Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 03-21-2003, 05:18 PM   #31
awefullspellare
Guy in Omaha

awefullspellare is on a distinguished road

Creighton killed my bracket too... sometimes its good to go w/big conference teams... sometimes not... this year hasnt been the best year for midmajors...
Old 03-22-2003, 12:23 PM   #32
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, Butler just killed one part of my bracket by beating Mississippi Mistake last night. Damn those mid major schools with their last second shots.

I am still ok though with UConn, Arizona, and UK going to the final four.

Joey
Old 03-22-2003, 02:35 PM   #33
awefullspellare
Guy in Omaha

awefullspellare is on a distinguished road

Uconn plays tanford... what do yall think aobut Stanfords chances?
Old 03-22-2003, 05:44 PM   #34
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Miss. St. killed me! I had them in the Final Four.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 03:53 AM   #35
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

Creighton is the closest thing to wrecking my bracket. LOL I had them going to the sweet16. 5 wrong total so far. NC State, Colorado, Missouri , Dayton, creighton.

Elite 8 teams-
Kentucky
uconn
Xavier
Syracuse
Marquette
Arizona
Duke
Louisville

Louisville is really the only one im worried about. Maryland struggled s Xavier should beat them. UConn crushed Stanford. Kentucky. enough said. Syracuse has the best ollege basketball player in carmello anthony. Marquette #2 in NCAA with Dwayne Wade. Arizona, enough said. Duke, well i guess im worried about them too.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 09:12 PM   #36
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I would not label Carmello Anthony the best player in college basketball diceman. And I also would not say Arizona then to put behind them enough said, for they just about got put out in the 2nd round yesterday. There are no locks for the final four or the elite 8 this season, and that includes UK. I know UK looks invinsible right now, but Pitt has looked much better than I have ever expected.....UK vs. Pitt in the elite 8, if it gets to that game, would be a nice matchup.

Joey
Old 03-23-2003, 11:53 PM   #37
MelYeah
Rookie Player

MelYeah is on a distinguished road

Whew! My Final Four is still alive.

Syracuse
Texas
Kentucky
Kansas

Even though I have SU losing in the semifinals to Texas, I still give the Orange a good shot if they get to New Orleans. But Kentucky is the truth.

Let's Go ORANGE!!

(Oh, and the Big East WAS shafted, but they're 8-0 after the first weekend!)
MelYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:09 AM   #38
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Joey I also think Carmelo Anthony is the best player in the college game and obviously so do the NBA scouts, since it has become obvious whenever he decides to come out, he will be the first player drafted out of the college ranks, which means probably 3rd overall this next draft, wouldnt surprise me if he went #2 either though. In fact I'm not sold that LeBron will be a better player then Carmelo, only seing LeBron against HS kids to hard to gauge.

I will agree with you Joey that Kentucky's biggest roadblock will be PITT. In fact I have PITT in the Final 4 so I obviously have them beating KY..............I like the experienced backcourt and the way they matchup. Plus the only way to win a large pool is to have something not in the majority late or get all the upsets right early. All my elite 8 teams are alive, but with a final 4 of Pitt, 'Zona, Maryland, Syracuse and 'Zona over 'Cuse in final. I could take a huge hit here very soon.

I think KY, Pitt, Zona, Oklahoma and Syracuse will have comfortable wins in the sweet 16, the other games will be struggles.

Joey, in regards to Memphis losing to ASU. I have to wonder how much scouting the coaching staff did in preparing for ASU. They appeared to have no idea what ASU likes to do and they failed to continuosly attack a team(ASU) that is a terrible transition D team. They did not understand that you cant guard Diogu straight up. They guarded Dodd with heavy pressure even though he will never ever shoot the J, often closing out on his jumper even thoguh he is a terrible 3 point shooter, this allowed to step up around the pressure and have easy passing lanes to the players who can score for ASU. They seemed to underestimate that ASU had some other guys like Millage and Redhage who you have to respect. I thought Memphis played like this game was a mere formality. I personally think Memphis was not prepared in this game by there coaches.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 06:26 PM   #39
Panda_Express
Rookie Player

Panda_Express is on a distinguished road

Kentucky - Florida Kentucky
Kentucky - Zona Kentucky
Florida - Syracuse Florida

well so much for Florida now.
Panda_Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:37 PM   #40
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I've been brutal on Pitt, but they continue to play well, although their first two opponents ( Wagner and Indiana) aren't very good anyway. Marquette should be tougher, but I don't think Pitt will stumble there. Since I 've been so hard on Pitt saying they wouldn't get into the Sweet 16, I'll stick with it being tough on them. Look for Kentucky to handle Pitt by about 25 this weekend. I have to be right sooner or later...LOL.

On another note, Anthony from Syracuse is rumored to have a shot a the number one pick in the upcoming draft. I just heard this stuff this past weekend, although he didn't play all that well. Is it true? I don't know. James is good, and this kid from overseas who is suppossed to be number 2 is said to be a solid player as well ( can't think of name, help?)
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:18 PM   #41
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

'78 the overseas kid your talkling about is 17 year old Darko Mlicic(sp?). He is 7-0 245 pound, more of a wing player right now. He is going to get drafted on his potential though rather then what he's showing right now. The other interesting thing is.........he is definitely going high in the draft, because he is not seeing as much time for his team right now in Europe. This happens alot nowadays with young europeans, because some NBA team is paying to not have him seen much in hopes of scaring off a team from drafting him. Whoever has the interest that high, is definitely someone in the lottery. Look for up to 4 european players to go in the first 20 picks or so. A PF from Brazil, Verajo(sp) 20 yrs old, a PF from Greece who is a huge 6-9 285 lbs name is Sofo Schortinaitis(also only 17) or something like that........lol....and this shooter from France also 20 years old, Pietrus(sp) is his last name. They will all go at least in the first round, but some are being hid a bit.

'78 come on.....lol. Pitt is a team made for NCAA post season success. Experienced backcourt, depth and they play nasty D. Its not how pretty you are, because they arent, but guard play wins in the college tourney. I tried to tell Doug during the season Pitt would be here easily, but I guess people dont like teams who are fundamentally sound. I know Ricky was another person who, like me, knew PITT would be a factor. They may lose to KY, but KY wont score enough to blow PITT out, this team is too sound defensively to get waxed.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:33 PM   #42
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I don't think the Dallas Mavericks could beat Pitt by 25. lol This team is very, very good. If Arizona doesn't win this thing, it's because Pitt beat them.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:33 AM   #43
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

Well then Joey, if Anthony isn't the best who is?

my final four is still in tact. Syracuse, Arizona, Kentucky, and UConn. syracuse out of one bracket and arizona in the other with zona winnin it all.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 02:53 PM   #44
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

#47, you are more than right on your assessment of the Memphis vs. ASU matchup. Not only was Memphis not prepared properly, but the team and coaching staff continually talked about and was concerned about the seed that Memphis had rather than their actual first round opponent. Calipari and others really stressed that Memphis should have been a higher seed, but instead of proving the committee wrong and beating teams Memphis just went through the motions and got drilled in the 2nd half of that game.

Massie was abusing Diogu in the first half, then Memphis stopped getting the ball in the post. Not to mention Memphis shot tons of illadvised 3 pointers like they have done all season. But it wasn't so much the offensive game I was concerned about as was the fact that Memphis did not play defense at all. They allowed ASU to shoot over 70 percent in the 2nd half.....that is ummm terrible....and for a team who prided themselves on defense all year I am baffled by that stat. Obviously they were unprepared for ASU, and to tell the truth I knew almost nothing about ASU without having to look up something first. I don't think it really matters, because Memphis overachieved this season and were bound to get beat by better teams like Kansas and Duke in that bracket. It was embarrassing to see the product that was put on the floor in the 1st round for Memphis though.

Joey
Old 03-25-2003, 11:17 PM   #45
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by #47
They may lose to KY, but KY wont score enough to blow PITT out, this team is too sound defensively to get waxed.
This is what kills me about people's perceptions of Kentucky. Just because they are defensive beasts doesn't mean they can't score or are mediocre on offense! :redhot: In fact, if I remember correctly, they were second in the SEC in scoring and are shooting pretty good percentages all year long. This team turns defense into offense, yes, but their offense has been effective all year. Kentucky can play any style of game (half-court, or, surprisingly to some, full-court) and really can score inside or outside.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote