Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 12-07-2002, 11:10 PM   #1
wingoilerfan
Grizzled Veteran

wingoilerfan is on a distinguished road
Default favorite rivalries??

What are some of your favorite rivalries? They could be rivalries between teams, teams' fans, or both ...

To me, a good rivalry is one where not only are the games interesting to watch, but the discussions between fans of the teams involved are good to read (provided they don't get TOO heated), as well ...

I'd say that the best rivalries involving my favorite teams are:

1. Wings vs Avs. Although it appeared that the nastiness of the rivalry had been sputtering out, it was rekindled again beginning with the final regular season matchup between the Wings and the Avs. In that game, Hasek and Roy nearly fought it out just like Roy and Vernon 5 years ago! Couple that with an intense and competitive playoff series and this rivalry has indeed been rekindled. It will be evn more interesting next season because CuJo has a bit of a history with the Avs in that the last time he met the Avs in the playoffs, he helped win the series and shut the Avs out in th last two games of that series in 1998.

2. Wings vs Blues. When these two teams get together, the result is often black-and-blue ... just like the black-and-blue Norris Division of old!

3. Wings vs Hawks. This traditional rivalry is, at least IMO, making a comeback. The games haven't had much on-ice nastiness between the two teams as compared to the last 2 decades, but it has been great, competitive hockey to watch ... which is all I can ask for. Add that to the fact that it is impossible to predict how these games will turn out on the scoreboard (and believe me, I've tried. I'm afraid that I would have to resort to using Boolean algebra to predict outcomes for these games ... :lol: ) ... when I had predicted a 2-1 game, I got a 5-0 game. Not only that, but there have been comebacks from 3+ goal deficits and each team trading blowout wins ... yep, I think this rivalry's making a comeback.

4. Oilers vs Canucks. I'm not exactly sure when this rivalry began, but I think it has to have begun in the last 5 years. In 1997, the two teams got involved in a bench-clearing brawl in which then-Canuck enforcer Gino Odjick said that all he could see were punches for the next three minutes ... that coming after he ran at then-Oiler goalie CuJo. Most of the nastiness on the ice between the two teams was the famed Laraque vs Brashear fistfights. These two teams have been noted for playing wild, high-scoring games, as well.

5. Oilers vs Avs. With both of these teams being in the same division and often chasing each other for the division lead, the Oilers-Avs rivalry has, at times, been nearly as intense as the Wings-Avs rivalry.

6. Oilers vs Stars. One of my favorite rivalries ... before last playoff season, the Oilers and Stars have met each other in the playoffs for 5 consecutive playoff seasons. WOW! Each playoff chapter between the two teams has gotten more intense and the games have been closer. The 2001 playoff season had 4 of those 6 games being decided in OT. Although the Stars have dominated the regular-season series each year dating back to at least 1997 (Although the Oilers won the most recent game ... WOO HOO! ), the Oilers have given the Stars a run for their money each year in the playoffs (except for last year ... :lol: )!

There are a lot of other rivalries I could have included, but I just posted about the ones that came to mind ...
Old 12-07-2002, 11:47 PM   #2
MrThick
Sports Enthusiast

MrThick is on a distinguished road

Well it is a rather new rivalry, but I'm gonna say the Leafs and the Islanders.
MrThick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:50 PM   #3
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

Tucker-Peca
Old 12-08-2002, 12:02 AM   #4
MrThick
Sports Enthusiast

MrThick is on a distinguished road

I really wanted some sort of big fight or some lunatic in the stands to do something at the game last night. Too bad the Leafs lost.
MrThick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:57 AM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Habs vs. Toronto is obviously #1. There are sometimes more T.O. fans in Montreal on those Saturday nites, and vise versa. The history is astouding. French vs. English, Blue vs. Red, Good vs. Bad (you be the judge which is which ).

Oilers vs. Stars has got to be up there. Man, those 5 series were GEMS. They were amazing; I think I watched every one. ...Wings vs. Blues isn't one. Sure, they're in the same division and ya the Blues stole a president's trophy one year but the Blues aren't close and the intensitiy level isn't as high as the Wings vs. Avs games. Those ones are amazing -- it's a surprise that in the 1999-2000 season, those two teams played the most recent penalty free game
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 10:35 AM   #6
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

It's been that long?
Old 12-09-2002, 10:20 PM   #7
wingoilerfan
Grizzled Veteran

wingoilerfan is on a distinguished road

"The history is astouding. French vs. English, Blue vs. Red, Good vs. Bad (you be the judge which is which )."

Definitely ... :nod:. As for which is which ... I'll just stick with Leafs-Habs. Right now, I'm not sure which side to pick ... :lol:

Oilers-Stars ... I hope that these two teams meet in the playoffs again soon. If there is anyone who is tired of this matchup, I'm not one of them. Each series between the two teams in the playoffs has gotten better IMO (save for 1997, which was the best series between the teams ... IMO, anyway ) ...

Wings-Blues ... it probably isn't a big rivalry compared to Wings-Avs or some of the others, but from what I've seen, these two teams have had some battles over the years. That was a good game last night (Of course, if the Blues had won, I'd probably be saying something different ... ) ... and maybe this can become something again if the Wings and Blues end up fighting it out for the division lead (and with the Blues injuries this season, the chances of a race between the Wings and Blues is likely to fade) ...

I didn't mention this earlier , but Oilers-Flames has always been a big rivalry (most of that was in the 1980s before I woke up and began watching hockey ... :lol: ) ... in the late 1990s, the rivalry appeared to die down a little IMO when the Oilers were making the playoffs whereas the Flames missed out. However, the Oilers may remember that last season, they were eliminated from playoff contention after a loss to the Flames, allowing Vancouver and Phoenix to squeak in ahead of them. The Oilers and Flames still play some intense games, but IMO it isn't the same unless both teams are vying for the playoffs or better yet, facing one another in the playoffs ...
Old 12-10-2002, 08:19 AM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

You know, there's only been like 4 guys that have been there for all 5 DAL/EDM playoff matchups... Belfour was one but now he's gone... hmmmmmmm........ Modano and Marchant are two (remember that OT Marchant goal? Sweeeeeeeeet)... I forget the others.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:35 AM   #9
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Flames vs Oilers.

GO FLAMES GO

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote