlikly scenario but it's happened before. Would this make the Big12 a "weaker" conference by this happening? Would, by this logic, the Big 10 or ACC be ranked higher if they had a few teams that don't fall victim to Early Exits? I don't think you can determine a conference strength by a single tournament because there are far to many upsets in the Big Dance. You must factor in the entire season which is what people have done in this thread. Yes minds might change after the tourny, but they did during the season as well.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:55 AM   #22
Marc
Administrator

It comes down to this. The Big 12 is very good, but top-heavy with much weaker teams like Butler at the bottom. The SEC is not as top-heavy (except for Kentucky ), and has great balance with a better RPI. I would take the SEC's worst teams, Vandy and SC, against the worst teams in most other conferences.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:43 PM   #23
RoyalBlue
Rookie Player

Of course I think just the opposite, that the Big 12 has the slightedge overall over the SEC. The SEC is the one that's top heavy, with Kentucky and Mississippi State and Florida and then decent but not great teams like Auburn and Alabama and then that's about it. I think the Big 12's strength goes from three great teams, Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma, to two very good teams, not that far away from the top three in Oklahoma State and Missouri, then good teams like Texas Tech and Colorado. Only Kansas State and Nebraska really werent that competitive in a league that just beat up each other all season long (Although they played a lot of close games they lost in conference). I don't hold much thought for early season matchups between conference powers, as all that matters is how you are playing when the tournament starts. But I'm not the one putting the SOS and RPIs together and they count those games.

Last edited by RoyalBlue; 03-23-2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:57 AM   #24
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc

LOL ... you can't be serious. The Big 10 is making a run at being one of the worst major conferences this year. They have no team head and shoulders above the rest ... just a bunch of mediocre teams, plain and simple. Indiana has struggled, MSU has struggled, the list goes on. I like the SEC, Big 12, Big East, ACC, and maybe the Pac-10 over the Big 10.
We'll see. Illinois, Michigan St., Wisconsin, Indiana, and Purdue are in the tournament. With Minnesota with a damn good shot at winning the NIT.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #25
ThaReaper
Sports Enthusiast

Quote:
We'll see. Illinois, Michigan St., Wisconsin, Indiana, and Purdue are in the tournament.
WOW!!!!! I'll be picking them all to fall in the first 2 rounds maybe even the first except for Illinois.......Indiana Michigan State and Purdue have no shot whatsoever and I dont like the chances of Wisconsin either.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:22 PM   #26
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyalBlue
Of course I think just the opposite, that the Big 12 has the slightedge overall over the SEC. The SEC is the one that's top heavy, with Kentucky and Mississippi State and Florida and then decent but not great teams like Auburn and Alabama and then that's about it.
Not so, my friend! You forgot Tennessee and Georgia (winning conference records), too. Sure, Kentucky made the league look top-heavy because of their dominance, but the league is very balanced otherwise. For example, Vanderbilt took Florida to OT before the Gators pulled away.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:44 AM   #27
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Illinois, Michigan St., Wisconsin, Indiana, and Purdue, all won in a convincing fasion. Except Illinois. GO me! I'm da man! Purdue KILLED LSU. Michigan St. beat a big 12 team. indiana beat an SEC team. *waves by to those conferences*
Old 03-22-2003, 12:18 PM   #28
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Diceman, good job in defending the the Big 10. I for one would have never done so, but not only is the Big 10 undefeated in tourney play so far, they have won 3 games over power conferences.

Pac 10 is 4-1, and have also impressed in tourney play. That damn ASU Pac 10 school had to ruin my Memphis Tiger's season though, which was a bummer for me.

SEC is 3-3, but their record will improve greatly with the accumulation of wins by UK and UF more than likely. And as bad as Wake Forest looked yesterday, I would not be surprised to see Auburn beat them tommorrow.

Joey
Old 03-23-2003, 09:25 PM   #29
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Diceman after singing your praises, now I have to say your backing of the Big 10 is not looking as good now with Purdue, Illinois, Indiana going out in the 2nd round. Wisconsin did pull out a miracle though and MSU looks like they will pull it out as well over Florida....so still in decent shape.

However the Big East is running things in this tourney by going 8-0 so far with all 4 teams in the tourney in the sweet 16. What a crazy scenario it would be if all 4 made the final four....which is very possible with each region containing one Big East team. With the Big East going 8-0 in tourney play, this makes the tournament committee look awful bad for not putting in BC and Seton Hall. Both BC and Seton Hall went 10-6 in conference play and were snubbed by lesser teams.

Joey
Old 03-23-2003, 10:05 PM   #30
RoyalBlue
Rookie Player

Personally, I don't hold much credence to the thought that whatever conference has the best record in the tournament IS the best conference, or any thought along those lines. This isn't football, where each conference's entry in a bowl game has one shot to prove itself. You can make a good case for bowl games records proving who's conference is best (and even that is becoming less of a factor as parity in college football has just about made the difffences between the six major BCS conferences nil). But in the tournament, it's all skewed because a lot of teams play more than one game in the NCAA tourney, and if one of your conference's teams wins it all, there's a 6 and 0 added to the "conference" record. That doesn't mean the ACC was the best conference because Maryland won it all last year. Plus there's too many Podunk States and East Central Western Directional schools in the first round, usually gimmes for the schools that play them(there is the occasional upset though). Then you'd have to factor in the RPI of who's playing who before you decided who has the best conference. Doesn't matter to me if the Big East is 8-0 or any other conference is after the first and second round..