Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 09-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Surgery for Oden, cause for concern?

Quote:
Pain in right knee leads to surgery for Blazers' Oden

Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Trail Blazers center Greg Oden, the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, will undergo exploratory arthroscopic surgery this week because of pain in his right knee.

An MRI taken last week showed Oden may have some cartilage problems, general manager Kevin Pritchard said Monday.

A timetable for Oden's return will be set following the surgery, which will take place Thursday in Vancouver, Wash. The Trail Blazers open training camp in three weeks and the regular season starts Oct. 30.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3013565

Is Greg Oden injury-prone? He was injured at OSU, too. The Blazers have a history of injury-prone big men in Bill Walton and Sam Bowie.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3017538

Done for the year. Microfracture surgery.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Portland is a very young and very limited ballclub that is now incredibly weak in the paint, thanks to the loss of Greg Oden. I can't think of any team in the league that is going to have too many problems matching up against LaMarcus Aldridge and Travis Outlaw.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

How in the hell do you draft a guy No. 1. without knowing about this? It boggles my mind.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Blessing in desquise for the Blazers. They will be back in the lottery and will have one of the top 3 picks and should use it on Mike Beasley. Can you imagine a starting line-up of Jack, Roy, Beasley, Aldridge, and Oden? That would turn into a force in this league.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
ugland1
Rookie Player

ugland1 is on a distinguished road

Greg Oden is just another victim of the curse of the Blazers....

Last edited by Marc; 09-17-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: no self-promotion
ugland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
How in the hell do you draft a guy No. 1. without knowing about this? It boggles my mind.
They could not have at the time his knees checked out fine leading up to the draft. He graded out as the best big man in the draft on all of the pre-draft workout tests in Chicago. If his knees were bothering him then I doubt he would have scored as well as he did on the physical tests they put those guys through.

It just recently came up a couple of weeks ago where he says he was working out and felt a twinge in his knee. All of the tests showed it was probably nothing serious and then when they went in to the exploratory surgery they found a lot more than they bargained for.

Not entirely sure why everyone is burying the Blazers already. They dumped Zach Randolph who was a lockerroom distraction and picked up Channing Frye is going to be so much more better playing in the West where athleticism succeeds more than it does in the plodding East. I think McRoberts may surprise some folks. Guys with his athletic ability tend to do well in the West as well.

It is not like the Blazers were one of the two or three worst teams in the league to begin with and I think Brandon Roy is going to be one of those guys who just makes everyone around him a better player. They were something 7th or 8th going into the lottery and lucked into the number one spot.

I don't know that they will get markedly better without Oden out there but nor do I think they are going to sink to the very bottom of the league.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Not entirely sure why everyone is burying the Blazers already. They dumped Zach Randolph who was a lockerroom distraction and picked up Channing Frye is going to be so much more better playing in the West where athleticism succeeds more than it does in the plodding East. I think McRoberts may surprise some folks. Guys with his athletic ability tend to do well in the West as well.

It is not like the Blazers were one of the two or three worst teams in the league to begin with and I think Brandon Roy is going to be one of those guys who just makes everyone around him a better player. They were something 7th or 8th going into the lottery and lucked into the number one spot.

I don't know that they will get markedly better without Oden out there but nor do I think they are going to sink to the very bottom of the league.
I don't think Portland will automatically sink to the bottom of the league, but they do look like a mediocre 2006 collegiate All-Star team that is going to have to scrap for the majority of their wins in the NBA.

While Channing Frye has the potential to be a decent player, he is nowhere near being ready to replace a veteran like Zach Randolph. Regardless of how much of a distraction Randolph may have been, he did give the Blazers 25 points and 10 rebounds every night, which Frye won't be able to replicate.

But I do think Portland is a couple of years away from being a solid ballclub, as long as they continue to draft well and if their current crop of young talent continues to develop like many people expect them to.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, they will be pretty mediocre, but it also remains to be seen what Aldridge will do without having to share touches with Randolph in the low post. He did show some flashes of what he can do. The big chore will be keeping him healthy enough to give them 75+ games next season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Portland is doomed before the season even begins.:thumbdown: