Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Silver Dragon
Dragon Master

Silver Dragon is on a distinguished road
Default Silver Dragon's "Picks For Kicks" Preseason Week 1

Football season is upon us again and it’s time to start thinking of who’s better than whom. Although pre-season games don’t count toward anyone’s records and the starters will only play a fraction of the plays, I thought it would be fun to get a jump start on the season with some “Just of Kicks Picks!” Call it a test drive on the season if you will, but I just simply could not wait any longer for football to get under way. So, in the name of a good time, enjoy a few pre-season picks.

ALL TIMES ARE EASTERN TIME
Thursday, Aug. 9th

Cincinnati Bengals at Detroit Lions (7:30 PM)
I can’t seem to get over Jon Kitna promising 10+ wins on the season this year. It seems like a long shot bet for even the most risky gamblers. However, if he were counting pre-season wins…why not?
Kitna and the Lions get one win closer to ten over the Bengals

Indianapolis Colts at Dallas Cowboys (8:00 PM)
Peyton Manning and the Colts still have a game plan, most of their starters and the same coach. Dallas on the other hand will be taking the field for the first time under Wade Phillips. Phillips will try some new schemes, test out his new players, and probably make several mistakes in the process.
Colts take the win in Texas Stadium

Friday, Aug. 10th

Atlanta Falcons at N.Y. Jets (7:00 PM)
Poor Bobby Petrino, without Michael Vick behind center, Petrino is going to need to reconstruct his entire offense. The Jets on the other hand will be looking to improve on last year.
J. E. T. S., Jets, Jets, Jets!!! (I’m not a Jet fan, but I just love doing that)

New England Patriots at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7:30 PM)
I don’t think we’ll see much of Tom Brady after the first quarter. I also expect to see improvement in the Buccaneers this year. So, even though I wouldn’t pick them to win this game in the regular season…why not here.
Buccaneers squeak off a win at home

Buffalo Bills at New Orleans Saints (8:00 PM)
I’m looking forward to another tremendous season from Drew Brees and the Saints. I think we’ll see bigger and better things from Reggie Bush and another notable year from Marques Colston. So I’m giving the victory in the Superdome to the home team.
Saints march it in at home

St. Louis Rams at Minnesota Vikings (8:00 PM)
My expectations would give the Rams this game during the regular season. However, given that the game is in the Metrodome and we’ll probably see the 2nd, 3rd, and practice team on the field…
Vikings defend their home turf

Saturday, Aug. 11th

Green Bay Packers at Pittsburgh Steelers (7:30 PM)
After the Steelers put away the Saints in the Hall of Fame Game, why wouldn’t they put away Brett Favre and the Packers? Favre has spent a lot of time in training this off season with a personal trainer. Expect him to be fit and ready for the season, but sidelined in this game to give his backup some play time.
Steelers win at home

Jacksonville Jaguars at Miami Dolphins (7:30 PM)
North Florida or South Florida? A match up from the sunshine state, but the sun can only shine on one team in this game. I believe that Cam Cameron just might be the coach that Miami has been looking for, but we are talking about his very first game as coach, and pre-season at that.
Jaguars steal the sunshine from South Florida

Kansas City Chiefs at Cleveland Browns (7:30 PM)
I don’t believe the Browns have what it takes to be a competitor this year, but I’ve never been a fan of the Chiefs. Since this is the pre-season, I’ll take this opportunity to pick against them when the Browns have their best chance.
Browns defeat the Chiefs

Carolina Panthers at N.Y. Giants (8:00 PM)
The Giants have talent, the players are there. But after watching Tom Coughlins inability to control and run his team last year, we’ll probably be seeing another shaky year of ups and downs.
Panthers pounce the Giants

Chicago Bears at Houston Texans (8:00 PM)
Even in the pre-season I don’t see the Texans being able to defeat the Bears.
Bears devour the Texans

Washington Redskins at Tennessee Titans (8:00 PM)
Joe Gibbs just hasn’t been able to get the Redskins together as he did in the past. Count injuries to Santana Moss and Clinton Portis and the ‘skins already seem off to a questionable start.
Titans prevail over their home field

Arizona Cardinals at Oakland Raiders (10:00 PM)
The Cardinals have been a cursed franchise and the Raiders have just been down right awful. Arizona should be able to win this game, but you can flip a coin.
Arizona takes the win

Sunday, Aug 12th

Seattle Seahawks at San Diego Chargers (8:00 PM)
It’s a shame we won’t be seeing this game during the regular season. Shaun Alexander against LaDainian Tomlinson could have proven to be a great match between running backs. Instead we’ll have to settle for each back taking a couple of carries before spending the rest of the evening smiling and laughing on the sideline.
Seahawks win in a close game

Monday, Aug. 13th

Philadelphia Eagles at Baltimore Ravens (7:00 PM)
Another match up that should have been scheduled for the regular season. A healthy Donovan McNabb against the strong Ravens defense can make for a hard fought game.
Ravens defend their win

Denver Broncos at San Francisco 49ers (8:00 PM)
This may be the first preseason game for the Broncos this year, but I have a feeling there may be a greater will to win in Denver after the 49ers closed the door on their playoff hopes last year. First team, second team, third team doesn’t matter, they all want the “W.”
Broncos win this one on the road

And that concludes the picks for Pre-Week 1. The Hall of Fame Game has been played and week 1 of the pre-season will be underway this Thursday. The 07-08 football season has officially begun. So let’s get ready for some Football!!!
Silver Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'd like to see that Indy-Dallas game even though most the regulars won't play for long.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
NickFeely
Sports Enthusiast

NickFeely is on a distinguished road

How you not even going to mention the Bills in that preview? Saints, Saints, Saints. That's all I ever hear...

Just Kidding. No love for the Bills though, and I think the Saints are going to drop off a touch this year. Still a playoff team, but Colston will show a sophy slump.
NickFeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I think my picks for preseason games would involve a highly refined series of coin tosses...maybe I should do that for the regular season games too!
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Silver Dragon
Dragon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFeely View Post
How you not even going to mention the Bills in that preview? Saints, Saints, Saints. That's all I ever hear...

Just Kidding. No love for the Bills though, and I think the Saints are going to drop off a touch this year. Still a playoff team, but Colston will show a sophy slump.
That's because the last winning season they had was in 2004 when they went 9-7 and finished 3rd in their division. After that you have to go back to 1999 to find a year above .500.
Colston may show a slight slump, but I don't expect him to have a bad year. Barring any injuries, he should continue to perform well.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Silver Dragon
Dragon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I think my picks for preseason games would involve a highly refined series of coin tosses...maybe I should do that for the regular season games too!
Hey, it'll give ya a 50/50 shot at the right pick. :thumbsup2:
Old 08-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
NickFeely
Sports Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Dragon View Post
That's because the last winning season they had was in 2004 when they went 9-7 and finished 3rd in their division. After that you have to go back to 1999 to find a year above .500.
Colston may show a slight slump, but I don't expect him to have a bad year. Barring any injuries, he should continue to perform well.
All that is true, I don't even know why I like them anymore (sarcasm).

But seriously, they have been a poor franchise lately, but I'm still holding out some hope for a wild card run this year.

As for Colston, he definitely has the tools to be a stud reciever in this league, especially if Reggie keeps opening things up for him and Brees keeps giving him the ball. But some people have Colston as a top five receiver this season, and I just need to see more from a seventh round pick before I give him that label.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Football season is upon us again and it’s time to start thinking of who’s better than whom. Although pre-season games don’t count toward anyone’s records and the starters will only play a fraction of the plays, I thought it would be fun to get a jump start on the season with some “Just of Kicks Picks!” Call it a test drive on the season if you will, but I just simply could not wait any longer for football to get under way. So, in the name of a good time, enjoy a few pre-season picks.

ALL TIMES ARE EASTERN TIME
Thursday, Aug. 9th

Cincinnati Bengals at Detroit Lions (7:30 PM)
I can’t seem to get over Jon Kitna promising 10+ wins on the season this year. It seems like a long shot bet for even the most risky gamblers. However, if he were counting pre-season wins…why not?
Kitna and the Lions get one win closer to ten over the Bengals

Indianapolis Colts at Dallas Cowboys (8:00 PM)
Peyton Manning and the Colts still have a game plan, most of their starters and the same coach. Dallas on the other hand will be taking the field for the first time under Wade Phillips. Phillips will try some new schemes, test out his new players, and probably make several mistakes in the process.
Colts take the win in Texas Stadium

Friday, Aug. 10th

Atlanta Falcons at N.Y. Jets (7:00 PM)
Poor Bobby Petrino, without Michael Vick behind center, Petrino is going to need to reconstruct his entire offense. The Jets on the other hand will be looking to improve on last year.
J. E. T. S., Jets, Jets, Jets!!! (I’m not a Jet fan, but I just love doing that)

New England Patriots at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7:30 PM)
I don’t think we’ll see much of Tom Brady after the first quarter. I also expect to see improvement in the Buccaneers this year. So, even though I wouldn’t pick them to win this game in the regular season…why not here.
Buccaneers squeak off a win at home

Buffalo Bills at New Orleans Saints (8:00 PM)
I’m looking forward to another tremendous season from Drew Brees and the Saints. I think we’ll see bigger and better things from Reggie Bush and another notable year from Marques Colston. So I’m giving the victory in the Superdome to the home team.
Saints march it in at home

St. Louis Rams at Minnesota Vikings (8:00 PM)
My expectations would give the Rams this game during the regular season. However, given that the game is in the Metrodome and we’ll probably see the 2nd, 3rd, and practice team on the field…
Vikings defend their home turf

Saturday, Aug. 11th

Green Bay Packers at Pittsburgh Steelers (7:30 PM)
After the Steelers put away the Saints in the Hall of Fame Game, why wouldn’t they put away Brett Favre and the Packers? Favre has spent a lot of time in training this off season with a personal trainer. Expect him to be fit and ready for the season, but sidelined in this game to give his backup some play time.
Steelers win at home

Jacksonville Jaguars at Miami Dolphins (7:30 PM)
North Florida or South Florida? A match up from the sunshine state, but the sun can only shine on one team in this game. I believe that Cam Cameron just might be the coach that Miami has been looking for, but we are talking about his very first game as coach, and pre-season at that.
Jaguars steal the sunshine from South Florida

Kansas City Chiefs at Cleveland Browns (7:30 PM)
I don’t believe the Browns have what it takes to be a competitor this year, but I’ve never been a fan of the Chiefs. Since this is the pre-season, I’ll take this opportunity to pick against them when the Browns have their best chance.
Browns defeat the Chiefs

Carolina Panthers at N.Y. Giants (8:00 PM)
The Giants have talent, the players are there. But after watching Tom Coughlins inability to control and run his team last year, we’ll probably be seeing another shaky year of ups and downs.
Panthers pounce the Giants

Chicago Bears at Houston Texans (8:00 PM)
Even in the pre-season I don’t see the Texans being able to defeat the Bears.
Bears devour the Texans

Washington Redskins at Tennessee Titans (8:00 PM)
Joe Gibbs just hasn’t been able to get the Redskins together as he did in the past. Count injuries to Santana Moss and Clinton Portis and the ‘skins already seem off to a questionable start.
Titans prevail over their home field

Arizona Cardinals at Oakland Raiders (10:00 PM)
The Cardinals have been a cursed franchise and the Raiders have just been down right awful. Arizona should be able to win this game, but you can flip a coin.
Arizona takes the win

Sunday, Aug 12th

Seattle Seahawks at San Diego Chargers (8:00 PM)
It’s a shame we won’t be seeing this game during the regular season. Shaun Alexander against LaDainian Tomlinson could have proven to be a great match between running backs. Instead we’ll have to settle for each back taking a couple of carries before spending the rest of the evening smiling and laughing on the sideline.
Seahawks win in a close game

Monday, Aug. 13th

Philadelphia Eagles at Baltimore Ravens (7:00 PM)
Another match up that should have been scheduled for the regular season. A healthy Donovan McNabb against the strong Ravens defense can make for a hard fought game.
Ravens defend their win

Denver Broncos at San Francisco 49ers (8:00 PM)
This may be the first preseason game for the Broncos this year, but I have a feeling there may be a greater will to win in Denver after the 49ers closed the door on their playoff hopes last year. First team, second team, third team doesn’t matter, they all want the “W.”
Broncos win this one on the road

And that concludes the picks for Pre-Week 1. The Hall of Fame Game has been played and week 1 of the pre-season will be underway this Thursday. The 07-08 football season has officially begun. So let’s get ready for some Football!!!
RED=WOW! Ballsy call
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
Silver Dragon
Dragon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFeely View Post
All that is true, I don't even know why I like them anymore (sarcasm).

But seriously, they have been a poor franchise lately, but I'm still holding out some hope for a wild card run this year.
That's because as fans we are FANatics!!! A true fan loves his team even during their worst years, we can't help ourselves. We root for a Super Bowl all year long and then call it a rebuilding year when we fall short. :lol:
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Silver Dragon
Dragon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
RED=WOW! Ballsy call
Thanks...I think? I would hardly call anything Ballsy during pre season.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
NickFeely
Sports Enthusiast

Quote:
We root for a Super Bowl all year long and then call it a rebuilding year when we fall short. :lol:
The Bills have been rebuilding for 50 years.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

While I don't put much stock in the final scores of these exhibition games, the point spreads on them can be revealing:

Both the Packers and the Steelers finished 8-8 a year ago - yet Pittsburgh, playing Green Bay at home this week, opened as a 6-point favorite, which is a lot of wood to lay in a preseason game. Hmmmmm.

Another line that jumps off the page is Dallas, a 9-7, first-round playoff casuality in 2006, opening as a 4 1/2-point favorite (albeit at home) over the Super Bowl champion Colts.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #13
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I know there's a method that the bookmakers go through to make these lines, but how in the heck could you do it for a preseason game? Is it pretty much saying that Vegas thinks Pittsburgh's 2nd/3rd/4th string is better that Green Bay's 2nd/3rd/4th string?
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
Silver Dragon
Dragon Master

What I can't figure out, is why anyone would place a bet ATS on a preseason game. There's a gambling problem.

Anthony, I have to agree that point spreads can give a hint to some possible inside information. But they can also be deceiving. Even bookmakers aren't perfect and pick a favorite that ultimately loses in the end.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:07 AM   #15
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Which is why it is best to watch two or three weeks' worth of lines - so you can get a better feel as to whether an "out-of-whack" line is meant as a vote of confidence for the overpriced team or a thumbs-down at the underpriced one.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote