Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-09-2003, 06:45 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Question Jets' Coles Ready For Takeoff?

If this story is accurate, wide receiver Laveranues Coles' days with the Jets could be numbered.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:06 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

he's a good young receiver so he will have an easy time getting a home. whether his demands are met is to be seen
Old 03-09-2003, 01:24 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The Jets would be foolish to lose a young, talented player like Coles, but I see it happening. They do have a couple of other weapons, but their WRs will be hurt a lot by his loss.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:11 PM   #4
RyGuy65
Grizzled Veteran

RyGuy65 is on a distinguished road

Absolutely. Chrebet needs a good wideout to be effective, and Moss isn't it. Moss plays good when people have to worry about Coles and Chrebet. I hope the Jets hold onto him.
NHL- Detroit Red Wings
NCAA Football- Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Army
RyGuy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:29 PM   #5
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

That's what is all about today' money.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:19 PM   #6
MelYeah
Rookie Player

MelYeah is on a distinguished road

It's all posturing by Coles. He's just looking to get paid and he's running to the media to put pressure on the Jets. I'm confident Bradway and Co. will be able to do something to make everyone happy.

That said, I am kind of nervous about this. Coles has truly come into his own and it would be shocking and disappointing for him to be in new threads next year.

Hopefully, the Jets won't mess around and get L. Coles back in the fold.
MelYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:20 AM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

This story allows me to ask the question that's been bugging me throughout this free agency period: What the hell is up with the AFC East? The only team working to actually improve on their finish last year is Buffalo. The Bills finished last in a one-game-difference division. They had an excruciating set of defensive problems, and have addressed them by replacing coaches and signing players, and appear to be prepared to sign more players, big-time players, within the week.

The Jets big move this offseason... uh... Have they signed anyone yet?

The Pats big move this offseason... swap 3rd round picks with the Redskins and sign Rick Lyle, who had ONE tackle playing for the Pats last year. Yeah, that's right. He's the guy who you need to return to the playoffs.

The Dolphins big move this offseason... Sign WR Derrius Thompson. Yes!! That's the one! A third tier receiver to date, would be fortunate to smell Oronde Gadsden's shoes, much less fill them.

Are all of these teams waiting for the draft? Don't they understand that they didn't win anything last season, and all are in need of moves made in at least three positions. No, they don't have to put up HUGE bucks, but they could at least make it look like they intend to compete.

At this rate, the Bills will improve so substantially over last year, that they'll have the division won by week 12. (I have no idea what the schedules look like... I'm obviously hyperbolizing here...)

The Jets HAVE to keep Coles. The coach said he was the team's MVP. If you can't keep your MVP, then either you shouldn't keep your coach, or you don't intend to win. Make no mistake: Coles was the go-to guy for the Jets last year because he had to be Chrebet is old AND overrated; Moss is still developing, and there is no other receiving option for the Jets.

Someone needs to pinch Bradway, make sure he's breathing. And while they're at it, smack Pioli and whoever's running the show in Miami. They're all about to learn why the Steelers were so strong throughout much of the '90s. The reason's name: Tom Donahoe, Buffalo GM.

Dave
Old 03-10-2003, 03:21 AM   #8
Anthony

THIS JUST IN:

Coles to sign Skins' offer
Old 03-10-2003, 10:57 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
THIS JUST IN:

Coles to sign Skins' offer
The 'Skins are on a mad signing spree since Spurrier got there. If Ramsey develops, this could be a good combination, but I say shame on them for releasing Stephen Davis. And if Rob Johnson has to play, Washington isn't going anywhere -- I don't like his game.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:11 AM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Why shame on them for releasing Davis? He's often injured, had a $7million cap number, and was vastly underused in the Spurrier system. When healthy, Davis can carry the ball 30 times a game. Spurrier's face would fall off if he called 30 runs by the same guy in one game.

Releasing Davis, one guy that Spurrier wouldn't use properly, allowed them to buy three of the nine free agents they signed in the first three days, if not more than that. Given the Redskins various and multiple holes, releasing Davis was a great move for the team.

If I had any belief whatsoever that it mattered, and that Spurrier weren't an awful coach with the ability to botch the job no matter the personnel, I'd suggest they were going to make big noises next year. Unfortunately, I think Spurrier's idiotic system and his snubbing his nose at the Rules of the Game will cost the Skins at least four wins this year. Give that they aren't talented overall enough to win more than four or five games on their own, their looking at another losing season.

Dave
Old 03-11-2003, 02:40 PM   #11
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Jet fans here in NY Dave have begun lamenting just what you brought up about the Bills activities and the Jets lack of activity on WFAN almost daily.

Jets have lost possibly there top OLinemen(thomas), there best special teams player(morton) and now maybe Coles?

Its doubtful the draft will heed this type of talent right away ready to play next season.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 04:57 AM   #12
Anthony

A month or so ago I was saying that the Patriots-Jets exacta was cold in the AFC East in '03 - now it looks like I've gotta take that back and say the Patriots-Bills exacta can't lose! (Buffalo had better get a faster wide receiver than Josh Reed to line up opposite Eric Moulds though).

And say this for Daniel Snyder: At least he actually cares whether his team wins or not - unlike the clowns running the show up I-95 in Philadelphia.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:11 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

The Jets refuse to match, Coles is 'Skins property.

My only question is this: it is being reported that the 'Skins are giving up their 1st round draft pick for him, when this shouldn't be the case. He was a third round pick, so compensation to the Jets ought to be in the form of a third round pick. He was a restricted free agent, after all, not a franchise-tagged FA.

Anyone know better? Is ESPN butchering this one?

Dave
Old 03-19-2003, 08:45 PM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

well NYJ made the right choice. Coles isn't worth that much and this is another case of Snyder throwing away money.

Post #1000
Old 03-20-2003, 05:27 AM   #15
Anthony

To answer Dave's question: There are two differences between a "franchise player" and a restricted free agent: One deals with the right for the "old" team to match the offer - in the latter case that right exists, in the former it does not. The other is in the scale of compensation that applies (in both cases based on the average salary per year that the new team agrees to pay the player). For a "franchise" player, it is an automatic, mandatory two first-round picks (like the Redskins got from Carolina when the Panthers signed Sean Gilbert a few years ago); for a restricted free agent, two #1s is the maximum, but it can be as little as a #3 (it can also be a #1 plus a #2, a #1 plus a #3, a #1 only or a #2).

At any rate, where the player himself had been originally drafted has no bearing whatsoever on the compensation; otherwise if someone signed Tom Brady away from New England all the Patriots would be entitled to is a sixth-round pick.