Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Buckeyes show class and maturity during BCS process...

Ohio State feeling left behind in BCS

COLUMBUS, Ohio — How'd Ohio State end up with the short straw?

This is all rather peculiar. To think there could be three teams at the top of the BCS with similar records — Missouri (what are you doing here?), West Virginia (wasn't Big East football supposed to be dead?) and Ohio State — and the blue bloods will be the odd men out for the national title game.

No national indignation can be heard. Few things highlight the change in college football more than that.

"Those teams who are not your traditional powers are beginning to take their place," Ohio State Athletic Director Gene Smith said in his office Wednesday. "The Boise States of the world are not a fluke."

"At the end of the day, when we went to 12 games, it changed the inventory," he said. "It's impossible to line up schedules where every BCS schools plays nothing but I-A programs. Its impossible mathematically and calendar wise."

So you get who you can get. Smith noted how one of his conference cousins had to find someone at the last minute this season. Michigan. The opponent's name was Appalachian State.

"I think people are looking at the Big Ten differently in general," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "It's going to take another bowl season to get that reputation back up."

"Obviously, when you perform poorly (in the Florida game), it's going to be one of those games people remember," tackle Kirk Barton said. "But the game that I've always remembered is when Nebraska beat Florida in the mid-1990s (62-24 in the Fiesta Bowl). That's as dominant a performance as ever been seen. But I think Florida won the national championship the next year."

Give that man an A in Gatorology.

"I'm a history major, I kind of remember stuff like that. Most people's memories are only about 15 seconds long."

Add up all the above, and Ohio State is third in a three-pony race. So we came here looking for righteous anger, and instead found resigned reality.

"It's on us, because we didn't get it done when we needed to," Barton said, meaning the 28-21 loss to Illinois. "We just have to look in the mirror. There's nobody to blame but yourself, and that's the most frustrating thing."

By Mike Lopresti, Gannett News Service

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...io-state_N.htm

Little Animal says it will take another bowl season to get the rep up. Prove it on the field.

AMEN

Barton knows his history and is taking the high road.

RIGHT ON

Barton says they only have themselves to blame for any failures.

DAMN RIGHT

AD Gene Smith gives props to Mizzou and WVU.

AWESOME

It's just so refreshing and hopeful to hear accountability and respect out of the Buckeyes. We haven't been getting that lately in some other parts of the country () but alas...nobody is perfect.

It wouldn't hurt to try though.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Props to the buckeyes that is the attitude to have. This championship game means NOTHING. I would be a hundred times more satisfied with a Rosebowl victory.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
Props to the buckeyes that is the attitude to have. This championship game means NOTHING. I would be a hundred times more satisfied with a Rosebowl victory.
But it's the Sears Trophy DM3.

You get a free garden hose from the Home and Garden Dept. of your local Sears if you win.

**Offer not valid after Febuary 1st, 2008. Garden hose must be red.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote