Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-24-2002, 09:24 PM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default Charlie Garner Should Get Some MVP Votes

Yes, I said Charlie Garner. The man that sparks the Oakland offense (next to Rich Gannon of course). They list him and set him as a running back, but he's a lot more than that. You could call him, as Merril Hoge likes to say, a factor back, the guy is a weapon. You see, Charlie Garner is doing in Oakland what Marshall Faulk has done in St. Louis, the only problem being that the stats don't really meausure up. This season, Garner has 827 yards rushing, w/ 6 TD's (on only 153 carries, a 5.4 ypc) and 941 yards recieving on 91 catches w/ 4 TD's ( which means he has a chance to go 1,000 and 1,000, it will be tough, but he's got an outside shot, he's likley to go over 1,000 recieving in his last game, and if he has a great day running the fooball, he could go over 1,000 rushing as well). Now the number that probably grabs your attention most is the 91 catches, which for a running back, is amazing. Now granted, his quarterback did throw 604 passes (411 of them completions), but the Raiders had a solid running game, so it's not like passing is ALL they did. But the thing is, Garner caught, by my guess, around 75% of those passes while in the backfield, dumpoffs if you will, which means he had to make something happen in order to rack up that many yards. He is a duel threat and I personally think without him, Rich Gannon would not have the success he's having now, and thats coming from a HUGE Rich Gannon Fan. He has been the Raiders main offensive weapon all season long, and will give them a huge advantage come playoff time. Garner should have made the Pro Bowl, and likley will if there's an injury to one of the AFC representitives. The MVP voters need to strongly consider Charlie Garner, he may not be a statistical leader in the NFL, but if you consider what the MVP is supposed to be about, being the most valuable player to your team, that category #25 does rule.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:26 PM   #2
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Now that I hear of the 1000/1000 mark; he defintley deserves some votes. That is a very hard thing to accomplish.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 02:18 AM   #3
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

He hasn't reached that yet, I said he has a chance, he'll most likley go 1,000 recieving and around 900 rushing, but who knows, anything can happen.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:57 AM   #4
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Garner ain't going to get over 1,000 yards this season, because Gannon is setting his eyes on Dan Marino's record. The weak KC pass defense is perfect, look for Gannon to wreck up about 350+ yards again. But if Oakland wins the time of possesion battle by a MARGIN! And they somehow get about 600 yards of total offense, maybe Garner reaching the 1,000 mark is possible.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 07:57 AM   #5
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Garner is not getting 1000 yds rushing, Gannon is not breaking Marino's record. (He needs 475 yds passing vs KC), and Garner is not getting a sniff of the MVP award........nor should he.

Oakland IS on a march to win the Super Bowl though, dad-gum-it.

I LOVE Charlie Garner, don't get me wrong. Aside from Rich Gannon I think he is the Raiders most important offensive piece. The fact that he is CLOSE to the 1000/1000 season is a big achievement.

But MVP???

No, he is not that. Oakland is using him just the way they should and he is flourishing. Props to the Raider braintrust and big props to C. Garner.

If a Raider wins MVP it's gonna be (rightfully so) Rich Gannon.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 10:05 AM   #6
Shrike
Sports Enthusiast

Shrike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Charlie Garner Should Get Some MVP Votes

Quote:
Originally posted by The J
Yes, I said Charlie Garner.
You mis-spelled "I'm only kidding."

I love Charlie Garner. He is a helluva player. There is NO WAY that he should even be considered for the MVP.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:37 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

A "devil's advocate" would point to where the Raiders rank in rushing offense - which is 24th - and the campaign to have Garner named MVP would go straight to you know where!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote