Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Default Bold Predictions 2008

These didn't work out so well last year, but they're supposed to be bold, so here's another shot:

AFC North: No one will finish with a winning record.

This division has two bad teams (Baltimore and Cincinnati) and two mediocre teams (Cleveland and Pittsburgh). The Steelers take it at 8-8.

AFC South: Jacksonville wins the division.

The Colts are beat up and this is a very strong division. Watch out for Houston as a surprise playoff contender, maybe even division champ.

AFC East: Dolphins get another top-three draft pick.

The Patriots will be very good again, the Bills and Jets both figure to be wild card contenders, and the Dolphins have no players. I see Miami in the neighborhood of 3-13.

AFC West: Shawne Merriman finishes the year on IR.

Okay, I know this isn't terribly bold, but it's something. I think we see Chargers, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, in that order. The Chargers could be a Super Bowl contender with Merriman 100%, but I think the Chiefs and Raiders have legitimately improved from last season.

NFC North: Packers win the division again.

I don't believe in Minnesota's offense, especially once Adrian Peterson gets hurt, and their pass defense is still a question. The Lions are a work in progress and the Bears are a mess. I don't think Green Bay is 13-3 again, but I think they could win out at about 10-6.

NFC South: No one will finish with a winning record...

...because all of these teams suck. The Falcons should just take the year off, the Bucs are counting on too many guys who are old or injury-prone, and the Panthers just have nothing -- I'll believe in their running game when I see it, Steve Smith is out for the first couple of games, and that once-mighty defense is a shell. That leaves the Saints, but shoddy pass defense or a key injury will be enough to keep them at about 8-8.

NFC East: Two teams make the playoffs; the other two finish under .500.

Washington isn't going anywhere this season, but the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants all look like viable contenders in the NFC. I think two of them hold on and make it, but watch for injuries to derail one of them. The Giants are already stretched thin, and Dallas or Philadelphia could easily fall apart from just one or two key players going down.

NFC West: Cardinals, baby!

I really like their defense, and the passing game should be good. Seattle will push them, but even if the Seahawks win the division, Arizona will grab the last playoff spot.

AFC PLAYOFFS

Colts def. JAGUARS
STEELERS def. Jets

PATRIOTS def. Colts
Steelers def. CHARGERS

PATRIOTS def. Steelers

sleeper: Houston Texans

NFC PLAYOFFS

Seahawks def. PACKERS
SAINTS def. Eagles

COWBOYS def. Seahawks
CARDINALS def. Saints

COWBOYS def. Cardinals

sleeper: Minnesota Vikings

SUPER BOWL

Patriots def. Cowboys

---

Once again, as a disclaimer, most of these are deliberately bold predictions, sometimes exaggerating what I really believe. If no one in the AFC North OR NFC South wins 9 games, I'll eat my pants.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Muskie Hunter
Rookie Player

Muskie Hunter is on a distinguished road

My bold prediction is that the Jets take their division

My rediculiously bold prediction is that the Jets take the Packers in the Super Bowl.
Muskie Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Sports Central, Muskie Hunter! :wavey:

You're not from Madison, Wisconsin by any chance? I ask that because Madison used to have a minor-league baseball team called the Madison Muskies (they were an Oakland A's affiliate if I'm not mistaken).

But now that you're here, why not try your hand at our two game-picking contests? (And special thanks to Brad for stepping up to the mike on that).

Last edited by Anthony; 09-12-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote