Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default St. Paddy's - The Local Tradition

How is St. Paddy's celebrated near you?

Here's a little Irish the Chicago Way...

Every year since 1962, the Chicago River has been dyed green to celebrate St. Patrick's day.

Nowadays, both the dyeing and a big parade take place the Saturday before the 17th. (Next year, they'll coincide when the 17th falls on a Saturday.) It's a uniquely Chicago tradition that tips its hat to the central role the Irish have played in the city's history.

For a few hours every year, the architectural landmarks that line the Chicago River acquire an aquatic front yard that's as vibrant as the neon green relish of a genuine Chicago hot dog.

The actual dye is orange. It turns green when it's churned into the water. The discovery of this phenomenom was made by members of Chicago's pipefitters union back in 1962, and the union has been dyeing the river for St. Pat's ever since.

The natural green of the river can be seen to the right, awaiting its transformation into the hypergreen to the left.

Each year, thousands line the banks of the Chicago River to see it turn green. Late in the afternoon, hundreds of tea-toddlers line the city's sidewalks to see the bar-hoppers turn green.

For a few hours each year, an emerald carpet spreads out before some of Chicago's most prominent architectural landmarks. From the left: the London Guaranty Building (with cupola), the twin towers of Bertrand Goldberg's Marina City, Mies van der Rohe's IBM Building, the cream color terra cotta of the Wrigley Building, and Skidmore, Owings Merill Equitable Building. The tall crane marks the construction site for Trump Tower.

Every year since 1962, the Chicago River has been dyed green to celebrate St. Patrick's day.

In 1962, over 100 pounds of dye were dumped into the river, leaving it green for days. Now, only 40 pounds are dispersed, but because the river was reversed to run backwards away from the lake, even one day later, the entire river for many blocks to the west remains a single shamrock-colored fairway.

Chicago's mania for St. Patrick's green is pervasive. To the left is the fountain in Daley Plaza; to the right, the lighted crest of the John Hancock Building.

Even the two-block square Merchandise Mart goes green for St. Patricks. To the left is Riverbend, to the right the Reid Murdoch Building and clock tower.

Last edited by Tarkus; 03-14-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Does the river ever freeze Tark? If so, has it ever been frozen for the parade?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

It'll freeze on occasion but I'm not sure if it's infringed on St. Paddy's before. I'll check into it...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

That's just the crazy stuff I think of when reading stories like this.

Great info though. Wonder if you become Irish if you drink from the river...

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I must ask...nay.... demand this thread be combined with my thread. And damn you Tark for trying to undermine my thread.

themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

:lol::lol::lol:

& here I was thinking that it had nothing to do with a thread asking for St. Paddy plans...
Old 03-14-2008, 03:03 AM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Dying the Chicago River Green, St. Patrick's Day

Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
I must ask...nay.... demand this thread be combined with my thread. And damn you Tark for trying to undermine my thread.

For god's sake, "let it go, just let it go"