Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > Site Feedback

Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default What can we (the members) do to make SC a better place?

What are some things that you believe would make SC a better message board?

A few ideas...

1. Say "hi" to new posters. When you come across a new poster, whether it be in an existing thread or in a thread where they introduce their prescence, saying "hi" tells new people that this is a friendly place.

2. Start new threads. Being more active in starting new threads is a way to "give back" IMO.

3. Ask for opinions...don't just give your own. By asking for opinion you engage the other members and show that you value their thoughts/ideas.

4. Post what you know. Understand what you know and don't know in regards to sports/other topics. If you are going to post strongly on a position be aware that others with extensive knowledge may ask you to clarify your view.

5. Judge the context of threads carefully. Everyone is guilty of a hijack or misreading the mood of a poster from time to time in a particular thread. With that in mind...try to judge the thread's "feel" before you post.

Just 5 things off the top of my head right now that I feel are helpful hints to make SC a better place.

Any ideas/suggestions guys?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post

Yeah shut up.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Yeah shut up.
Hey, hey mush - Buckeye is actually being serious this time

I have another idea:

Don't dismiss others' opinions as "asinine", "uninformed", or "dumb". You make more friends that way:thumbup:
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
themush
Banned

6. Don't post anything anti-SEC?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

A few ideas...

1. Say "hi" to new posters. When you come across a new poster, whether it be in an existing thread or in a thread where they introduce their prescence, saying "hi" tells new people that this is a friendly place.

2. Start new threads. Being more active in starting new threads is a way to "give back" IMO.

3. Ask for opinions...don't just give your own. By asking for opinion you engage the other members and show that you value their thoughts/ideas.

4. Post what you know. Understand what you know and don't know in regards to sports/other topics. If you are going to post strongly on a position be aware that others with extensive knowledge may ask you to clarify your view.

5. Judge the context of threads carefully. Everyone is guilty of a hijack or misreading the mood of a poster from time to time in a particular thread. With that in mind...try to judge the thread's "feel" before you post.

Just 5 things off the top of my head right now that I feel are helpful hints to make SC a better place.

Excellent post/ideas, Buck...

I'll be curious to see how many respond either with agreement/disagreement/ideas.....

Oh, one more thing:

6. Elect Tarkus SCMB Treasurer & Collector of Dues....
Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Well after getting the naked chicks, I'd say I think it would be cool to get a SC fantasy Football league this fall. What you say guy's and guyettes?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
themush
Banned

Dano, we do have a FFL check this out.

FFL
Old 07-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I'd say that's a biggie. We are all guily of taking threads in completely opposite directions than what the original post was intended to do. In some cases it isn't that bad, but sometimes you have to read through pages of clutter to get 10 posts that relate to the actual topic. As far as fixing it, I dunno if there is a solution, other than policing ourselves.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

A few ideas...

Ellis?

But good post and good points, buck.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
I'd say that's a biggie. We are all guily of taking threads in completely opposite directions than what the original post was intended to do. In some cases it isn't that bad, but sometimes you have to read through pages of clutter to get 10 posts that relate to the actual topic. As far as fixing it, I dunno if there is a solution, other than policing ourselves.
Policing ourselves is a good idea. I'm guilty of it though at times I simply post off topic cuz the thread is dying or already dead.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
themush
Banned

So how about that Lohan girl getting arrested?:lol:
Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Really good thread, guys ... thanks. :thumbup:

Maybe we could start a campaign to see if we can bring back old posters. Plenty of good ones have fallen through the cracks.

I guess if you had an admin who was an expert on all topics and here 24/7 that would help, but I've gotten a life lately, so I'll do my best... :lol:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Good idea Marc.

I haven't been here that long, but I've seen a few "slip through the cracks." I think that is just the nature of message boards. I know that over at OTF, we have lost a few as well. With this many "strangers" you never know what is going to happen. Some may pass away, get sick, or have other personal issues. Others may find other boards that they enjoy more. Others may just get sick of it.

Either way, we should try to bring those members back. As much as I love this place, it does lack activity at times. I could certainly talk to some of the guys at OTF. They are very loyal, but I'm sure I can get them over here to contribute.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Get some of the old guys back. Heathan isn't around much anymore, Nate, KB, Dave, just to name a few.

BTW Maec, is the "Vegas Dave" our Dave?
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Really good thread, guys ... thanks. :thumbup:

Maybe we could start a campaign to see if we can bring back old posters. Plenty of good ones have fallen through the cracks.

I guess if you had an admin who was an expert on all topics and here 24/7 that would help, but I've gotten a life lately, so I'll do my best... :lol:
How do we start a campaign to get old members back?

What are some things both we the members and you (as owner) can do to attract new members?

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 07-30-2007 at 07:01 PM.