Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-17-2004, 02:14 AM   #1
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough
Default Hudson to the Braves

The A's cut more salary, and the Braves get better again. The Braves give up a very good young pitcher -- Juan Cruz (I've seen this kid and he is a good one), Charles Thomas, and Dan Meyer (another good pitching prospect).
Does this mean that the Braves will be the favorites to win their 14th straight division title?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:29 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I really think moving Smoltz into the rotation will come back to bite Atlanta in the ass. Then again, it's hard to question the moves made by a team that hasn't not won, sans 1994, its division since 1990.

The Phillies, Marlins and Mets should make it a pretty good race but Bobby Cox and the Braves know how to win when it matters. Unless the Phillies or Marlins make a drastic move headed into the season, I see the division going down like this:

1. Atlanta
2. New York
3. Philly
4. Florida
5. Washington/Montreal/Portland/San Juan/New Orleans/Fill-In-City-Here
Old 12-20-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

WOOOO HOOO
Finally John makes a big offseason move for this season. AND FINALLY we have an ace. And smoltzie is moving to the rotation? OH YEAH
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
starsky79
Rookie Player

starsky79 is on a distinguished road

The Braves are my team as well. They look strong and only hope they advance even farther then just divison this year

-bill
starsky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:05 AM   #5
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Congrats to the Braves. You guys are getting an awesome pitcher that I wish I had on my team.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

If Chipper doesn't win the triple crown and Smoltz doesn't win 20 games, this team might collapse. Hudson signing was a great one though, could save the season in part. I think he has tremendous upside potential in the NL
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Revised NL East prediction:

1. Florida
2. Atlanta
3. Philadelphia
4. New York
5. Washington

The Mets still have too many holes. Sure, Martinez and Beltran were big upgrades but the bullpen is extremely shakey and first base is a position of concern. Will Kaz Matsui have a breakthrough season? Will Jose Reyes rebound from an injury plagued season? Will Mike Cameron rebound from somewhat of a down season? One of the returning bright spots is David Wright. I see him having a breakout season in his first full season in the Major Leagues and emerging as one of baseball's elite third basemen. New York and Philly are interchangeable between three and four. I just put the Mets at fourth since I'm a Yankee fan.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
Billy D
Alternative View

Alex picks the Marlins 4th, then 1st. That tells you how wacky this division could be-- almost any order is justifiable, all depends what you choose to pay attention to. Granted, his predictions were a few months apart, but still....

Um, why did I start caring about Hudson again? That's old news. Probably shoulda started a new thread... i'm just lazy
Old 03-03-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I just sit and laugh at the predictions. I may be biased, but year after year, how can you pick against the Braves when they pull it out ever year in the regular season?

If they were going to lose the division, it would have been last year. They're going with the old formula of great pitching and mediocre hitting. It worked for the first 11 division titles, and it'll work this year again. I don't stop picking my Braves until they prove me wrong.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #10
Billy D
Alternative View

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon
If they were going to lose the division, it would have been last year.
Yep, I still don't understand how the Braves won it last year. It's proof that they have some sort of magical supernatural ability and I should give up on ever picking against them until Cox retires. That said, i've got them picked for 3rd (thereby proving i'm an idiot)