Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Steelers 14 73.68%
Seahawks 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #91
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

The Steelers were the first team i can remember that had a dominating playoff series and a poor superbowl performance. The game was lackluster like most have said but I was very surprised that the Steelers just got by on this one.

I am happy for the Steeler fans like I said in an earlier post but I think Seattle beat Seattle instead of Pittsburgh doing the job.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #92
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Player introductions:
This came up yesterday... My roomate loves the Pats, and every year we watch the Superbowl together and when yet another team comes out "introduced as a team" he yells how they are just bandwagoners, and "copied" the Pats. If you recall NE was the 1st team to ever be introduced as a team. They came out in 2001 together after the Rams had their starters intoduced. I'll be honest, yeah it does kind of irratate me when teams do it. Panthers did it in 2003, and I think the Eagles also did it last year. But then I thought, you know - I like the fact teams are starting to do this - it saves time and we go to kickoff sooner. Steelers did it too, but at least they let Betis come out first...
Does anyone else here agree? Or do you miss the individual player introductions?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #93
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I hate that. I hate this Team A beat Team A, not Team B.
Well, that's not what the scoreboard says.

Pittsburgh was the superior team even though they played most of the game in some flattened emotional fog and Ben was still feeling overwhelmed by the magnitude of the game on the bus ride home. Had the Steelers really shown up, the final is something like 44-3 or 51-14.

The Seahawks played alright, and still only managed ten points against a team not playing its best game. (Seattle had a hand in some of that, but come on. Ben completes some of his early passes and the Steelers move the ball, game over in the early second quarter. Period.)

Somewhere (can't remember whether is was Mike & Mike or local shiesters) someone noted that Tom Rouen did the Seahawks no favors by punting into the end zone four of four times with opportunities to pin the Steelers really deep. Couldn't agree more on that. Could have really changed the way the game went. Then again, it may have had no effect. Who knows. Still, Rouen didn't do his team any favors at all.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #94
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Good point about Rouen. I just thought it was a sloppy SB. Steelers really just had 3 plays... the 3rd down that led to the controversial TD, the 75 Parker run, and the Randle El trick play. Seattle had nice drives and moved the ball, but then they'd get some penalty destroying that drive. Not to mention a couple missed FG's from a guy that was $$ all year. Add all that up and you get a 21-10 game.
I think it was just dissapointing to watch a team win on the road and play that bad in the SB. Same for the #1 NFC team. I expected more from both teams.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #95
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

1) If the Seahawks don't commit penalties and the little mistakes then they win the SB. There little penalties like the D-jack (i think it was D-jack) push off in the endzone wasn't needed. The Steelers were flat as could be when the game started. I didn't know the stat but Alexander had 93 / 95 yards rushing in the game and he barely touched the ball in the second half. The Steelers couldn't stop him but Seattle got down and started firing the ball all over the field and gave up on the run.

2) Seattle's clock management was also terrible. I'm surprised no one else mentioned that yet. It took 20 seconds off the clock after they had a great run with Shaun and they couldn't get situated in time and tried to settle for a 50 + field goal. When they could have gotten Brown closer OR possibly had a TD to be up 10-7 at break.

3) The bad punting by Tom Rouen is not the Steelers fault, it is Tom's fault. He didn't give his team any chance to down the punts inside the 10 because he booted them into the endzone every time.

4) Lets face it, this was not one of Mike Holmgren's greatest games coaching

I give credit to the Steelers on two plays the whole game: The El to Ward TD and Parker's 75 + run. In those cases, the Steelers topped Seattle but there is just too many factors that hurt Seattle.

MD, you made the comment that if the real Steelers would have showed up then the score would have been 51-14? I can say the same thing about if the real Seattle team shows up then they would have routed the Steeler team that showed up last night.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #96
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

How about Josh Brown missing 2 early field goals? If he makes those, Jeremy Stevens touchdown makes it 16-14 Seattle.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #97
boston_aloha
FFB #2

He never should of had to try the one before the half... that was horrible, horrible clock managment by Seattle... and they still left a TO on the table!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #98
Theone192021
Rookie Player

Theone192021 is on a distinguished road
Default Worst calls in a game ever.

This game reminded me of game 7 of sacramento and the lakers to see who goes to obviously beat the nets and the lakers got the weakest calls ever. And this game was hand fed to the steelers and the fact that it was close proves that the steelers didnt deserve to win it.

1) Seahawks touchdown gets reversed because tapped the defender ive never seen such a weak touch called offensive pass interference.

2) Big Ben's TD should not of gone through even the Sports Center hosts agree about that call. And when they went to review they said the call on the field stands. When they infact should of said there is inconclusive evidence so we cannot change the play. There was no doubt in the refs mind that they were gonna let the steelers get a field goal.

3) The touchdown pass from hasselback and the guy kicked the marker in the endzone same thing happened with vick but vick got the TD what a shock that the seahawks got jewed.

4) The horse coller on Shawn Alexander must of never happened and now its legal I guess. I mean give me a break.

5) The 2 holdings penaltys against the seahawks whenever they returned a punt or a kickoff to the 50 or 40 and they wound up at the 15. How could a team win with these bull**** calls?

6) Last but not least just to show us the refs were on the steelers side after the into hasselback jumps to tackle the man who intercepted the ball and hasselback gets charged with a penalty for illegal takeling or some crap.

Let me just say wow at the worst superbowl ever. And im a steelers fan but they didnt win it by themselves they had some extra help. Every time I watch a superbowl it turns into crap the refs handed the steelers the game obviously because it was supposedly a cinderella story with the bus winning his superbowl on his last season just like John Elway.
Theone192021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #99
boston_aloha
FFB #2

^ #6. Yeah, that was total garbage. They called hasselback on that tackle. Ben did the same thing when he blocked for the Randle El to Ward play... same exact thing!! And he was blocking. Hasselback was making a tackle!! I really didn't understand that.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #100
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Theone:

1- I agree. It was a chinsy call. But, he still made contact, he still pushed off. Unfortunate to call it in that spot, but it didn't cost the Seahawks the game, as whiny studio personalities and writers (one of whom I deeply respect) would have you believe. Plenty of opportunity to come back from that.

2- Semantics. Play stands. No evidence for overturning. Doesn't matter how he says it, unless he opts to explain why the play was a touchdown. We don't know precisely the ruling on the field (why the line judge called it a TD), so we don't know precisely what Leavy was looking for evidence to overturn. As I noted earlier, the ruling by the line judge could have been fumble, recovered in the end zone. I don't think the replay bears out that ruling, but it coulda been, and I don't think there's evidence to overrule that, either.

But, again. Life goes on. Sort of. Holmgren and the 'Hawks got so overwrought by the play that they completely s*** the bed in the final 1:49. Some of the worst clock management I've ever seen. And Mike Martz wasn't even involved. If anything, that stretch, combined with the first thirty-five seconds of the second half, killed the Seahawks chances.

And yet, life goes on. They can overcome. Down four. Moving the ball. Simply needing to finish a drive.

3- I don't know what you and Al Michaels were looking at on this play. Really. Watch the replay. Here's the sequence:
Ball in hands.
Left foot down in play.
Right foot down OUT OF BOUNDS.
Left foot steps over the pylon.

END OF STORY. It wasn't even close. Maybe the first time I ever heard Madden correct Michaels in a voice that resembled disbelieving admonishment. Michaels is supposed to be better than that, but he was clearly too drunk to see clearly at this point.
This is the National Football League. That second foot is what separates Saturdays from Sundays.

4- Agreed. You can quiz my wife. I shook my head and said, "That should have been a penalty. Except no one knows the exact situation in which to call a horse collar. No one. Not the players. Not the refs. Not me." The horse collar rule needs to be reviewed and probably eliminated. It doesn't get called correctly. Ever. That's what happens when you introduce a rule based on a single play (Roy Williams tackle of TO late last season).

5- Come on. Holding, blocks in the back, etc. These get called all the time. The Steelers would have gotten such a call, too, had Rouen ever given them a ball to return. But, instead, he was pounding it into the end zone.

6- That was also a bizarre call that on third viewing, I realized shouldn't have been called. On the first glance, I didn't really notice it. Second shot, I thought I saw him miss the ball carrier and hit the trailing blocker below the knees, which is illegal. Just ask Tom Brady. (I think he was called for this offense twice this year.) Final viewing, he actually connects with the ball carrier, which is legal, and misses the trailing tackler. Bad call. An error. Didn't really change the game that wildly, imo.

Let's get back to brass tacks, though, shall we? The Steelers had completely taken the momentum of the game with Willie Parker's run to daylight. The 'Hawks punted, gave the Steelers decent field position, and then proceeded to march in beautiful Steelers fashion down the field. A little overcoaching, a bad, bad, BAD throw by Roethlisberger, and the 'Hawks are still alive. Roethlisbergers lifts that ball "over," like he said his brain wanted (but his arm disobeyed), and you've got yourself a 21-3 game with eight minutes to go in the 3rd.

I might have exaggerated with the 41-3 projection, but I'm sure the meaning is clear.

Let me also make this clear, in case it got missed earlier in the thread: I totally, completely, fully disrespected the Seahawks coming into this game. I didn't believe that there was anything that they could do in order to score points. Alexander got the quietest 95 yards in Super Bowl history. Stevens proved that while his body might be soft, his hands sure as hell ARE NOT. The only guy coming out of this game from the Pacific Northwest who showed me anything was Hasselbeck. And he still made that crucial mistake to which all Boston College QBs are prone to making at back-breaking times. (Yes, even the imitable über-hero Doug Flutie would have lost this game on that very throw, or one very much like it.) Proving to me that I still know a thing or two about which QBs on which to count when the eggs are about to hatch, and which ones are going to get excited and sit on them too hard too soon.

Roethlisberger had a bad game. But, when the clock came to crunch time, he was mistake-free. (You'll say they took the ball out of his hands, but I seem to recall a bootleg--Madden called it a broken play, but it was a bootleg, I believe, on which he gained what was essentially the game-icing first down. Doug Flutie fumbles that ball. Hasselbeck tried to fumble the game away earlier. It's all about stones. Ben's got 'em, in spades. Matthew... has more than I thought, but about as much as any BC QB would.)
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #101
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
A little overcoaching, a bad, bad, BAD throw by Roethlisberger, and the 'Hawks are still alive. Roethlisbergers lifts that ball "over," like he said his brain wanted (but his arm disobeyed), and you've got yourself a 21-3 game with eight minutes to go in the 3rd.
I know! Ben throws that ball one or two feet higher and Cedric Wilson is wide open in the endzone. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #102
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

My observations...

1. Coin Toss: I thought the Seahawks dug a hole right away with electing to receive. Steeler D is better than Steeler O. Ben is young. Hasselback (while no Elway or Montana when it comes to experience) would have handled the pressure better than Ben if he was the first qb to get his feet wet. Sure enough, Ben played like sh** in the first quarter (entire Steeler O did in fact). If you're Seattle... kick to start and Ben makes a bad decision....7-0...you're up... with only a few minutes in. Holmgren blew it there.

2. Ben's TD:How does a line judge run onto the field with all the "body language" of getting ready to mark a ball and then decide to call it a TD when IF it was a td, the ball crossed the line in the air, NOT on the ground?

3. Pylon Play: Not a catch. Clearly an incomplete pass. Good call.

4.Offensive Pass Interference on Seattle: Good call. Just like in basketball, once you extend that elbow out, you're getting the flag/whistle. Do I like the rule? No, of course not. Then again, this is why the NFL is more like wrestling than football with the advent of these rules ( post 1978 really).

5. The Holding Call erasing Seattle's first and goal: BOGUS. First, it wasn't holding by definition. Secondly, it wasn't holding by "the way the game was being called" (if you want to include that garbage). People are getting pancaked on stretch plays and misdirections constantly and they let that go a ton.

Final Analysis:

Bad game played by two medicore teams (Super Bowl level mind you). Seattle is soft. Hasselback is pretty decent if you ask me. Fast, good decisions (except that pick). Seattle got jobbed on the majority of the calls, but played very badly with clock managament and on special teams. I think for the most part, Seattle dominated most of the game, but Pittsburgh made more big plays. Still, I'd feel it was a tainted win if I were a Steeler fan because the calls definitely impacted the result of the game (just like against the Oilers in the 1979 AFC Championship Game with another "hesitation" call).
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #103
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
Alexander got the quietest 95 yards in Super Bowl history.

Roethlisberger had a bad game. But, when the clock came to crunch time, he was mistake-free. (You'll say they took the ball out of his hands, but I seem to recall a bootleg--Madden called it a broken play, but it was a bootleg, I believe, on which he gained what was essentially the game-icing first down. Doug Flutie fumbles that ball. Hasselbeck tried to fumble the game away earlier. It's all about stones. Ben's got 'em, in spades. Matthew... has more than I thought, but about as much as any BC QB would.)
Regarding Alexander's yards... You said it! I had the over (85.5) on his yards and I had no clue, no clue how many he had w/ 1:00 left to play in the game.
Regarding Roethlisberger: I don't think its fair to say Ben has the "stones" when he sucked all game and then made a 1st down on a 3rd & 6 when their up 11 points. If you wanna say he has stones, ok, argue that he won 3 games on the road - but please do not use the that game. He was horrible. Period.
And Flutie would not of fumbled that ball.
EDIT: Refs are really starten to get slammed now.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5310192
Quote:
The Steelers did not deserve to win this game. They were not the better team. Seattle was the better team.
So, Paul Tagliabue, how does a team lose when it outgains an opponent by 57 yards, controls time of possession and wins the turnover battle?
Quote:
The Steelers took quick advantage of their enhanced field position and just like that it was 21-10 Pittsburgh when it should have been 17-14 Seattle.
But the stripes weren't done.
First, they blew a fumble call on the field — of course against Seattle — before overturning it after replay. Then, with the Steelers trying to run out the clock, Leavy granted Roethlisberger a timeout, even though the play clock clearly read zero before the quarterback signaled for time. It ended up being the final bad call in Seattle's coffin.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 02-06-2006 at 06:22 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #104
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Hey Fellas, ...been a while since I've posted, I bought another house on 2.5 acres, so I have been busy!

Anyhow, I hear some say the Seahawks beat themselves, and that is true to a point, but the Steelers did have 15 players on the field, and that includes the zebras, BAD CALLS! I think we will see more in the media as for the truth in the next day or so?

Great to be back!

Last edited by Marc; 02-07-2006 at 05:26 PM.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #105
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I agree the officiating was abysmal for a Super Bowl game. I really hope the NFL looks at how piss poor the officiating was in the post season this year. They need to either hire referees full time or they need to start handing out repercussions for the bad calls.

theone, there is a difference between Vick's TD and the play with Darrel Jackson. Jackson did not get two feet in bound before kicking the pylon. Jackson got one foot down then his other foot kicked the pylon and landed out of bounds. Vick's was on a running play so the dynamic was different. If I am not mistaken the goaline runs forever on an imaginary plane so as long as you launch your body from in bounds and cross the plane before landing out of bounds then it is considered a TD.

I pretty much agree with everything buckeye says here.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote