Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #10246
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
No, I think I saw three movies released in 2006. I never go to the movie theater. Ever. I watch all my movies in class, on Netflix or on TV.
I am a V.I.P. member of my local movie theater, so I never see a new release where I am from in theatres for less than $4.00 (and sometimes for free). If I had to pay regular ticket prices, and especially what you pay per ticket in California, I wouldn't venture out to the theatre as often as I do.

I am also a member of the Art Center where I grew up, and attend a lot of the independent feature films at the Art Center Cinema for a discount price for being an Art Center member.

Quote:
Incidentally, I'm taking Leonard Maltin's class at SC. Basically we watch new releases and a guest speaker comes on talks about the movie. Last semester one of the movies shown was The Last King of Scotland and Forest Whitaker was the speaker. No assignments either; only a midterm and final. Suffice to say, I'm looking forward to the class.
So, did you watch The Last King of Scotland?

Also, Forest Whitaker is an underrated actor who is getting ungodly amounts of praise for The Last King of Scotland because he has done so much great work without much recognition.

I just watched him in American Gun last night, which earned an Independent Spirit Award nomination for Best Film this year, and he was excellent.

Quote:
I assume Grandma's Boy will make your Top Ten. Which Top Ten, well I'll leave that up to you.

P.S. I've actually seen two films released in 2006: Grandma's Boy and Art School Confidential. So, in effect, Grandma's Boy was the best of 2006 for me. Ha!
It's close, although I have seen some really awful 2006 films. I have actually seen 169 movies released in 2006, and will probably end up watching around 250 by this summer.

And, because I know you need to know, Art School Confidential was much better than Grandma's Boy.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #10247
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

No, my old roommate took the class last semester and told me about it before I enrolled for this semester (class is on Thursdays). But with the good comes the bad I suppose. He watched Scotland and Flags of Our Fathers, which he liked. He also had to see Running With Scissors, a movie I don't think he enjoyed that much.

And I'll argue to the death that Grandma's Boy was better than Art School. Neither was very good, but Art was much more pondering and uninteresting.

P.S. If things go correctly I'll watch Nacho Libre today. I don't have high hopes for that one either.

P.P.S. I forgot, I also saw The Break-Up and Accepted. Accepted is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The Break-Up was adequate/mediocre. First time I've ever seen Vince Vaughn strain for comedy.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.

Last edited by da12ken; 01-09-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #10248
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

No, my old roommate took the class last semester and told me about it before I enrolled for this semester (class is on Thursdays). But with the good comes the bad I suppose. He watched Scotland and Flags of Our Fathers, which he liked. He also had to see Running With Scissors, a movie I don't think he enjoyed that much.

I too have heard Running with Scissors is a mess (although I haven't seen it), felt The Last King of Scotland was a middle of the road flick and was one of the few who thought Flags of Our Fathers held up amongst Eastwood's best.

Quote:
And I'll argue to the death that Grandma's Boy was better than Art School. Neither was very good, but Art was much more pondering and uninteresting.
Neither of them were very good, but Art School Confidential had John Malkovich.

Argue against that, *****!

Quote:
P.S. If things go correctly I'll watch Nacho Libre today. I don't have high hopes for that one either.
I have decided that my sole reason for existing at SCMB is to recommend to you much better films to watch than Art School Confidential, Grandma's Boy and Nacho Libre.

Last edited by tobynosker; 01-09-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #10249
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
P.P.S. I forgot, I also saw The Break-Up and Accepted. Accepted is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The Break-Up was adequate/mediocre. First time I've ever seen Vince Vaughn strain for comedy.
I will award you points for your opinion of Accepted, although I enjoyed Jonah Hill's line "Oh great, now I can finally get hepatitis" when they arrived at the abandoned building they will use to become there fake University.

I only gave The Break-Up a **1/2 rating, but that movie hit extremely close to home for me after I went through a very similar and painful experience a little over a year ago.

I wish that they wouldn't have strained so much for comedy throughout the entire picture, and instead took a complete 180-degree turn into a drama (ala Chasing Amy) once they had there initial fight.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #10250
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Grandma's Boy had video games and a karate monkey!

Quote:
I have decided that my sole reason for existing at SCMB is too recommend to you much better films to watch than Art School Confidential, Grandma's Boy and Nacho Libre.
LOL thanks Toby. I should mention along with Nacho Libre I'll be receiving Touch of Evil and Double Indemnity from Netflix today if things go according to plan. If I see recent releases I usually only watch comedies, just to keep in touch with what is being released. I'll probably check out Little Miss Sunshine and Talladega Nights in the near future. But usually I Netflix films I want to see/have heard good things about.

Some of my recent "good" rentals have included 8 1/2, The Big Combo and Laura (film noir streak), all of which I would argue are among the best films ever. Elevator to the Gallows was also a pretty neat French piece. Had a score by Miles Davis.

P.S. Without question Jonah Hill was the best thing in Accepted.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #10251
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

You watch more older films than I do, although I try to play catch-up through a local film discussion series I participate in every couple of months.

Touch of Evil is one of the best films of all-time, while I am a huge Billy Wilder fan and loved the hell out of Double Indemnity (behind Sunset Boulevard as my favorite Wilder film).

Little Miss Sunshine is fun, and has one of the best third acts in recent memory (***.5/****).
Old 01-09-2007, 04:33 PM   #10252
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Yea I prefer older films because they tend to be shorter, smarter and better. Not crazy about this postmodern era we live in lol, although I've seen some great recent releases. Murderball and Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut, which is actually 45 minutes than the regular version) were good movies for any era.

I hope Orson doesn't let me down again. I watched The Trial, Welles' adaptation of the Kafka novel. Meh.

P.S. There is a strong chance that Netflix delivers the movies to my house instead of my apartment. In that case I'll either rewatch Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The Searchers.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #10253
nojob67
Grizzled Veteran

nojob67 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Toby, I will be checking out Tape shortly as you suggested
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #10254
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Haven't seen The Trial, wasn't a fan of the original cut of Kingdom of Heaven and enjoyed Murderball.

I consider 2006 to be the year of the documentaries, as Awesome: I ****in' Shot That, Dave Chappelle's Block Party, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, An Inconvenient Truth, Jesus Camp, Neil Young: Heart of Gold, Who Killed the Electric Car?, Why We Fight and Wordplay were all enjoyable flicks.

I still need to see The Heart of the Game, This Film is Not Yet Rated and The U.S. vs. John Lennon.

P.S. I disliked The Searchers (but probably because my dad was a die-hard John Wayne fan, and I liked Gary Cooper more), but I never get tired of Raging Bull or Taxi Driver.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #10255
AmpleSound
Grizzled Veteran

AmpleSound is on a distinguished road

Alright Grandma's Boy was hilarious! When they put all the pot together in one mix, and weren't playing anything on the xbox, just pressing buttons. That was hilarious!

Semi chick flick, but what did you guys think of "Failure to Launch"? Matthew McConaughey was great in that movie, also one of my favorite actors. Plus Terry Bradshaw did a heck of a job lol! Matthew McConaughey also had an especially interesting part in "Frailty".
Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #10256
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

*gasp* Dislike The Searchers? Blasphemy.

Actually, I don't like watching Raging Bull and Taxi Driver. Bull in particular because Jake is such a bastard. I haven't seen either in awhile. I have a feeling after watching both again, particular Taxi, I'll think they're both a little too high on the pedestal. I was enamored with Taxi the first time I watched the movie, but the more I think about it the less I think about it.

Dodi Dorn (who edited KoH as well as Memento) came into my class. She said Ridley Scott agreed to the theatrical version after the studio pressured him to keep the running time down. Considering what was left out of the original version I'm not surprised most people didn't like it.

P.S. Haven't seen Failure, although I think it's my queue. One wonders though wtf the studio was thinking releasing a movie with that title.

P.P.S. Going back to Linklater, what did you guys think of Waking Life? Personally I thought it was bogus.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #10257
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Memento
One of my favorite films of all-time.

Christopher Nolan's direction, along with Dody Dorn's editing, David Julyan's score and Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano's acting make it one of the most overlooked movies in the modern era.

Quote:
She said Ridley Scott agreed to the theatrical version after the studio pressured him to keep the running time down. Considering what was left out of the original version I'm not surprised most people didn't like it.
I dislike a number of Ridley Scott films, though.

I wasn't a fan of either Black Hawk Down or Gladiator, and I despise Hannibal.

Yet, unlike most, I enjoyed his romantic comedy A Good Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpleSound
Semi chick flick, but what did you guys think of "Failure to Launch"? Matthew McConaughey was great in that movie, also one of my favorite actors. Plus Terry Bradshaw did a heck of a job lol! Matthew McConaughey also had an especially interesting part in "Frailty".
Failure to Launch is the perfect definition for the word "meh!"

Terry Bradshaw was comical and I love Kathy Bates (even when she is naked in About Schmidt), but Matthew McConaughey is a horrible actor with still a minimal amount of potential.

McConaughey's best role was in the 2001 flick Thirteen Conversations About One Thing.

Quote:
P.P.S. Going back to Linklater, what did you guys think of Waking Life? Personally I thought it was bogus.
Average at best.

An interesting experiment with rotoscoping, but it works much better in A Scanner Darkly.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #10258
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Memento overlooked? Maybe it's because I live in LA and in a film school bubble, but that movie isn't overlooked at all. People always rave about it along with American Beauty, Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption. Personally, I think all four are a little overrated.

*floodgates open*

Old 01-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #10259
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Memento overlooked? Maybe it's because I live in LA and in a film school bubble, but that movie isn't overlooked at all. People always rave about it along with American Beauty, Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption. Personally, I think all four are a little overrated.

*floodgates open*
I meant overlooked when it came to receiving recognition for The Academy Awards or The Golden Globes.

Memento got screenplay nods, but that is where they place all of the movies that are fresh, unique, interesting and entertaining yet won't get recognized for anything else.

But I will go on the record as saying Pulp Fiction sucks.

And if the floodgates are going to open up, it's a good thing I have to run to prepare for a high school basketball game.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #10260
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

I don't give much credences to the awards. The Oscars basically come down to what a thousand elitists in LA think/want you to think. And even worse, they have a tendency to make up for their screw-ups (Pacino for Scent of a Woman), further diluting the Academy's credibility.

I have to prepare for Nacho or Bickle.

Closed Thread